1/72 Ukrainian Sukhoi T-50

Started by sykotik, September 20, 2015, 05:11:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sykotik

Hi everyone

While I wait for my lighting boards to arrive, I joined in a WIF GB on another forum, but I thought I would also post pics here to seeing as this site is made for such a subject ;)

I've chosen to build Revell's boxing of the T-50. It'll be in-flight as well. Yay :)

The back story? Well, pretty lame I'm afraid - Ukraine and Russia kissed and made up and Ukraine bought some T-50's to update their aging fleet of SU-27's.

There. Done :)

I'm just not one for inventing convoluted stories - I appreciate and admire those who can though. I just like painting subjects in what ever scheme I think would look cool.

As for the model itself - well, it's very, very basic to say the least. But then it is 1/72, so one shouldn't expect too much.

The surface feels quite rough - not smooth, which is something I find a little weird. As I mentioned before, I'm making it in-flight, so of course, the gear bay doors are less than mediocre in fit. I have yet to find one plane where the gear doors fit flush with the fuselage when closed. It's obviously made to be displayed with the gear down, but like the Raptor (F-22), it looks fornicatingly ugly when it's sitting on the ground. There is plenty of fixing up to do in these areas and the putty tube will be getting a work out

I've also decided to paint the engine area first - just to be different. Once it's all dried and sealed, I'll paint the rest of the plane.

As you can see, my air-brush had a spit whilst trying to carefully lay on some Polished Aluminum

Lastly, quite possibly one of the most bring cockpits I have come across on a model in a very long time:

On the subject of painting, I'm going to make this a splintered one - based loosely on the SU-27 and in the digital camo colours. I bought some AKAN paints some time ago for my 32nd SU-27, but I decided not to use them on that aircraft and save them for something else. I've had this idea for the T-50 ever since I first saw it on the shelves a year or so ago, so it'll be a fitting use for them

Anyways, that's all for now, but I will be back again soon enough

thanks for looking

Sy

DogfighterZen

Following with interest as i also have one of these in my stash. :thumbsup:

:cheers:
"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

kerick

Very interesting! I'll be watching.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

Vorcha

that's an amazing plane and very good work so far!
paper boy

Captain Canada

Yes....great work so far ! Interseting subject, I think the first one here ?

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

sykotik

cheers guys. I hope this pans out the way I have it in my head!

Engines are done:

Ian the Kiwi Herder

Some fine work happening here.

Ian.
"When the Carpet Monster tells you it's full....
....it's time to tidy the workbench"

Confuscious (maybe)

KiwiZac

A very good idea, I like the look of the Ukrainian Sukhois. You've done a wonderful job on the exhausts!
Zac in NZ
#avgeek, modelbuilder, photographer, writer. Callsign: "HANDBAG"
https://linktr.ee/zacyates

Spey_Phantom

looks good, ive built this kit myself, despite sometimes serious fitting problems, its a good kit  ;)
still have another one in the stash, im thinking of building an in-service Russian AF version.

Quote from: Captain Canada on September 20, 2015, 07:30:50 AM
Yes....great work so far ! Interseting subject, I think the first one here

no its not, i posted one here about 2 years ago  :mellow:
http://www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php?topic=37273.0
on the bench:

-all kinds of things.

sykotik

Quote from: Nils on September 21, 2015, 01:26:21 AM
http://www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php?topic=37273.0

Very cool! I like that

Well, I got the base coat down and the first alternate colour of the splinter scheme:

Just need to re-paint one of the tail fins and then I will lay on the next colour. I am loving these AKAN paints!! Very easy to use and if they need to be thinned, just use Tamiya lacquer thinner - works a treat!
I am also thinking I might add some weapons to this - just to make it look a bit meaner. I have no idea where this plane would store weapons - unlike the F-22 which hides the sparrows on the inside, this seems to have no place to hide them. There looks to be missile mounting points on the wings, so I'll just use them. Forgoing stealth, I reckon some missiles would look the part. What do you think?

Anyways, thanks for looking
Sy

zenrat

That camo is looking very promising.  :thumbsup:
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

sykotik

Quote from: Flyer on September 22, 2015, 06:01:09 PM
Paint is looking great. :thumbsup:

I wan't your cutting mat, I already have 4 of various sizes but they only have the grid on them, all those angles and semi-circles look like they would be a very handy reference when cutting and building.

Thanks guys, I'm pretty happy with it so far. I layer down the gray and it looks the part
As to the above, it's a Tamiya cutting matt - A2 I think. The angles etc are indeed very handy but like very other matt it is susceptible to marking by paint etc :)

NARSES2

The Humbrol cutting mat has angles etc as well as propeller "arcs" for 3 and 4 bladed. Helps when you have individual blades  :banghead:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Captain Canada

Wow....that is some excellent work ! Love the paint on the engines. That is going to look so good !

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?