Some whifs I knocked up...

Started by Devilfish, October 01, 2015, 11:32:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Devilfish

DH Heron AEW.1
The Heron AEW.1 came from an RAF requirement to match the Royal Navy's newly acquired Skyraider AEW capability.  However the Treasury did not feel that a fully fledged AEW aircraft was warranted by the RAF at this time, so, to keep them quiet, allowed the development of 3 test aircraft.  A ground based search and tracking radar was modified to fit on top of a DH Heron aircraft, with it's electronics and 2 operators inside.
Tested operationally for 5 years around the borders of East and West Germany, they provided little new information into AEW design.

HS Watchman AEW.1
Upon purchasing 2 Ex USN Forrestal class carriers to replace the aging Eagle and Ark Royal, many aircraft were upgraded or replaced.  The venerable Gannet AEW was a bit long in the tooth by the 70's so a replacement was sort.  Having spent so much money in the US on the carriers and several aircraft types to fil them, it was decided that a British solution was to be sought.  Marconi, in collaboration with HS, put forward the Watchman system.  A modified HS.125, then in service with the RAF as the Dominie, fitted with more powerful engines, blown flying surfaces, In-flight refueling capability, extending nose gear and a rotodome fitted with powerful radar equipment.
Because of it's small size and the carriers large lifts, folding wings were not required.

Fokker Triton AS.1
The Triton was developed as a land based Anti-shipping and Anti-submarine aircraft for the Royal Navy.  Because of it's short field capability it was possible to land and take off from an aircraft carrier, but lack of folding wings meant it had to stay on deck.  This facility then, while practiced, was seldom used operationally.
Two sponsons under the fuselage housed a Ferranti side scanning search radar to seek out enemy subs.  The tail housed a MAD boom and the nose had a camera on a gimbal, for positive identification.  Only 4 pylons were carried , but a variety of weapons could be fielded.

Dizzyfugu

I like the Fokker very much - many good details!

Hobbes

You've been busy, nice projects  :thumbsup:

zenrat

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

PR19_Kit

I like it/them, both the thought processes and the models too.  :thumbsup: :bow:

Presumably the Heron had uprated engines too? Herons pretty much crawled across the sky without that socking great radome on top when they were airliners.  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Devilfish

Yes, I know, which was part of the idiocy of the whif.  I had the kit and had no idea what to do with it, as it really wasn't powerful enough or agile enough for anything I'd normally do with it.  Plus it's not even that cool.  So, make it even more useless..... :thumbsup:

zenrat

The Heron is Airfix isn't it?  They should re-pop it.
Fred

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Captain Canada

Great work ! I like all three, but my fave is the Triton. That looks right, and is a super cool idea. I have built a Naval Dominie myself, but mine had folding wings  :thumbsup:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

zenrat

Quote from: Captain Canada on October 02, 2015, 05:53:29 AM
...I have built a Naval Dominie myself, but mine had folding wings  :thumbsup:

How about one with a big telescope in the back for looking at the stars...

...an Astronomy Dominie  ;D

I'll get me coat...
Fred

PR19_Kit

Quote from: zenrat on October 02, 2015, 05:48:21 AM

They did, but a while ago now, as part of their 'Civil Aircraft Collection' that also included the Ford Trimotor and the DHC Beaver. The Beaver had British Army decals though..........  :unsure:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Captain Canada

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Tophe

congratulations! :thumbsup:
I like radar aircraft as not killing ones even if military... :-\
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

Devilfish

Quote from: PR19_Kit on October 02, 2015, 08:37:24 AM
Quote from: zenrat on October 02, 2015, 05:48:21 AM

They did, but a while ago now, as part of their 'Civil Aircraft Collection' that also included the Ford Trimotor and the DHC Beaver. The Beaver had British Army decals though..........  :unsure:

That's where mine came from. Someone had it but didn't want the Heron.  Awful kit. Fits where it touches. Doesn't touch in many places....