DONE +++ 1:72 Arsenal VG-38 No. 9, aircraft '2', GC I/3, French Air Force

Started by Dizzyfugu, September 16, 2015, 12:26:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

loupgarou

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on September 30, 2015, 01:31:27 AM
Yes, agree. The Su-3 (and also the VG-33 family) reminds a lot of the late WWII Italian fighter designs. I could also imagine some Hinomarus on it, would not look bad/wrong either?

Painting has started, too - conservative French Air Force scheme with Grey/Green/Brown camouflage. Makes this masquerade even more convincing, and it looks very good on the sleek aircraft.

Yes indeed. From your first post, with the side photo of the real thing, I thought you could have used a Fiat G-55 for the rear fuselage up to and including cockpit.
Owing to the current financial difficulties, the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off until further notice.

KiwiZac

Zac in NZ
#avgeek, modelbuilder, photographer, writer. Callsign: "HANDBAG"
https://linktr.ee/zacyates

NARSES2

I find that 1940 era French camouflage attractive and it to look as though it would have been quite effective as well. I've been toying with a desert version of it for my alternative scenario
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Dizzyfugu

There have been some machines, based in Northern Africa, that had the blue-grey replaced by a sand tone, AFAIK. Also very attractive.
Another interesting detail of this paint scheme is that no French aircraft was like the other (with very few exceptions), most had an individual livery and the styles were VERY diverse, even odd.

Captain Canada

Love that camo ! Looks excellent. I might steal that one for a build as I'd still like to do a Frenchy for this GB.

:drink:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

AURI

Dizzyfugu

1:72 Arsenal (de l'Aeronautique) VG-38 No. 9, aircraft '2' of the 1re Escadrille, Groupe de Chasse I/3., Meaux-Esbly (Paris region, France), May 1940 (Whif/Amodel Su-3 kit conversion) by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

1:72 Arsenal (de l'Aeronautique) VG-38 No. 9, aircraft '2' of the 1re Escadrille, Groupe de Chasse I/3., Meaux-Esbly (Paris region, France), May 1940 (Whif/Amodel Su-3 kit conversion) by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

Some background:
In the grand scope of World War 2 fighter aircraft there is a little-remembered French design designated the Arsenal "VG-33". The aircraft was born from a rather lengthy line of prototype developments put forth by the company in the years leading up to World War 2 and the VG-33 and its derivatives represented the culmination of this work before the German invasion rendered all further work moot.

The Arsenal de l'Aeronautique company was formed by the French government in 1936 ahead of World War 2. It began operations with dedicated design and development of a fast fighter type until the German conquer of France in 1940 after which the company then focused on engine production after 1945. Then followed a period of design and construction of gliders and missiles before being privatized in 1952 (as SFECMAS). The company then fell under the SNCAN brand label and became "Nord Aviation" in 1955.

The VG-33 was the result of the company's research. Work on a new fast fighter began by Arsenal engineers in 1936 and the line began with the original VG-30 prototype achieving first flight on October 1st, 1938. Named for engineer Vernisse (V) and designer Jean Gaultier (G), the VG-30 showcased a sound design with good performance and speed during the tests, certainly suitable for progression as a military fighter and with future potential.

Development continued into what became the VG-31 which incorporated smaller wings. The VG-32 then followed which returned to the full-sized wings and installed the American Allison V-1710-C15 inline supercharged engine of 1,054 horsepower. The VG-32 then formed the basis of the VG-33 which reverted to a Hispano-Suiza 12Y-31 engine and first flight was in early 1939, months ahead of the German invasion of Poland. Flight testing then spanned into August and serial production of this model was ordered.

The VG-33 was one of the more impressive prewar fighter ventures by the French that included the Dewoitine D.520, understood to be on par with the lead German fighter aircraft of the period - the famous Messerschmitt Bf 109.

Only about forty or so French Arsenal VG-33 fighters were completed before the Fall of France in 1940, with 160 more on order and in different states of completion. Despite the production contract, Arsenal' engineers continued work on the basic design for improved and specialized sub-types. The VG-34 appeared in early 1940 outfitted with the Hispano-Suiza 12Y-45 engine of 935 horsepower, which improved performance at altitude. An uprated engine was installed in VG-35 and VG-36, too. They utilized a Hispano-Suiza 12Y-51 engine of 1,000 horsepower with a revised undercarriage and radiator system.

