1/72 Curtiss-Fairey Kittiwake FB.5

Started by KiwiZac, September 13, 2015, 02:48:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KiwiZac

Hi all,
The ultimate version of the navalised P-40, the Kittiwake FB.5, was cancelled before the prototype was completed. It would've been a real beast of a fighter/attacked, with the big Griffon 65 driving a six-bladed contra-rotating propeller. To help with stability it received a taller tail as well as the bubble canopy first trialled on Mk.I WA031 during WW2, and a semi-retractable tail hook relocated to aft of the tailwheel. The prototype, never given a serial, was scrapped in late 1957.

A full-size replica of the aborted FB.5 project was built over several years by a team of enthusiasts in Portsmouth. The project was purchased by collector Lawrence Hardy, who contracted the team to complete the aircraft to airworthy standards. Upon completion the aircraft was trucked to the Aircraft Restoration Company at Duxford, where it was painted in FAA colours and first flew on 18/12/2014 as G-XLHV. It remains at Duxford, operated by Historic Flying Ltd on Hardy's behalf.

This model will represent G-XLHV, wearing the typical FAA scheme of Extra-Dark Sea Grey uppers and Sky sides and underside but with a distinctive red spinner.

Well, it would, if any of it were true! As some of you may recall, I came up with the Kittiwake concept some years ago and it's only now that my skills (and income) have caught up with me to the point I can actually build some of the aircraft. The basis for this build is Pegasus' very tidy XP-40Q, with some additions:

- turned brass long-fairing Hispano cannon for the Fairey Firefly by Master Models
- Aeroclub Seafire 47 prop
- vertical stab and rudder modified from a Revell P-47
- Italeri A-4 tailhook
- carb air intake from an Airfix Wellington

The Pegasus kit has beautiful surface detail but doesn't build as nicely as it looks - some modelling skill required! If I'd got one 11-12yr ago I'm sure it would've been binned as too hard for me. OOB the wing has no dihedral so some shaving on the fuselage, along with the tape you see, was needed, and I had to squeeze the canopy into place. The fuselage fits together nicely, though. The kit has white metal landing gear and prop (not used) which are very nice, but as there was some mould alignment issues I've used some Academy P-40 mainwheels.

It's an exciting build for me! So far the biggest mod apart from the tail was removing the moulded carb intake under the nose and reshaping the lower cowl to look more Griffon-y. The canopy went on after these photos. The next bit is sanding the radiator inlet fairings to be a bit smoother, then it's on with the paint.
Zac in NZ
#avgeek, modelbuilder, photographer, writer. Callsign: "HANDBAG"
https://linktr.ee/zacyates

zenrat

Nice.  The cannons look particularly tasty.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Captain Canada

Does it ever ! Nice work Zac what a little beauty this is going to be,

:cheers: :wub: :bow:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

KiwiZac

Thanks gents!

It's very cold out there this afternoon but I managed to finish it!

I'll do some better photos next week :-) Special thanks to Rickshaw for the prop!
Zac in NZ

Army of One

Great looking a/c..........awesome build.......i love those colours.....i gotta do me something in those colours......
BODY,BODY....HEAD..!!!!

IF YER HIT, YER DEAD!!!!

PR19_Kit

Why does it say 'MB5' to me? it must be the contra-prop and the cannons as there's nothing else of the shape that's even vaguely angular.

Looks great, and NOTHING like a P-40 at all.  :thumbsup: :bow:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

DogfighterZen

"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

Captain Canada

Wow. Is that ever nice ! love the look of this one.

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

KiwiZac

Aw shucks. Thanks folks  :thumbsup:

I think the MB.5 comparison would be like you say - the prop, cannon, and the massive schnozz. I'm very pleased with how that turned out! Actually I'm very pleased with the whole thing.

I may add a couple more decals to it but the idea is that, because the real deal was cancelled before completion, the replica wears a very "generic" paint scheme.

Cap'n! I'll start on yours this weekend, I discovered some lovely RCN markings in the stash...
Zac in NZ

The Rat

That looks like it's ready to kick butt!  :thumbsup: :cheers:
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

Old Wombat

Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Captain Canada

I had to come back and look/ re-read this one Zac. Love it. Started a few Google searches to garner a bit more info as well. Love how different the P-40Q looks from the original, and your whole secenerio makes sense. Another model to add to the 'to do' list.

:drink:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

KiwiZac

Thanks again all! I took some more, less cluttered photos. Expect to see them tomorrow when I'm on a proper PC but until then here's a profile:

Zac in NZ