Messerschmitt Bf 110 Sternschnuppe

Started by zenrat, September 15, 2015, 02:41:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Weaver

Quote from: PR19_Kit on September 17, 2015, 02:05:25 AM
Quote from: Rick Lowe on September 16, 2015, 01:06:31 PM
But could you negate the torque by having the screws turn in opposite directions?

Cheers

They'd be doing that anyway if both engines were of the same configuration.

There'd be zero torque reaction from the engine pod so the asymmetric thrust and drag would be an overriding factor in the yaw characteristics of the airframe.

On the Bv 141 the asymetric drag from the cockpit pod balanced the asymetric yaw force exerted on the fin by the prop wash. However that can't happen with this configuration because the fin isn't behind the props, and even if it was, I'm not sure that the wash from push-pull props would have the same effect. You'd have to hope that the drag from the engine pod and the fuselage were about equal, and/or vary their distance from the centre line to compensate.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

zenrat

I haven't really considered any of those issues.  I might put a second vertical tail directly behind the props.  That'll fix it... ;D
It's all about how it looks though really.

So today I chopped the end off the fuselage and narrowed the stump.  This is to fit the Stuka vertical tail.
I started building the wing centre onto the nacelle and cut into the fuselage to fit the Bf 109 wing to it.

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Captain Canada

I was thinking the same thing, it's about looks. And I like the way it looks ! I wouldn't want to see too much thinking go into it, you'll end up with this bit to compensate for that bit and it'ss end up looking like a space fighter  :thumbsup:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

jcf

Give it this nose and really confuse people.  ;D

Bf 110 V9

zenrat

I'm resisting temptation to mod the nose but I do have a spare Stuka engine knocking around...

No.  I'll stick with the original plan which involves the 110 having 2 engines and the Jumo going to a D520...

Fred

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

Captain Canada

I've never seen a V9 before...I thought that was a totally different aeroplane in the pic ? Off to the web we go....

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

zenrat

Fred

PR19_Kit

Looks like an asymmetric, single engine Meteor in that view.  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

zenrat

It does doesn't it.  And that's given me the name I was trying to find.  Not Meteor, as that's the same in German and English, but Shooting Star (Sternschnuppe).

It's pure Messerschmitt though.  Apart from the Junkers fin lying behind it.

It's coming together quite quickly - which makes me suspicious.  Something must be about to go wrong.
Basic centre section construction is finished but needs filing into shape to get the correct wing profile smoothed out.
Then some holes and gaps need filling and I can attach the (Bf 109) wings at which point I'll find out how long the tailwheel leg needs to be to get clearance for the back prop.
Fred

Captain Canada

Nice...coming along nice ! I wouldn't have thought it looked like a meteor if it wasn't brought up, but to tell you the truth, I really don't see it ! maybe I haven't spent enough time around the Meteor  :thumbsup:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Captain Canada on September 20, 2015, 08:15:22 AM
Nice...coming along nice ! I wouldn't have thought it looked like a meteor if it wasn't brought up, but to tell you the truth, I really don't see it ! maybe I haven't spent enough time around the Meteor  :thumbsup:

If I had time I'd throw together a mock-up from my VAST collection of M'box Meteor NF11/12/14 kits and show you what I mean.  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

Quote from: Captain Canada on September 18, 2015, 08:26:18 PM
I've never seen a V9 before...I thought that was a totally different aeroplane in the pic ?

Yup looks like an Arado 240
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

The Wooksta!

It's an early 110 with an Ar 240 nose photoshopped in.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

The Wooksta!

There's a whole family of whifs there, should anyone care to give it a whirl...
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

zenrat

Fred