A couple of questions for Tornado buffs .

Started by darthspud, September 23, 2015, 12:33:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

darthspud

:tornado:
Got a build on and want to use some different whirry and bangy things underneath.
Thinking about
AN/AAQ14 on the front left hardpoint, 3 x PAVEWAY III on the remaining fuselage stations
On the inner wing pylons, Hindenberg tanks and 2x Sidewinders on each point
TIALD on port outer and similar on other side.

Would that be 'real' war load or do I need to source a RAPTOR pod instead of the aaq14?

I have all of the hasegawa 1/48 sets A,B & D plus the kit sidewinders and ALARMS.
too old for a paper round, too young for me pensions, dammit, back to work then!

JayBee

That sounds like a heck of a lot for a Chipmunk to carry.  :rolleyes:
Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!

darthspud

Looked in the stash and I could do a 1/48 Hawk with an awesome loadout. Sort of like the RAF in Iraq 1941 stylee.
too old for a paper round, too young for me pensions, dammit, back to work then!

PR19_Kit

Quote from: JayBee on September 23, 2015, 12:39:18 PM
That sounds like a heck of a lot for a Chipmunk to carry.  :rolleyes:

A Tonka Hindenberg tank is BIGGER than a Chipmunk, isn't it?  ;D

The AN/ AAQ 14 Lantirn pod is a targeting pod, so you wouldn't need one if you already had a TIALD. Whereas the RAPTOR pod is a multi-function recce pod without a targeting ability.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

darthspud

So, I could ditch the TIALD and the other recce pod  and fit additional air to air weapon pylon and missile? Or a pair of Mavericks? Or a dumb 500lb iron bomb even?

PR19_Kit

Hm, I don't know if a LANTIRN could work with a Tonka, whereas a TIALD definitely would, they were designed to do just that.

But this is Whiffworld of course.  ;D

Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

Hobbes

Wasn't the targeting stuff built in on the GR.4?

Weaver

The AN/AAQ-14 and TIALD do the same thing so you don't need both. RAPTOR is a recce pod so you probably wouldn't fly with that plus ground attack weapons.

ALARM was originally supposed to be mountable on the inboard wing Sidewinder pylons, but in the end they only wired the fuselage ones for it. You could go with 2 x ALARM + 2 x Sidewinder on the inners for a diffent look.

Tornados normally use the outboard wing pylons for ECM and countermeasures (Storm Shadow/Cerberus + BOZ pods). Depending on who you've got operating it, you could use US pods like ALQ-119V3 or ALQ-131 instead.

Quote from: Hobbes on September 23, 2015, 01:59:41 PM
Wasn't the targeting stuff built in on the GR.4?

No it's the nav stuff that's new: FLIR in one chin pod and GPS/INS Terrain Reference Navigation. The other chin pod still has the LRMTS.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Gondor

The assumption here is that your talking about the Ground Attack versions here rather than the Fighter versions of which there were two different ones, the F2 and F3.

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

Weaver

Quote from: Gondor on September 23, 2015, 04:28:05 PM
The assumption here is that your talking about the Ground Attack versions here rather than the Fighter versions of which there were two different ones, the F2 and F3.

Gondor

I'm not sure there's any external difference between the two (engine nozzles maybe?). F.3s went through a couple of upgrades that gave them partial, then full AMRAAM capability and limited ASRAAM capability, but again, I'm not sure there was any external sign of this. A few of the F.3s were also converted into EF.3s SEAD aircraft by adding  GR.1 fuselage pylons wired for ALARM and outer wing pylons activated for Sky Shadow + BOZ pods.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."

- Indiana Jones

darthspud

having checked, I have these available
BOZ109 x1
TIALD x1
Lantirn x2
All of The Hasegawa Weapon sets A,B & D (Air to Ground iron bombs, Guided Air to Ground weapons and guidance units and GBU units)
plus kit ALARMS x 8 and 4 x Sidewinder L or M variant.

As the kit pylon can be built with an inner and outer additional weapons mount i'll do that with Sidewinders, outer wing points will be 1 x ALARM and BOZ109
Fuselage will be 5 x GBU's probably PAVEWAY III
Plus there's a kit pod to fit to the fuselage next to the front wheel well and another fits directly behind that wheel well on the centreline.

Hobbes

Quote from: Weaver on September 23, 2015, 04:35:30 PM

Gondor

I'm not sure there's any external difference between the two (engine nozzles maybe?). F.3s went through a couple of upgrades that gave them partial, then full AMRAAM capability and limited ASRAAM capability, but again, I'm not sure there was any external sign of this. A few of the F.3s were also converted into EF.3s SEAD aircraft by adding  GR.1 fuselage pylons wired for ALARM and outer wing pylons activated for Sky Shadow + BOZ pods.

I've been meaning to build an F.2 with the nose hinged open to reveal the block of concrete. I've never seen a photo of the 'Blue Circle' radar though...

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Hobbes on September 24, 2015, 12:42:56 AM

Gondor

I've been meaning to build an F.2 with the nose hinged open to reveal the block of concrete. I've never seen a photo of the 'Blue Circle' radar though...

It looks very much like the 'Red Square' radar  fitted to XH558................  ;D :lol:

Regards
Kit

Gondor

Gondor

The Visual difference between the F2 and F3 was the length of the exhausts. The F2 had a lengthened fuselage and more pointed radome, as well as the semi recessed missiles under the fuselage and a few other differences to the GR1. The F3 also had an engine upgrade with a longer afterburning section or exhaust, can't remember which, as well as all the other modifications. I have a 1/72 Hasegawa F2 which is stalled part way through conversion to an F2T to be build in the OCU colours.

Quote from: darthspud on September 24, 2015, 12:31:03 AM
having checked, I have these available
BOZ109 x1
TIALD x1
Lantirn x2
All of The Hasegawa Weapon sets A,B & D (Air to Ground iron bombs, Guided Air to Ground weapons and guidance units and GBU units)
plus kit ALARMS x 8 and 4 x Sidewinder L or M variant.

As the kit pylon can be built with an inner and outer additional weapons mount i'll do that with Sidewinders, outer wing points will be 1 x ALARM and BOZ109
Fuselage will be 5 x GBU's probably PAVEWAY III
Plus there's a kit pod to fit to the fuselage next to the front wheel well and another fits directly behind that wheel well on the centreline.

So your building in 1/48 scale. I have a couple of boxes of the 1/48 Skunk Works Israeli weapons sets which I may be able to donate an item or two if required and if I have no plans for the items.

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

Weaver

Quote from: Gondor on September 24, 2015, 02:34:35 AM
The Visual difference between the F2 and F3 was the length of the exhausts. The F2 had a lengthened fuselage and more pointed radome, as well as the semi recessed missiles under the fuselage and a few other differences to the GR1.

The fixed wing gloves were longer on the F.2 compared to the GR.1. It also had one cannon instead of two and an internal refuelling probe, so no need for the bolt-on one. It also didn't have the LRMTS fairing. I seem to recall that early in it's development there was talk of a Visual Acquisition System (VAS) that would be similar to the system fitted under the nose of the F-14, but it got dropped at some point.

I've always liked the idea of an F.3 airframe fitted with strike avionics and systems as was proposed to the USAF.

Another pet idea of mine (which actually preceded the real-world EF.3) was the RAF keeping the F.3 on after Typhoon took over the fighter role and seriously converting them for the SEAD and/or recce roles.

- Indiana Jones