DONE +++ 1:72 Arsenal VG-38 No. 9, aircraft '2', GC I/3, French Air Force

Started by Dizzyfugu, September 16, 2015, 12:26:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dizzyfugu

Parts for the new landing gear come from a Hawker Hurricane (covers), a Fiat G.50 (struts, they have the same forked layout as the VG-33-ish machines) and a Mitusbishi Zero (wheels from a Matchbox kit). Since the wells are missing and the OOB kit had never been designed for this new layout, some internal gaps had to be filled - also in the flaps' area, which will be lowered:

1:72 Arsenal (de l'Aeronautique) VG-38 No. 9, aircraft '2' of the 1re Escadrille, Groupe de Chasse I/3., Meaux-Esbly (Paris region, France), May 1940 (Whif/Amodel Su-3 kit conversion) - WiP by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

1:72 Arsenal (de l'Aeronautique) VG-38 No. 9, aircraft '2' of the 1re Escadrille, Groupe de Chasse I/3., Meaux-Esbly (Paris region, France), May 1940 (Whif/Amodel Su-3 kit conversion) - WiP by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

PR19_Kit

I'm trying, with difficulty, to imagine the size of the pile of Dizzy's kits that only have one part missing, all of which have donated themselves to a better cause of course.  ;D

It must be of MONUMENTAL proportions!  :o
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Captain Canada

Agreed ! Probably lots of fun to root through as well, as long as it doesn't topple onto you  :thumbsup:

Nice work on the undersides. You really do go all out !

:wub:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Dizzyfugu

The secret has two parts: one is that I do not throw away any surplus part (for more than 35 years, I think...), keep a parts repository with lots of small boxes full of assorted parts, still keep a pile of youth wrecks (dwindled, though, after moving into a new flat sonme years ago - regret it!  :-\) and I also have a plan for what to swap with what else. Pure donation kits are rare. I also have a very good part memory, it is rare that I cannot tell what I am using or where it comes from. Scary, I know...  :rolleyes:

In the meantime, work on the Su-3/VG-38 fuselage has been done. The cockpit is very nice, even though very tight, and I implanted my standard styrene tube/iron wire solution for the propeller:

I also keep the Su-3's weird radiator exhaust behind the cockpit. Conservative natures might fair it over for a more "realistic" look, but I like this unique detail.

Captain Canada

Excellent work, and thanks for the insight ! I`ve thrown out too many and had too many thrown out on me over the years, but still have too many. I`ve got boxes and boxes of bits, but they really need some sort of organization.

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Dizzyfugu

Oh, well, there's also a huge pile of kits with ideas and lack of time... Happy when I can reduce stack size, and this GB is a good opportunity. The VG-38/Su-3 is just one of those kits/projects that has been waiting for some time, and the upcoming Fokker D.XXIII is another.

Captain Canada

Exactly ! I'm thinking the same thing. I've got too many already and keep buying more....time to get off the pot and build some !

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Dizzyfugu

One helpful thing is a list of ideas and projects that I keep - including some ideas of what to interchange. That's also a good reminder for those cases when you fish something from the pile and wonder "what did I have in mind when I bought THIS...?". Things only become scary if you buy a kit for one of "those great ideas" but recognize (too late) that you already have TWO of them in the pile...  :rolleyes:

Dizzyfugu

Meanwhile... Things start looking like and aircraft. Putty work/sanding looks more severe than it actually is, I am positively surprised by the Amodel Su-3 kit.
You might get a glimpse at the pretty cockpit, and the radiator outlet behind the cockpit is a really exotic detail of this aircraft.

Captain Canada

It sure does ! Looks like a real aeroplane ! Love the way she's coming along.

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

KiwiZac

Looking great, DF! Those lines are gorgeous, it reminds me of a Macchi or Fiat. (it's not too late to change your plans ;) )
Zac in NZ
#avgeek, modelbuilder, photographer, writer. Callsign: "HANDBAG"
https://linktr.ee/zacyates

Dizzyfugu

Yes, agree. The Su-3 (and also the VG-33 family) reminds a lot of the late WWII Italian fighter designs. I could also imagine some Hinomarus on it, would not look bad/wrong either?

Painting has started, too - conservative French Air Force scheme with Grey/Green/Brown camouflage. Makes this masquerade even more convincing, and it looks very good on the sleek aircraft.

Captain Canada

Sounds good. Also reminds me of a mini Sturmovik.

:thumbsup:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Dizzyfugu

Yes... the original landing gear of the Su-1/3 is also very similar to the Il-2.