Large pin-up style tail/nose art on modern(ish) planes

Started by Snowtrooper, October 11, 2015, 03:24:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Snowtrooper

I'm looking for tail art or very large nose art depicting attractive ladies (from chaste to lewd), painted on modern(ish) planes (and why not helicopters too, the art can always be misappropriated), say, from after the Vietnam War to present day. Yes, Google Image Search, but I was thinking of saving a few (hundred) hours and asking whether you kind people knew some good examples (except those that I know of already) right away. ;)

I'm of course aware of the multitude of nose art from Vietnam/Gulf War I/II/War on Terror, but generally (apart from transports/tankers/B-52's), these tend to be on the smaller size - exceptions to the rule are of course welcome to be mentioned! I know, whiffing 1/48 or 1/32 nose art onto a 1/72 kit would make it look larger...

But what I'm really after is art large enough in its intended scale to cover the entire tail, or a suitably large part of fuselage/nose. Availability as decals, preferably in 1/72 scale (either as part of a kit or an aftermarket set) is a major bonus (practically a requirement).

Some examples I've found (to illustrate what I actually mean :wub:):

• the various F-16A/MLU "Dianas" of 323 Squadron KLu (blue and yellow "Dirty Diana" 50th anniversary, rejected summer/Christmas versions of 60th anniversary, 65th anniversary; blue in the Revell F-16A "Belgian Spitfire" boxing; yellow in Italeri F-16 boxing; blue, yellow, and both 60th versions in DACO sets; 65th in Hasegawa's Diana Combo)
  • AMI 23 Gruppo/5 Stormo F-16 ADF "L'Ultima Diana" (Hasegawa's Diana Combo or Twobobs set)
  • AdA EC5/330 Mirage 2000D Tigermeet 2010 (DXM set)
  • AdA CEAM Mirage 2000C Fairford RIAT 1997 (Xtradecal set)

Any others?

kerick

Some of these might work. You may have to sign up as a member to order, I'm not sure. Good Luck.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

Weaver

"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Snowtrooper

Quote from: Weaver on October 12, 2015, 12:03:09 AM
Not sure if Kerick intended to provide a link to the Starship Modeller pinup decals, but here they are anyway:

https://starshipmodeler.biz/shop/index.cfm/category/186/nose-art-and-cheesecake-decals.html
Thanks, I guess... but of that selection, all "generic" sheets except one are out of stock. The few individual arts are made to fit on top of a 1:72 Starfury, so to fit them on a tail of a real plane would involve some heavy cutting (and would still be on one side only). Maybe I'll consider the last of those generic sheets, but then again, Pinups Plus has more available choice in generic/retro nose art, including some mirrored sheets for putting the same image on both sides of the plane.

However, I would really prefer real world paint schemes from the modern era, as in my examples (though "generic" alternative recommendations are also still welcome). While a completely fictitious paintscheme has a charm of its own, there's also an odd attraction in misappropriating something "real", eg. putting a Mirage tail/fuselage art on a F-16. And would prefer the more extensive kind instead of "just" a noseart.

Steel Penguin

the starfury ones look great across the body and wings of a TSR2  ( my ASAT on has got the sea witch on her)
so you could go for similar, high or low wing planes  ( top of an F15, bottom of a phantom etc)
the things you learn, give your mind the wings to fly, and the chains to hold yourself steady
take off and nuke the site form orbit, nope, time for the real thing, CAM and gridfire, call special circumstances. 
wow, its like freefalling into the Geofront
Not a member of the Hufflepuff conspiracy!

kerick

Quote from: Weaver on October 12, 2015, 12:03:09 AM
Not sure if Kerick intended to provide a link to the Starship Modeller pinup decals, but here they are anyway:

https://starshipmodeler.biz/shop/index.cfm/category/186/nose-art-and-cheesecake-decals.html

Yes, this is what I was going for. Funny thing about copy, you have to paste afterward!
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

philp

There is the Hasagawa Ace Combat aircraft but I think those are only in 1/48th scale and the art is Manga.
Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies

Snowtrooper

Thanks for the reminder! After a bit of googling, actually the art is originally from a game series called The Idolmaster, but Ace Combat 6 & Ace Combat: Assault Horizon featured quite a few of these skins so that's why they ended up on planes in the first place (and thus on Hasegawa's 1/48 and 1/72 kits - okay, many of them seem to be reboxings from others). And there's plenty of them available in 1:72 too, Googling found me the following list in that scale. Of course, many of these are OOP but that's what Evilbay is for if I ever even become inspired by these. The paint schemes seem to go rather overboard and the set of anime/manga characters don't seem as appealing as they could - but who knows...

QuoteF-22: Revell
Typhoon: Revell
Mirage 2000: Italeri Mirage 2000C
Rafale M: Italeri
F-4EJ: Hasegawa F-4EJ Kai Super Phantom E37
F-2A: Hasegawa E15
F/A-18F: Hasegawa initial boxing with the old style ECS stacks
F-15E: Old Hasegawa F-15E boxing without long CFT pylons
A-10A: Hasegawa raised panel lines
F-16C: Hasegawa F-16CJ Block 50 D18
F-14D: Hasegawa standard F-14D
AV-8B: Hasegawa AV-8B Plus
J35J: Hasegawa
F-117: Hasegawa with bomb bay
Su-47: Zvezda
Su-33: Hasegawa standard Su-33

zenrat

If anime figures are acceptable for your needs then check out Itasha (japanese for Pain Car) kits and decal sets.

http://www.hlj.com/scripts/hljlist?Word=itasha&DisplayMode=images&Dis=2&Sort=std&qid=LJMH9FBKFBBG0S&set=1&q=1&MacroType2=autpas
The decal sheets are huge, most of them feature young girls in short skirts (which could be a good thing or bad) and if you are not into building cars you could probably sell the kits on without them.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..