DONE +++ 1:72 Fokker D.XXI-5, Jagevingen (Norwegian Air Force)

Started by Dizzyfugu, September 15, 2015, 05:11:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dizzyfugu

A modified PM Models kit, to go down with the Norwegian Gladiators.

The kit looks so primitive that putting much effort into it will probably not be worthwhile. But I found the historic -5 variant with a Pegasus engine instead of the standard Mercury, and I have proper donation parts at hand... A quickie, I think.  ;)

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Dizzyfugu

Before things become boring (and while the varnish on the He 100 dries for final beauty pics), we'll start off with the third GB project: the Fokker D.XXI-5 with a Pegasus engine in Norwegian service... Here's the different engine I'll implant into the PM Models kit's nose - from a KP PZL 37 Los bomber, and with a new propeller, made from an Academy Bf 109E and a spinner of uncertain origin:

1:72 Fokker D.XXI-5; aircraft "440" of Norwegian Army Air Service's Jagevingen; Fornebu, near Oslo, Norway; April 1940 (Whif/modified PM Models kit) - WiP by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

Captain Canada

Interesting this is going to be ! An aeroplane I know nothing about, so it's always fun to see one come together in your style.

:thumbsup: :wub:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

KiwiZac

I built this in the Matchbox version as a kid and it was a well-played-with model, so this will be fun to watch!
Zac in NZ
#avgeek, modelbuilder, photographer, writer. Callsign: "HANDBAG"
https://linktr.ee/zacyates

Dizzyfugu

I think that you built another incarnation of the Pioneer 2 model, which came also in a PM Models and Matchbox re-boxing.

Besides, there's an even older vintage Frog kit - and it is different from the Pioneer 2 kit - but looks just as crude and clumsy. Besides, there's also a much newer MPM offering in 1:72 in various versions (e. g. for the Finnish, Dutrch and Danish version, and even the Finnish prototype with a retractable landing gear), but you pay about 4-5 times for it.
The good thing is, though, that the old kit comes OOB with an alternative ski landing gear (for the Finnish version) - even though I will stick to the standard option for the Norwegian build.

NARSES2

I like the D.XXI, built a few of the Special Hobby kits which is a very nice rendition of it. Looking forward to this
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Captain Canada

Looks good, and even tho simple the additions will bring her to life ! And quickly as well  :thumbsup:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Dizzyfugu

Thank you. Well, it's a VERY basic kit, even though fit ain't bad, and while fiddling with it I think that the Fokker D.XXI has some serious potential. I can imagine a biplane made from it, or changing the engine into a Merlin (which has already been done as a whif - looks like a Hurricane on a diet  :blink:).

Progress remains quick. Basic painting has also already been done, I think that this one will be one of my fastest builds ever!  :rolleyes:

Dizzyfugu

Interim status from painting the kit yesterday evening. Benchmark are contemporary Gloster Gladiators; some of these aircraft carried AFAIK an improvised(?) camouflage net in earth brown or olive drab over the aluminum dope basis on the upper surfaces. I adapt this for my Jagevingen Fokker:

1:72 Fokker D.XXI-5; aircraft "440" of Norwegian Army Air Service's Jagevingen; Fornebu, near Oslo, Norway; April 1940 (Whif/modified PM Models kit) - WiP by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

perttime

Guns in the wings only?
(Pegasus is larger in diameter than Mercury)

Dizzyfugu

Yes. Any D.XXI has its armament in or under the wings.

Captain Canada

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

perttime

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on September 24, 2015, 05:08:37 AM
Yes. Any D.XXI has its armament in or under the wings.
I'm not quite sure about that. Right now the Finnish Wikipedia article is the only source I can find, but I've seen books mentioning fuselage machineguns and moving guns from fuselage to wings for the Twin Wasp Junior powered version. I cannot see them in photos that I can find now but nose-installed guns are not always very obviously visible.