B-52

Started by KJ_Lesnick, September 15, 2015, 06:15:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KJ_Lesnick

Why did LeMay want the B-52's canopy to be changed from a nice fighter-style bubble-canopy to the unremarkable airliner style set-up?
That being said, I'd like to remind everybody in a manner reminiscent of the SNL bit on Julian Assange, that no matter how I die: It was murder (even if there was a suicide note or a video of me peacefully dying in my sleep); should I be framed for a criminal offense or disappear, you know to blame.

rickshaw

Quote from: KJ_Lesnick on September 15, 2015, 06:15:36 PM
Why did LeMay want the B-52's canopy to be changed from a nice fighter-style bubble-canopy to the unremarkable airliner style set-up?

Because after viewing the Vickers Valiant in the UK, he decided that it was a more workable arrangement for a heavy bomber aircraft.   In the end, he was right.
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

sandiego89

I understood it as Lemay was used to and comfortable with the side by side seating of the B-17 and B-29 and directed the change.  Better crew coordination (and make sure those pesky co-pilots don't touch anything  ;))
Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

Librarian

Interesting thread, I had wondered about that. The B-57 also went down the fighter canopy route.  Pity really as the original B-47 style on the B-52 was so much more attractive. Now you've got me thinking about a B-58 with a fighter canopy :wub:.

Captain Canada

Just makes sense to me. Especially on 8-10+ hour flights.

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

sandiego89

Quote from: Librarian on September 16, 2015, 04:41:11 AM
Now you've got me thinking about a B-58 with a fighter canopy :wub:.

The Jay Miller book on the B-58 has a great photo of exactly that- a mockup of an early B-58 front cockpit proposal with a "fighter" canopy- vey much like the F-106 (no surprise).   I can scan later if you desire.  Quite sexy looking but deemed to be too cramped for long missions.   
Dave "Sandiego89"

Librarian

Oh yes please :cheers:. Whiff-World pilots don't get pins and needles ;D.

sandiego89

Quote from: Librarian on September 16, 2015, 07:55:19 AM
Oh yes please :cheers:. Whiff-World pilots don't get pins and needles ;D.

As requested, a photo of an early MX-1626 design mockup (B-58) with a "fighter" like canopy.

Source: Miller, Jay, Aerograh 4 CONVAIR B-58 ISBN0-942548-26-4.  Page 27 - a must for any Hustler fans....

Sorry for the threadjack
Dave "Sandiego89"

Captain Canada

Now that would work !

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

KJ_Lesnick

Quote from: rickshaw on September 15, 2015, 06:21:55 PMBecause after viewing the Vickers Valiant in the UK
What was wrong with the Valiant?

QuoteIn the end, he was right.
How so?
That being said, I'd like to remind everybody in a manner reminiscent of the SNL bit on Julian Assange, that no matter how I die: It was murder (even if there was a suicide note or a video of me peacefully dying in my sleep); should I be framed for a criminal offense or disappear, you know to blame.

rickshaw

Quote from: KJ_Lesnick on September 16, 2015, 07:25:14 PM
Quote from: rickshaw on September 15, 2015, 06:21:55 PMBecause after viewing the Vickers Valiant in the UK
What was wrong with the Valiant?

Nothing.  Which was the point.

QuoteIn the end, he was right.
How so?

The B-52 was a much more easily flown and fought aircraft with side-by-side seating than tandem seating.
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Librarian on September 16, 2015, 04:41:11 AM
The B-57 also went down the fighter canopy route.  Pity really as the original B-47 style on the B-52 was so much more attractive. Now you've got me thinking about a B-58 with a fighter canopy :wub:.

I think the point there is that the B-57 was a tactical aircraft whereas the B-52 was strategic in its concept. Both taskings require different crew interactions, and the RAF's Canberra's started off as semi-strategic in nature, thus the somewhat bizarre crew positioning. The USAF saw it as a purely tactical aircraft and changed the positioning accordingly.

'Looking good' doesn't cut it much when the bad guys are shooting at you and you're tasked to drop explosive things on them.....  ;D :lol:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

tahsin

B-47 would hardly get a fighter canopy but for the thing that the co-pilot was also the rear gunner. Or they would need a fourth guy on the plane, possibly right at the back. İf not a seperate pressured area, still systems to make sure that he simply didn't freeze to death at 50 000 fit just before the MiGs showed up.

hamsandwich

KJ_Lesnick

PR19_Kit

QuoteI think the point there is that the B-57 was a tactical aircraft whereas the B-52 was strategic in its concept. Both taskings require different crew interactions
Well the crew interactions seem largely based around the issue of navigating greater distances, the greater number of crew often present, and the greater dependence on ECM (admittedly modern ECM systems are so automated -- far as I know the F-22 has automatic EMCON systems, at least I remember reading that online once, though I don't really remember where)