DONE +++ 1:72 Fokker D.XXIII night intruder of RAF 322 (Dutch) Squadron

Started by Dizzyfugu, September 23, 2015, 04:29:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dizzyfugu

A rather exotic idea, but I dug out an MPM Fokker D.XXIII kit from the pile, and it fits perfectly into the BoB time frame. I just do not want to build a Netherland Air Force aircraft - but what if the first service versions with different engines had been delivered and, like some other machines, escaped to Great Britain, forming exile squadrons? Much imagination involved in this case, but it's another idea that might materialize - a strange aircraft in a strange livery...  ;D

Captain Canada

We like strange ! And we'll probably see pics of the completed model later today..... :thumbsup:

:lol: :cheers: :wub:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Dizzyfugu

Here's some virtual progress, too. Have the kit, donation parts and worked on a background that explains the aircraft's odd role and livery as RAF night intruder. Looking forward to get it into hardware - #6 for the GB.  :wacko:

Captain Canada

Only #6 ? lol You'll be putting a 2 or a 4 in front of that by the time the deadline hits  :thumbsup:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Dizzyfugu

This will probably materialize next, due to delivery problems with the engines for the Go 146 a.k.a. Ki-46 in Luftwaffe servive/trials.

Already did some preparation work on this one.  ;)

Captain Canada

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Dizzyfugu

In the German translation version, it's the "Saft" (Juice)!

Meanwhile, Mos Eisley, space port... The fuselage is complete, but the HS 12Y engine (from a KP Avia B.35) is a bit narrow, so I have to add some "putty cheeks".
Hard to see under the putty, the rear end had been extended (by 3mm or so) and fairings for cylinder banks were added to the rear engine.

1:72 Fokker D.XXIII-1, aircraft 'VL-B/AS468' of Royal Air Force (Dutch) 322 Squadron; Hornchurch Airfield (Essex), August 1940 (Whif/RS Models kit conversion) - WiP by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

Attaching the wings to the fuselage also takes some Force/Schwartz/Saft, and integrating the front wheel well into this kitbash-mess is not easy, either:

1:72 Fokker D.XXIII-1, aircraft 'VL-B/AS468' of Royal Air Force (Dutch) 322 Squadron; Hornchurch Airfield (Essex), August 1940 (Whif/RS Models kit conversion) - WiP by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

Dizzyfugu

More progress, things run smoothly, despite some fitting trouble between the major components: the night intruder idea has the charm that I won't have to think about the exhaust pipes - simple flame dampers (from styrene profile) will suffice. The tail booms have been mounted successfully, nor surprises, except for typical differences in diameter between the parts...  :rolleyes:
Furthermore, I wanted slightly bigger propellers for the stronger HS 12Y engines, and I found donation parts from a Matchbox Brewster Buffallo with a spinner from a Ju 188 for the front end, the pusher prop comes from a Matchbox Percival Provost, its pointed spinner is perfect for this position. The canopy was cut into pieces, as an option for an open cockpit.

Landing gear and lowered flaps next; there will also be changes of the armament - a pair of 30mm Oerlikon cannons are to protrude from the tail booms.

Captain Canada

Excellent ! This one is a game changer in my books...looks like a whole new aeroplane for sure. Love the look of thre engines !

:wub: :cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Dizzyfugu

As announced, underside details next; the front wheel well was tricky because it is an integral part of the cockpit section and goes right across/through the seam for the new engine.
More details havebeen added, too, like some engravings on the front cowling, the lowered flaps, covers for the radiator exhausts and the gun armament.

Eventually, this is what the Fokker D.XXIII-1 looks like before painting:

Army of One

BODY,BODY....HEAD..!!!!

IF YER HIT, YER DEAD!!!!

NARSES2

It's a very interesting aircraft and was postulated with so many engine options it's a perfect What If. I've built one but I must admit your night intruder has got me thinking of a 2 seat nightfighter ?
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Dizzyfugu

There's be plenty of space in the cockpit, the canopy is long enough. You just have to throw out the fuselage tank? There's just hardly space for more equipment - it's a pretty compact aircraft, despite being a twin engine design.