The 'Why did I ever buy THAT?' thread

Started by PR19_Kit, October 08, 2015, 02:29:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PR19_Kit

While searching through what's laughingly called 'The Model Room' in the PR19 House I came across a Mach 2 Vickers Valiant kit, thus the thread's title.

I can't even remember buying it, let alone why! And until today it'd obviously never been opened.

The rest of you are invited to add your own 'Why did I..................' etc. entries.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

scooter

The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

Captain Canada

I found some kind of Batplane in my stash, still wrapped, price tag on. I'm sure I didn't buy it why is it there ? :blink:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

zenrat

Quote from: scooter on October 08, 2015, 02:39:30 PM

There are days I wonder "Why" as well

And there will be days to come where you'll wonder how you ever managed without it.

I have an MPM Spit Mk XVIII which a forum member described as follows. "The whole front end is wrong being a distinct banana shape, the gull wing isn't pronounced enough, the area behind the cockpit is cut away under the canopy when the fuselage should continue (see the far superior Heller 16 and Airfix 22) and the wheels are crap".  It's also super flashy and the wings have a similar texture to 80 grade glasspaper.  It wasn't even particularly cheap.  I do know why I bought it though - I was in a buying frenzy at the Model Expo Swamp & Smell plus I was under the mistaken impression that all MPM products were as good as those I already had.

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

The Wooksta!

That sounds suspiciously like one of my comments.  I'm of the opinion that that particular kit is unsalvageable.  Buildable, yes, but not accurate.  I've also got their first PR19 as well, which is similarly affected.  I've an idea that they used a CMK kit as a master as I bought a CMK Spitfire 14 that had similar issues.

I've a Frog Me 262 that I bought on a whim thinking it was a Meteor IV, plus I always come back from Telford with at least one oddity - 2011 it was a biker figure, 2009 an Airfix railway Brake Van and last year an Airfix Bofors gun and tractor (although I had wanted that kit since I was twelve)
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

zenrat

Quote from: The Wooksta! on October 08, 2015, 05:42:20 PM
That sounds suspiciously like one of my comments....
;D

I keep a spreadsheet of what I buy and it includes a comments column into which I paste anything helpfull to remember when I get round to building the kit.
Fred

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

JasonW

:blink:
Quote from: scooter on October 08, 2015, 02:39:30 PM

There are days I wonder "Why" as well
Um.  :blink: You bought a school bus?! Was there a plan involved here or did you just decide you needed to drive a former school bus for no particular reason?
It takes only one drink to get me drunk. The trouble is, I can't remember if it's the thirteenth or the fourteenth.

- George Burns

eatthis

custom made pc desks built to order (including pc inside the the desk)

https://www.etsy.com/uk/your/listings?ref=si_your_shop

http://tinypic.com/m/hx3lmq/3

Rheged

Um.  :blink: You bought a school bus?! Was there a plan involved here or did you just decide you needed to drive a former school bus for no particular reason?
[/quote]
Time, energy, paint and new internal fittings and you've whiffed it into a totally unique camper.
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

JasonW

Quote from: PR19_Kit on October 08, 2015, 02:29:53 PM
While searching through what's laughingly called 'The Model Room' in the PR19 House I came across a Mach 2 Vickers Valiant kit, thus the thread's title.

I can't even remember buying it, let alone why! And until today it'd obviously never been opened.

The rest of you are invited to add your own 'Why did I..................' etc. entries.
I bought this kit when it first came out as well. The reason was simple, I wanted a 1/72 Valiant in injection plastic and this was pretty much the only game in town when it hit the market. Fortunately I was able to sell it and recover some of what I spent when I got wind of Airfix releasing a new mold kit.
It takes only one drink to get me drunk. The trouble is, I can't remember if it's the thirteenth or the fourteenth.

- George Burns

The Wooksta!

I wanted one so badly I bought one when it came out and another a year or so later at Telford.  I managed to flog that one for about what I paid for it, but the first will be built wheels up as a tanker in Hemp/LAG.

I'm still wondering why I got that F80C earlier today when I have one already and only really want to do one aircraft! Ditto with the Matchbox Tempest as I have a whole slew awaiting finishing and another two sealed from Kitbasher.  Hang on, I know why - they were cheap and I can never resist a bargain.

Some dude from the 580 Modellers was doing his best to try and get me to buy something from his stash clearance.  He failed though. ;D
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

Army of One

Oh......where to start.....not sure really......but i know i won't buy another starfix kit....I'm sure thats the maker.....i think it may be a Tucano....or meant to be.....haven't seen it for ages but i know it's there....somewhere.....

Thinking about it.....i think it may be an Alpha jet....I'm sure it's a trainer of some sort......
BODY,BODY....HEAD..!!!!

IF YER HIT, YER DEAD!!!!

zenrat

Quote from: eatthis on October 11, 2015, 02:27:34 PM

Traditionally doesn't the engagement ring go on first?
Fred

scooter

Quote from: JasonW on October 11, 2015, 02:25:06 PM
Um.  :blink: You bought a school bus?! Was there a plan involved here or did you just decide you needed to drive a former school bus for no particular reason?

It's being gutted and turned into an RV
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

PR19_Kit

I've just come across a VERY battered box of an Italeri B-57G. Most of the kit is in there, but it only has one half of the nose 'cheeks'......

What EVER did I have in mind when I bought it???
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit