Db 601-engined He112 BACK ON!

Started by Weaver, September 22, 2015, 11:02:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Weaver

Okay, I'm in. Build will be a Heller He112 with the engine bay from an Italeri Macchi MC.205 in order to make it look roughly like the Db 601-engined V10 prototype, while the markings will come from the Airfix Bf109E-4 I just bought.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

KiwiZac

Zac in NZ
#avgeek, modelbuilder, photographer, writer. Callsign: "HANDBAG"
https://linktr.ee/zacyates

Weaver

Aaaaand within 24 hours of announcing this, I've got a water leak in the kitchen. Inside the wall. Under a counter top. Right next to the door..... :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

No idea how long it'll take to fix, but model-making in on hold for the moment. :rolleyes:
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."

- Indiana Jones

Captain Canada

Ouch ! That sucks...hopefully you get it fixed before too much damage occurs ! PS- the build sounds interesting !

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Weaver

Right, sorry folks, but this one is going to be on hold for a quite a while. Basically, I'm going to have to rip so much of the kitchen apart to fix this leak that I might as well fix a bunch of other problems at the same time. No idea how long it's going to take, but I wouldn't bet on me getting this model done for the GB deadline.

If anybody else wants to run with an He 112 idea, please feel free (not that you wern't anyway...) :thumbsup:

- Indiana Jones

zenrat

Speaking as one currently building a kitchen I find that modelling makes a nice break from it.

Good luck.  Would you like me to send Hamster round to help or can you do without the lectures on pyramids and do you want to finish before xmas?
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

The Wooksta!

For engines, I would have went with one from an He 111P.  The new Airfix one.  Would have the added benefit of actually looking like a Heinkel product.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

Weaver

Well I finally have the damned water leak fixed, so at last I can function without having to switch the water on and off all the time. There's still a lot to do and it still has to take priority, but at least the urgency's off.

Quote from: zenrat on September 24, 2015, 04:28:49 PM
Speaking as one currently building a kitchen I find that modelling makes a nice break from it.

Good luck.  Would you like me to send Hamster round to help or can you do without the lectures on pyramids and do you want to finish before xmas?

He'd probably find all the copies of Fortean Times and burn the house down in a rage...  ;)

- Indiana Jones

Weaver

Quote from: The Wooksta! on September 24, 2015, 05:05:10 PM
For engines, I would have went with one from an He 111P.  The new Airfix one.  Would have the added benefit of actually looking like a Heinkel product.

Cann't afford to buy a new He 111 just to trash it for an engine nacelle I'm afraid, plus I already had the Macchi kit with no definite plan for it. The basic shape of the Macchi nose is quite like the V10 prototype and most of the "dress" is separate components that can be replaced or modified.

- Indiana Jones

The Wooksta!

I'm intending to get one for conversion to the BoB CASA 1-111.  You're welcome to the engines.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

zenrat

Quote from: Weaver on September 30, 2015, 12:06:43 PM
Well I finally have the damned water leak fixed, so at last I can function without having to switch the water on and off all the time. There's still a lot to do and it still has to take priority, but at least the urgency's off.

Quote from: zenrat on September 24, 2015, 04:28:49 PM

He'd probably find all the copies of Fortean Times and burn the house down in a rage...  ;)

You'd be surprised.  He can accept a Fortean approach because it questions rather than blindly accepts.
Good news on the leak.  Got to dry out and make good now I suppose.
Best of luck.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Weaver

Update: I managed to fix the other, long-standing slight leak in the kitchen MUCH more easily than I'd anticipated, and I also reinstalled the washing machine temporarily, got a load of washing done and then took the machine out again, also MUCH more easily than anticipated. This means I'm now into the phase of re-arranging the kitchen, which is still lots of work but not so urgent, so I can alternate it with model making.

Game on again!  :thumbsup:

Quote from: The Wooksta! on September 30, 2015, 03:33:11 PM
I'm intending to get one for conversion to the BoB CASA 1-111.  You're welcome to the engines.

Thanks for the offer but I think I'll stick to what I've got. The shape is really pretty good, and since the Db.601 version was only ever a prototype, who's to say what a production version might have looked like?

- Indiana Jones

Captain Canada

Sounds good ! Nice to hear. It`s like that with almost all the DIY stuff....procrastinate, worry, overthink, and then you get around to it and it`s easier and quicker than you think !

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Weaver

Quote from: Captain Canada on October 05, 2015, 03:38:16 PM
Sounds good ! Nice to hear. It`s like that with almost all the DIY stuff....procrastinate, worry, overthink, and then you get around to it and it`s easier and quicker than you think !

Well it wasn't so much overthinking as wrong idea. Access to a leaking joint under the sink was blocked by a piece of the cabinet frame, giving the impression that the whole cabinet would have to be dismantled to get it out. However the other day I tried to reach behind it, and the piece of wood (which turned out to be rotten from all the water than had dripped on it) simply snapped, with no ill effects on the cabinet at all, so I was able to snap a bit more off and fix the leaking joint. I will have to do something to reinforce the cabinet, but it hasn't involved anything like the degree of dismantling and dispruption I'd anticipated.

- Indiana Jones

Captain Canada

Wow...that was lucky ! A result from letting it leak too long  :thumbsup: But seriously, glad it went well and now you have time to plan a proper repair. When I renovated the bathroom at our old house, I think I did a really good job with the plumbing. I added extra shut off valves, marked everything, and put an easy access point to an emergency shut off inside the linen closet, so if there were problems in future the nest guys could simply open the closet door, lift out a piece of wood, and both the shower and toilet water supply could be shut off. The sink had it's own set of valves under the vanity.

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?