You might have known this would happen

Started by The Rat, September 16, 2015, 11:36:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Rat

Rescue? Downed pilot would sit on a seat attached to the floats? Assuming that a water-soaked uniform would not cause death from hypothermia after a long ride. (It totally might) Or maybe I could rig another seat behind the front one, just a little hidey-hole arrangement, not a second cockpit.

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

Captain Canada

Ya we were waiting for it  :thumbsup:

Some kind of semi recessed seat in the float maybe ?

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

perttime

On a float, you could arrange some sort of a windproof pod for a passenger.
... or ... how much space is there in the Gladiator fuselage? Apparently, you could pack a couple of passengers AND a large dog in a Brewster Buffalo. Didn't UK have some of those on some fronts?

edit: quote from an interview of Ilmari Juutilainen:
"
It was also a "gentleman's traveling plane", for it had a roomy cockpit and room in the fuselage, as we used to say, for a poker gang. We unofficially transported mechanics, spare parts, oil canisters etc. in our Brewsters. Once, though two pilots went a little too far - a flight sergeant was flying, and in the fuselage was a second lieutenant, his friend, his dog and a lot of baggage. Upon landing the plane went off the runway and the suitcase came out. Both pilots were punished. Humorously, the lieutenant's sentence started with:"As the commander of the crew of a single-seat fighter.."
"

jcf

In RW terms: Remove the fuselage guns and ammo tanks to save weight, move the radio gear forward to open up the
space behind the pilot, you'd probably have to remove the rear canopy and much of the fairing in order to allow somewhat
easy entry to the new hidey-hole.

The Rat

I was thinking of maybe an access hatch in the belly, but with the fabric rear fuselage that would take some localised stengthening.
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Captain Canada

It would  be easy to replicate with an open door and a wee ladder coming down. Glue some styren strip on to replicate ( fake ) the strengthening bit.

:thumbsup:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

The Rat

Quote from: Captain Canada on September 16, 2015, 01:43:08 PM
It would  be easy to replicate with an open door and a wee ladder coming down. Glue some styren strip on to replicate ( fake ) the strengthening bit.

:thumbsup:

Yep, basically what I had in mind. I was thinking of a ladder attached to the door, either sliding out or folding for length adjustment.

jcf

The radio bay is part of the dural paneled forward fuselage.

So rearrange the equipment and turn that panel, or it's twin on the stbd. side, into a door?

sandiego89

Nice ideas Jon.  I like the hidey-hole behind the cockpit idea. 
Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

kerick

Just put a ladder from the float up to the entry door and it should work. The ladder could double as a brace between the fuselage and the float.
Maybe a flat plywood floor for the soaked fellow to lay on.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

Old Wombat

Quote from: kerick on September 16, 2015, 07:52:15 PM

Or a small, fold-down rear-facing jump-seat with a harness & a minimal plywood floor to rest his feet on - for safety.

The ladder could, also, be used for the pilot to access the cockpit from the float.
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

kerick

Quote from: Old Wombat on September 17, 2015, 08:01:18 AM
Quote from: kerick on September 16, 2015, 07:52:15 PM

Or a small, fold-down rear-facing jump-seat with a harness & a minimal plywood floor to rest his feet on - for safety.

That would be a better idea. Don't want the poor guy sliding around back there. Might throw off the CG and bang him up even more.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

Weaver

The radio bay looks a little short for a forwards or backwards facing seat, but maybe he could sit sideways? That might actually make entry through a side door easier too.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

kerick

Quote from: Weaver on September 17, 2015, 01:09:22 PM
The radio bay looks a little short for a forwards or backwards facing seat, but maybe he could sit sideways? That might actually make entry through a side door easier too.

I doubt the rescuee would be picky! I know I wouldn't be!

Now for a paint scheme.....
Coastal Command colors? I've no idea what colors rescue aircraft were painted
Tophe the Wise

zenrat

Weren't the German ones white with red crosses?
If so why not use the same scheme?
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..