Hurricane Mk Ib trop of 208 Squadron R.A.F. Egypt 1941

Started by NARSES2, September 14, 2015, 07:18:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NARSES2

With the success of the prototype cannon armed Hurricane in the Battle of Britain the type was ordered into production in October 1940 with the addition of 2 0.303" machine guns in each wing to supplement the two 20mm cannon. Production was fairly limited as the Mk II Hurricane was soon to enter production and all those produced were tropicalized and sent out to the Middle East where they saw service in Egypt, Lybia and Syria. Their twin cannon punch proved devastating for the lightly armoured Italian types it faced but by the time the Luftwaffe entered the fray the Mk I was showing its age. Never the less it soldiered on into late 1941 and towards the end was mainly used in a ground support role armed with a pair of 250lb bombs.

Subsequently Hurricanes armed with eight 0.303" mg's became "a's", two 20mm plus four 0.303" "b's", four 20mm's "c's" and two 40mm's "d's".

Kit is the new tool Airfix kit with the addition of the Freightdog 20mm gun pods and a Vokes filter from an Airfix Hurricane Mk II which could have been made for it. Paints are my usual culprits, in this case mainly Humbrol and Xtracrylic. The markings came from a combination of the kits and the squadron badge and serial number from the DP Casper sheet " Rebellion in Iraq and Exporter". The real Mk I trop this model is based on had its lower nose painted in a copy of the Italian sand and squiggle camouflage to confuse enemy ground troops but I didn't fancy replicating that ! Maybe next time ? All in all an enjoyable, simple project.

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Captain Canada

Nice one Chris ! What an excellent build. Love the camo and colours, really suit her. The Vokes and cannon look great as well. I love the underside shot very nice work.

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Librarian

Captain sums up my feelings pretty well....love the gun pods, tempted to scratch some to my scale. What's the colour underside...at a guess its some form of Sky but you can't always tell with photography?

PR19_Kit

Super job there, I love those lightning flashes, great stuff all round.  :thumbsup: :bow:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Glenn Gilbertson

Good one  :thumbsup: - and has just taken one of my ideas for the B.o.B. build!

Mossie

I like this Chris, certainly a subtle one.  I think when it's displayed folks will look, at first glance think it's a IId, then have a 'hang on a minute' moment and back up a few steps!
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

zenrat

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

NARSES2

Quote from: Librarian on September 14, 2015, 08:03:54 AM
What's the colour underside...at a guess its some form of Sky but you can't always tell with photography?

It's Humbrol 23 Duck Egg Blue. Only available in enamel, but it's still touch dry in a hour. The books etc mention a light blue and aren't much help on the actual colour used. Thorvic pointed me this way from an Xtradecal sheet which suggests it as a near match. I wasn't sure at first but with her topsides done it suits  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

TallEng

The British have raised their security level from "Miffed" to "Peeved". Soon though, security levels may be raised yet again to "Irritated" or even "A Bit Cross". Londoners have not been "A Bit Cross" since the Blitz in 1940 when tea supplies ran out for three weeks