RAF PRU Blue & USAAF Haze Blue

Started by KJ_Lesnick, October 02, 2015, 07:30:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dizzyfugu

Quote from: PR19_Kit on October 06, 2015, 09:02:22 AM
The early F-15s were pale blue, but not for long.

One or more F-16 prototype(s), too, a very attractive color - even more in combo with the off-white wraparound scheme. IIRC the tone was called 'Air Superiority Blue', rumored to be FS 35450.

Here's one of the F-15s from 1972:

NARSES2

I built my sole F-15 in that scheme. Hasegawa kit ? when it first came out, eons ago
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

There was a 1/72 Monogram kit of the prototype that was actually moulded in that colour styrene.

I've had mine part-converted into a model of the 'Streak Eagle', the one that broke lots of time-to-height records, for well over 30 years now.  :banghead: :banghead:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

sandiego89

Quote from: PR19_Kit on October 08, 2015, 09:58:43 AM
There was a 1/72 Monogram kit of the prototype that was actually moulded in that colour styrene.

I've had mine part-converted into a model of the 'Streak Eagle', the one that broke lots of time-to-height records, for well over 30 years now.  :banghead: :banghead:

Perhaps this!    :thumbsup:

In the stash, and boy is she bright!  :o 

Bottom picture portrays the styrene color better.  

Mold stamped Revell Inc 1974!  Box says 1975.  Instructions call it molded in "air superiority blue".  You can tell lots was still unknown about the F-15 when the mold was made as it says it can also be built in the fighter/bomber configuration and the kit has some slick Mk82 bombs, and several proposed schemes.  Also touts the "new" rounded wingtips.  I think A's only flew with bombs for a few fits and trials.  

-Dave
Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

KJ_Lesnick

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on October 07, 2015, 08:04:40 AMHere's one of the F-15s from 1972:

Looks like the sky at sea-level, by 25,000 to 40,000 feet how would it blend?
That being said, I'd like to remind everybody in a manner reminiscent of the SNL bit on Julian Assange, that no matter how I die: It was murder (even if there was a suicide note or a video of me peacefully dying in my sleep); should I be framed for a criminal offense or disappear, you know to blame.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: sandiego89 on October 08, 2015, 02:58:16 PM

I've had mine part-converted into a model of the 'Streak Eagle', the one that broke lots of time-to-height records, for well over 30 years now.  :banghead: :banghead:

Perhaps this!    :thumbsup:

In the stash, and boy is she bright!  :o 

Bottom picture portrays the styrene color better.  

Mold stamped Revell Inc 1974!  Box says 1975.  Instructions call it molded in "air superiority blue".  You can tell lots was still unknown about the F-15 when the mold was made as it says it can also be built in the fighter/bomber configuration and the kit has some slick Mk82 bombs, and several proposed schemes.  Also touts the "new" rounded wingtips.  I think A's only flew with bombs for a few fits and trials.  

That styrene colour is spot-on for my ancient kit, but the initial Monogram issue had the squared off wing tips, no dog tooth leading edge to the tailplane and no weapons at all. That suited the 'Streak Eagles' configuration almost exactly which is why I picked that kit for the job.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

sandiego89

Quote from: PR19_Kit on October 09, 2015, 02:38:39 AM
Quote from: sandiego89 on October 08, 2015, 02:58:16 PM

That styrene colour is spot-on for my ancient kit, but the initial Monogram issue had the squared off wing tips, no dog tooth leading edge to the tailplane and no weapons at all. That suited the 'Streak Eagles' configuration almost exactly which is why I picked that kit for the job.

The Streak Eagle is most impressive.  http://www.thisdayinaviation.com/tag/streak-eagle/

Let's see airborne from hold back release: 3 seconds  :o
To 82,000+ feet: 161 seconds  :o  :o

Does make you wonder what a stripped down F-22 or PAK/FA could do.  I would think the Raptor with 2X35,000 lbs of trhust would be pretty impressive. 
Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

PR19_Kit

Quote from: sandiego89 on October 09, 2015, 07:24:08 AM

The Streak Eagle is most impressive.  http://www.thisdayinaviation.com/tag/streak-eagle/

Let's see airborne from hold back release: 3 seconds  :o
To 82,000+ feet: 161 seconds  :o  :o

Does make you wonder what a stripped down F-22 or PAK/FA could do.  I would think the Raptor with 2X35,000 lbs of trhust would be pretty impressive.  

You're not kidding, the flight profiles to get the records were very clever, involving an Immelmann turn right after take off!

My problem in building it was that it's a real bitch to paint, even though I have a decal sheet for it. There's around 4-5 different metallic shades required and that probably means Alclad and I have zero experience with that stuff.  :banghead:

Regards
Kit

jcf

1/32nd Streak Eagle on Hyperscale:

http://www.network54.com/Forum/47751/message/1440161205/1-32+F-15A+Streak+Eagle+Complete.%E2%80%8F

Real thing:

The model is very well done, but it's clear the modeller is unfamiliar with the appearance of gold-tone alodyned aluminum panels.

zenrat

The bit just under the canopy looks close to the real thing.
I'm thinking you'd replicate that by lots of complicated masking and airbrushing different shades of silver car paint decanted from rattle cans with a wash of Tamiya acrylic clear yellow/orange over the top.  The advantage of that is if you went wrong it should be possible to remove the acrylic without touching the lacquer underneath.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

NARSES2

Quote from: zenrat on October 10, 2015, 12:26:25 AM

Yup he's started to get there. Far, far better than anything I could do
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: NARSES2 on October 10, 2015, 05:06:28 AM
Quote from: zenrat on October 10, 2015, 12:26:25 AM

Yup he's started to get there. Far, far better than anything I could do

Which is why I stopped doing mine...............  :-\

Regards
Kit

KJ_Lesnick

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on October 07, 2015, 08:04:40 AMHere's one of the F-15s from 1972:

I'm curious about something -- why light blue?  I thought the whole idea of the F-15 was to allow maneuverability for higher altitudes (more like 20,000 to 30,000 feet) at which point the sky is darker...
That being said, I'd like to remind everybody in a manner reminiscent of the SNL bit on Julian Assange, that no matter how I die: It was murder (even if there was a suicide note or a video of me peacefully dying in my sleep); should I be framed for a criminal offense or disappear, you know to blame.