Need ideas for modelling inventions

Started by RAFF-35, September 18, 2015, 01:54:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RAFF-35

Hi all, I'm currently studying a HND in general engineering and one of the units is "project", I have an idea that I want to do for it, but I need to have lots of initial ideas for new products or a way to improve an idea that currently exists, I can even come up with a new process if I really wanted to. Anyways, I was wondering if you guys had any ideas for anything that you might need to help you with whiffing and modelling, thanks for looking  ;D
Don't let ageing get you down, it's too hard to get back up

zenrat

On one of the other modelling forums I frequent a while back someone was asking about modelling when they had lost an arm in an incident.
The problem was holding the work.  How about looking at designing a clamp for such a purpose?
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

RAFF-35

Hmmmm, interesting, but what's to stop him from using a normal clamp or G clamp or the thing with the two little grabbers and a magnifying glass? :)

zenrat

Normal clamps, G clamps and the grabber thing are hard to tighten while holding the work in place if you have only one hand.  They also take quite a few turns of the screw to fully close up which would be a real pain if you were constantly adjusting the position of the work.

If you are interested in engineering to help the disabled there is an organisation called REMAP who do just that.

Fred

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

Weaver

The thing I find myself cursing the lack of most often is a clamp that will reliably hold a curving and tapered object like a fuselage. I think the solution is to have the clamping pads on ball joints with high-grip material on their faces, or something like that, but I've never seen such a thing.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

RAFF-35

Brilliant, thanks for that Zenrat  :cheers: And funnily enough, Weaver,  I have already drawn that up as an idea, but I wasn't sure if it was just me that couldn't find a clamp like that  :lol: I'll move it higher up my priorities list now  :thumbsup:

RAFF-35

But would it be a screw type clamp like a G or would it be spring powered like a giant clothes peg? :)

Hobbes

I'd prefer a screw clamp, because you can adjust the clamping force and make sure you don't distort e.g. the fuselage. With a spring-loaded clamp I often wish it'd clamp with less force.

Captain Canada

A scriber. One that would or could be used by a sngle hand. Think of an etched brass sheet, with a cut out along the center, where the blade or cutter or pin or whatever would go, and some rails to hold it inplace. It would be spring loaded so you could push it down with your finger and pull or push it along. I'm prob not making complete sense....
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

sandiego89

A cure for the carpet monster?  A super glue that does not glue my fingers together?  ;)

On a serious note, I would like a easy to use replicator/vacu-former/process that can replicate larger parts (say an engine pod) with good detail. Two part molds and resin are pricey, messy and lots of work.   
Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

RAFF-35

Quote from: Captain Canada on September 18, 2015, 07:40:58 AM
A scriber. One that would or could be used by a sngle hand. Think of an etched brass sheet, with a cut out along the center, where the blade or cutter or pin or whatever would go, and some rails to hold it inplace. It would be spring loaded so you could push it down with your finger and pull or push it along. I'm prob not making complete sense....

Yeahhh..... Didn't want to say anything  ;) could you upload a sketch or something? :)

kerick

Quote from: RAFF-35 on September 18, 2015, 02:06:53 PM
Quote from: Captain Canada on September 18, 2015, 07:40:58 AM

Yeahhh..... Didn't want to say anything  ;) could you upload a sketch or something? :)

Maybe something like the paper cutters that slide along a track.
http://www.amazon.com/Fiskars-SureCut-Deluxe-Trimmer-152490-1004/dp/B0038F1A0S
Trick would be to make it ride over curved surfaces.

I was thinking of a device to paint round objects like aircraft wheels and tank road wheels. Paint the inner part in the usual way and then place it in some sort of clamp to hold it while it spins allowing you to evenly paint the tire.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

Weaver

Quote from: Hobbes on September 18, 2015, 07:32:51 AM
I'd prefer a screw clamp, because you can adjust the clamping force and make sure you don't distort e.g. the fuselage. With a spring-loaded clamp I often wish it'd clamp with less force.

I agree.

You could have both, or course, with a mole-grip-style mechanism, but that's getting yet more complicated.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

jcf

Countries separated by a common language.

In the US and Canada this is called a 'C' clamp.  ;D

zenrat

Interesting.  I wonder if G (or C) was original but a trade name and so competitors started using C (or G)?
Like Mole Grips, Stilsons, Stanley Knife...

Good luck Guy.  Hope you can come up with something that interests you - that was always the problem when I was studying engineering.  I'd choose my project and then realise too late it didn't really interest me and have a better idea when it was too late to change.
Fred