VG-37 was a long-range version that was not furthered beyond the drawing board, but the VG-38 with a Hispano-Suiza 12Y-77 engine that featured two exhaust turbochargers for improved performance at high altitude, achived pre-production status with a series of about 10 aircraft. These were transferred to GC 1/3 for field trials in early 1940 and actively used in the defence against the German invasion.

The  VG-39 ended the line as the last viable prototype model with its drive emerging from a Hispano-Suiza 12Z engine of 1,280 horsepower. A new three-machine-gun wing was installed for a formidable six-gun armament array. This model was also ordered into production as the VG-39bis and was to carry a 1,600 horsepower Hispano-Suiza 12Z-17 engine into service. However, the German invasion eliminated any further progress, and eventually any work on the Arsenal VG fighter family was abandoned, even though more designs were planned, e .g. the  VG-40, which mounted a Rolls-Royce Merlin III, and the VG-50, featuring the newer Allison V-1710-39. Neither was built.
Anyway, the finalized VG-38 was an all-modern looking fighter design with elegant lines and a streamlined appearance. Its power came from an inline engine fitted to the front of the fuselage and headed by a large propeller spinner at the center of a three-bladed unit. The cockpit was held over midships with the fuselage tapering to become the tail unit.

The tail featured a rounded vertical tail fin and low-set horizontal planes in a traditional arrangement - all surfaces enlarged for improved high altitude performance.
The monoplane wing assemblies were at the center of the design in the usual way. The pilot's field of view was hampered by the long nose ahead, the wings below and the raised fuselage spine aft, even though the pilot sat under a largely unobstructed canopy utilizing light framing. The canopy opened to starboard.

A large air scoop for the radiator and air intercooler was mounted under the fuselage. As an unusual feature its outlet was located in a dorsal position, behind the cockpit. The undercarriage was of the typical tail-dragger arrangement of the period, retracting inwards. The tail wheel was retractable, too.

Construction was largely of wood which led to a very lightweight design that aided performance and the manufacture process. Unlike other fighters of the 1930s, the VG-38 was well-armed with a 20mm Hispano-Suiza cannon, firing through the propeller hub, complemented by 4 x 7.5mm MAC 1934 series machine guns in the wings, just like the VG-33.

The aircraft never saw combat action in the Battle of France. Its arrival was simply too late to have any effect on the outcome of the German plans. Therefore, with limited production and very limited combat service during the defence of Paris in May 1940, it largely fell into the pages of history with all completed models lost.

Specifications:
   Crew: 1
   Length: 28.05 ft (8.55 m)
   Width: 35.43 ft (10.80 m)
   Height: 10.83ft (3.30 m)
   Weight: Empty 4,519 lb (2,050 kg), MTOW 5,853 lb (2,655 kg)
   Maximum Speed: 398 mph (641 kmh at 10.000m)
   Maximum Range: 746 miles (1,200 km)
   Service Ceiling: 39,305 ft (12.000 m; 7.458 miles)

Powerplant:
   1x Hispano-Suiza 12Y-77 V-12 liquid-cooled inline piston engine
   with two Brown-Boveri exhaust turbochargers, developing 1,100 hp (820 kW).

Armament:
   1x 20mm Hispano-Suiza HS.404 cannon, firing through the propeller hub
   4x 7.5mm MAC 1934 machine guns in the outer wings

zenrat

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

PR19_Kit

Magnifique even!  :thumbsup: :bow:

I DO like that, it has all the hallmarks of Arsenal's designs and you've given it some 'Frenchness', even though we know of its Soviet origins in model form. Excellent stuff.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Dizzyfugu

Thank you!  :cheers:

The Su-3 travesty really works well, and the French colors suit it well, too!

In the close-ups it seems as if the acrylic varnisch turned a bit blind... the finish is not as good as intended, but in normal scope and light things look pretty good.  :rolleyes:

rickshaw

Dizzy, please explain how this fits the specifications of the rules for the Group Build.  It didn't see operational use during the Battle of Britain.  It didn't even see experimental use during the BoB...
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

Dizzyfugu

Time frame and potential use over northern France?
If you are sceptical, please remove it or move it into the Finished build sections?

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Captain Canada

C'est bonne ! Very nicely done. The write up is a beauty as well  :thumbsup: Love the finish on this one, the colours look perfect with those roundels.

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?