DONE +++ 1:72 Arsenal VG-38 No. 9, aircraft '2', GC I/3, French Air Force

Started by Dizzyfugu, September 16, 2015, 12:26:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dizzyfugu

Another project for the GB, and this will be an exotic addition: I guess only a few people know the sleek Arsenal VG-33 fighter and its prototypes, a design that reminds a bit of the Macchi 202 or the Fiat G.55?

Anyway, several derivatives were planned, mostly with different/uprated engines. The VG-38 was one of them and actually on the drawing boards in late 1939/early 1940 - a version with a Hispano Suiza 12Y-77 engine, doped with two Brown-Boveri exhaust turbochargers.

Since there's no kit available (and even no sketch of the VG-38 at all...) I will travesty an "alien" kit as VG-38 in typical French colors and markings. Had this on the agenda for a long time, and now is the occasion...  ;D

zenrat

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Dizzyfugu

Yes, there's also a Pegasus 1:72 IP kit of the VG-33. But it will be more fun (and challenging for third party rivet counters...  :wacko:) to adapt a totally different kit for this masquerade. Muahahaha!

Captain Canada

Ooh that is nice ! looking forward to seeing this one.

:wub:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on September 16, 2015, 03:40:09 AM
Yes, there's also a Pegasus 1:72 IP kit of the VG-33.

Only a TOTAL masochist would start with that one Thomas, I tried it years ago now, and I'd have to say it wasn't one of Mr. Gannon's best efforts sadly.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Dizzyfugu

Well, I've only seen sprue shots of the Pegasus kit, and it looks... simple. Anyway, I think that my travesty solution might work out better and more convincing than expected. Would not work for the normal VG-33, but the VG-38 seems (more) feasible.  ;D

Dizzyfugu

Just to stir some rumors and excitement, here's the kit I will use for the VG-38:

:ph34r:

KiwiZac

Zac in NZ
#avgeek, modelbuilder, photographer, writer. Callsign: "HANDBAG"
https://linktr.ee/zacyates

Dizzyfugu

Now we'll focus attention on this one, #4 of the lot...

Captain Canada

Cool. This will be good. I just love that first pic, such a tough looking bird !

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Dizzyfugu

The VG-33 is/was a very elegant aircraft, and it was developed with much thought and effort - but I guess that this just took too long... It was primarily built from wood and non-strategical material, and was still superior to contemporary fighters with the same engine (M.S. 406, Dewoitine D 520). It's a bit of a tragic development like the He 100. And the basic VG-33 must have had a huge development potential, because many derivatives with uprated engines and armament had been on the drawing board - including the turbocharged VG-38 that I will build/represent with the Su-3 conversion.

Captain Canada

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Captain Canada on September 25, 2015, 02:36:42 PM
Parlez-vous Frankus ?

Super cool build here :

http://maquette72.free.fr/amis/SGuerrero/2013_18_vg20/index_asg18.php

That's a seriously awesome build there, the fuselage is a work of art. And he did the cockpit seats in BRASS, for goodness sake!!  :o
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Dizzyfugu

Very cool build/find! It's the" mother of all VG designs", the initial VG-20, which was a much bigger aircraft than the VG-33 family.

It evolved into a different line (the VB-10 with two engines), though, and inspired this one some time ago...

More here: http://www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic,36349.0/highlight,requin.html

Besides, there's initial progress concerning the VG-38 - the only and biggest modification is the landing gear, because the Su-3 has a P-40-style arrangement (retracting backwards and rotating 90°). This has to change, so the original wells get filled and new wells and an appropriate langing gear have to be installed:

1:72 Arsenal (de l'Aeronautique) VG-38 No. 9, aircraft '2' of the 1re Escadrille, Groupe de Chasse I/3., Meaux-Esbly (Paris region, France), May 1940 (Whif/Amodel Su-3 kit conversion) - WiP by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

1:72 Arsenal (de l'Aeronautique) VG-38 No. 9, aircraft '2' of the 1re Escadrille, Groupe de Chasse I/3., Meaux-Esbly (Paris region, France), May 1940 (Whif/Amodel Su-3 kit conversion) - WiP by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

Captain Canada

Nice one. Thanks for the pic of how you started the undercart bays....I need to do somat similar for my Comet.

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?