Supermarine Serpent mk.3a **finished**

Started by RAFF-35, September 24, 2015, 12:24:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RAFF-35

Quote from: loupgarou on September 24, 2015, 02:43:04 PM
Interesting project from an era often neglected. :wub:
Maybe the wings aren't enough "gullish" compared to the real 224? a small cordwise cut along the upper surface at the "fold" should allow more gullishness  ;D without too much trouble.

Haha, thanks for that  <_< again, I was thinking about doing that, but I remembered that the gull was only there to reduce the frontal cross section of the spats, and seeing how the Serpent is legless I didn't think there was much point in it  <_<
Quote from: Rick Lowe on September 24, 2015, 09:20:47 PM
Quote from: RAFF-35 on September 24, 2015, 02:42:23 PM
And I was weighing up whether to spat or not to spat, in the end, I came down in favour of not to spat. Two reasons for this, one, this is the mk.3 so spats would have been removed by the very late 30's in favour of retracting gear. And number secondly, I couldn't find anything to scratch a good pair of spats from at all  <_<

I think it was BdB on this site that had a "Quik'n'Dirty" Spat method - take a piece of sprue, attach it to the front of the wheel, curve two .5mm card shapes and attach either side of the sprue, glue them together at the rear (so you have a teardrop-ish shape when viewed from above) and fill/sand to final shape.

Hope that makes sense, if not maybe Brian will link to his method?

Cheers

Maybe we should have a spat group build at some point, just put spats on everything  :lol:
Don't let ageing get you down, it's too hard to get back up

zenrat

Hmm yes.  Spats might solve some of the issues with the 1/72 Airfix TSR2.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Captain Canada

There was a spat build years ago ! At least I think there was....our resident spat expert left the building a few years back though.....

:blink:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

zenrat

Spat the dummy?

Sorry, i'll get me coat...
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

RAFF-35

It does make sense, I might spat up everything now I know the trade secrets :thumbsup:

Rick Lowe

Quote from: Rick Lowe on September 24, 2015, 09:20:47 PM

I think it was BdB on this site that had a "Quik'n'Dirty" Spat method - take a piece of sprue, attach it to the front of the wheel, curve two .5mm card shapes and attach either side of the sprue, glue them together at the rear (so you have a teardrop-ish shape when viewed from above) and fill/sand to final shape.

Hope that makes sense, if not maybe Brian will link to his method?

Cheers

OOPS!! Sorry, that should have been a quick method for WHEEL PANTS.

I guess my memory is a 'bit pants' also...
Sorry, I'll get my coat...  ;D  :rolleyes:

I didn't realise BdB wasn't here any longer. A bit sad, that.
Cheers

RAFF-35

The build is more advanced than this but I haven't taken any photos recently, so here it is wearing its cammo  <_<

Captain Canada

Looks good. Certainly looks familiar !

:thumbsup:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

RAFF-35

Finally finished and weathered  ;D

Captain Canada

Looks like she's ready to klobber the Germans !   :thumbsup: Great job on this one. Certainly looks original ! I thought it would be more recognizable during build but now that I see it finished I think otherwise. Lovely job on the weathering as well.

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

The Rat

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

PR19_Kit

Quote from: The Rat on November 14, 2015, 01:43:12 PM
Still can't see the pictures.  :unsure:

I used my awesome powers as a moderator for the GB  ;D to check out the image files, and ImageShack says 'Sorry, this video is no longer available'.

Video?
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit