You might have known this would happen

Started by The Rat, September 16, 2015, 11:36:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RAFF-35

Firstly, what a brilliant idea  :thumbsup: and as far as colour schemes go, I'd say either over all white, coastal command, costat command with yellow bits on, or go for completely yellow  :lol: like the first aircraft to wear the standard RAF SAR scheme
Don't let ageing get you down, it's too hard to get back up

kerick

Didn't the RAF have rescue aircraft? I know they had the rescue launches. Or was it just send out whatever was available?
Sounds like a research project for this evening.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

PR19_Kit

Surely, many of them were Walruses, but there were also lifeboat carrying Hudsons, Warwicks and even B-17s I think too.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

dadlamassu

I've seen helicopters with skid mounted stretchers.  So maybe something similar (one on each float?) with a streamlined front to shelter the rescued airman/men in their soaking wet uniforms? 

jcf

RAF Air Sea Rescue squadrons were formed up in late 1941, they used the Supermarine Walrus and the aircraft were camouflaged.
Previously the RN had used the Walrus for rescue duties, but not by specific units, and in the BoB period woud also have been
in standard FAA period camouflage.

The lifeboat carrying aircraft were of a later period.

Captain Canada

Great. Now I want to build a Walrus as well.

:thumbsup:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

zenrat

Quote from: zenrat on September 18, 2015, 02:08:32 AM
Weren't the German ones white with red crosses?
If so why not use the same scheme?

OK, found my references.
In Fighter, Deighton mentions that the German rescue aircraft were painted white with red crosses up until July 1940 at which point they were camouflaged as the RAF high command, concerned they were taking back valuable information as well as downed aircrew, issued weasel worded instructions to shoot them down.
The book contains a series of pictures of the rescue of a Bf 110 crew and he notes how the crew of the rescue Dornier are struggling to haul the rescuees out of the water due to the weight of their waterlogged flying clothing.
Given this issue, is the pilot going to leave the cockpit to help the rescuee on board or would you have something easier to get onto like the rescue boards the surf rescue guys tow behind jet skis?  Maybe mounted between the floats.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

The Rat

Quote from: dadlamassu on September 18, 2015, 10:11:06 AM
I've seen helicopters with skid mounted stretchers.  So maybe something similar (one on each float?) with a streamlined front to shelter the rescued airman/men in their soaking wet uniforms? 

Yep, I've dallied with that idea. The advantage of it is that if the man is wounded it makes it easier than clambering up a ladder and wedging himself into a tight space.
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

The Rat

Actually, it wouldn't be impossible to have both arrangements, evacuee has their choice.
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

jcf

A floatplane isn't a helicopter:banghead:

The increase of weight and drag of having a person clinging to a float(s) would be really negative to
take-off characteristics that would already be marginal.
Having only one float occupied would be even worse.  :blink:

Hell, it wasn't unusual for a Walrus to have to 'taxi' after a rescue because of overload or wave/weather conditions.
Basically, once down they couldn't take-off again, even Catalina's ran into that issue.

Helicopter type SAR experiences and techniques truly wouldn't apply in period.

Captain Canada

Some kind of open ended tube atop the float ? There must be some way of making it work. Rocket assisted take off  :thumbsup:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

The Rat

Quote from: joncarrfarrelly on September 18, 2015, 07:44:59 PMThe increase of weight and drag of having a person clinging to a float(s) would be really negative to take-off characteristics that would already be marginal.

That would depend upon the power to weight ratio. I've watched floatplanes take off with all sorts of crap tied to the float supports. Canoes are easy; they're efficiently hydrodynamic and also aerodynamic. We've travelled long distances with ours on top of the car with no noticeable increase in fuel consumption. So a relatively streamlined compartment should be workable.

The Rat

Just did a quick check. The Gladiator loaded was 4,594 lbs, with an 830 hp engine. The Noorduyn Norseman, which has hauled boats into the air, was 7,540 lbs (with floats) and an engine of only 600 hp. The Gladiator clearly had a far better power to weight ratio.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: The Rat on September 18, 2015, 09:32:38 PM

The Gladiator clearly had a far better power to weight ratio.

..... and two lots of wings.....
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Captain Canada

There's a pic about of an Otter with the fuselage of a Cessna strapped on one side out there as well. very cool. And I'm always a fan of the whif credo...built it your way etc etc.

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?