Mirajuar F-1J

Started by Tophe, October 21, 2004, 11:32:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tophe

Here is my improved Mirage F-1 1/72nd Heller-model (of the early 1990s, destroyed now, never completed). The Mirage III behind stands as a reference, I wanted to create a low wing F-1, closer to the III/V than the real F-1. I have just intalled the port wing on starboard and opposite, I knew the airfoil was wrong pushing downward instead of upward, but that makes this Mirage stay on the ground, and that is okay for a model...  :) I know GlennLyn reverted the blades of his XPC-51 Mustang turned in the other direction (and maybe Alvis did the same kind of hard-work for his biplane F4U, I don't remember) - that is better for pilots, but I was just a modeller, appreciating objects, not flying machines.
But I went further, installing a Jaguar canopy instead of the Mirage one. I don't like the complete single-seat Jaguar much, but the canopy and large wind-screen is very beautiful. Concerning the Jaguar, I prefer the French sharp nose than the British nose, but I know the French army was very jealous of the British nose, providing night operation ability... (This preference of mine is not nationalistic at all: for the Alpha-Jet, I prefer the German sharp nose than the French round one.)
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

Scooterman

Nice!  Looks like a early '50s design.......

Captain Canada

Yeah, looking good, Tophe !

Too bad you never got to finish her, eh ?

And I agree with Bradley, it does have a very 50's French look to her !

Sweet !

:wub:  
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

elmayerle

Change the incidence when you do the swap and it'll be hard to notice.  You may, though, if you really want to make hte swap less noticeable, redo the flaps so the swap isn't as noticeable.  Me, I'm lazy and probably would've just modifed toe wing roots to get the proper dihedral instead of anhedral and used the wings on the side they were intended for; with appropriate provisions for the MLG wells (likely "borrowed" from a Mirage III kit.  You really should finish it as the -01 aircraft in the rollout paint scheme.
"Reality is the leading cause of stress amongst those in touch with it."
--Jane Wagner and Lily Tomlin

Captain Canada

....oh, and you need to add 'na' to the end of the manufacturers name

:ph34r:  
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Tophe

Quoteyou need to add 'na' to the end of the manufacturers name
north-american? non-available? narcotic-agriculture (psychedelic-mushroom dpt)?:)  

Tophe

Quotejust modifed toe wing roots to get the proper dihedral instead of anhedral
I prefer anhedral Lippish-style, for a Wing-in-Ground Mirage-Jaguar... :wacko:
Seriously, your expertise and advices are very nice Evan, thanks. :)  

Captain Canada

No, just add 'na' to the end......

Mirajuarna.......... :lol:

:wub:  
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Tophe

QuoteNo, just add 'na' to the end...... Mirajuarna.......... :lol:  :wub:
Funny, that marijuana-plane meets my psychedelic abreviation NA somehow! :)  

John Howling Mouse

Cool, Tophe.
I often wish you'd get back into the styrene end of modeling.   -_-

Then again, your graphics work gets the point across just as well, no?   ;)

Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

nev

Very nice Tophe.  I think the real Mirage F-1 is a real ugly bird, but you've changed her into something much better looking  :wub:  
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

Tophe

Thanks Nev, thanks JHM.
Well, if I had the Photoshop huge skills or our dear GlennLyn, I may try to create a low wing Mirage F-1 with graphics only. Maybe I may try with my Canadian dear Corel-PhotoPaint... (if it is not good, I will be the guilty one, as beginner, not because Corel tools are bad, they are very wonderful).

Tophe

Quotewith my Canadian dear Corel-PhotoPaint...
It works... In just a few minutes :

Swamphen

And it looks exactly like a Super Etendard...

Tophe

QuoteAnd it looks exactly like a Super Etendard...
;) Not "exactly", according to me... It is a Mirage turned in the Etendard way, but keeping the precise air intake cones and nose of its own. That is what most of us do in the What-if world: mixing and inventing, inspired by something, to add a derivative in our favourite families :)
Though, you are absolutely right: I could have used parts of the Heller Super-Etendard as well. :)