DONE +++ Blackburn Bonxie T.I 'NY-B'/‘T1675' of RAF 362 (Faroe Islands) Squadron

Started by Dizzyfugu, October 12, 2015, 01:16:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dizzyfugu

Potentially #10: based on a similar idea as TallEng's Spitfire on floats, I might put a Blackburn Skua on floats (and maybe add a torpedo) and send it on a 1940 mission at the fringes of the BoB region.

Gondor

You have just given me an idea......

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

Captain Canada

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Dizzyfugu

It's not as exotic as it sounds:

In real life, a Roc was put on floats from a Blackburn Shark torpedo bomber (as well as Spitfire Mk. I, the first attempt into this direction). I considered the latter "option" for a GB submission, but eventually rejected it because the Spitfire was so new at the GB's time that I doubt that any airframe would have been sacrificed for what I have in mind - rather second line aircraft, preferrably with a radial engine.

So, I might turn this waterborne Skua into a torpedo bomber - not certain yet if I use Ar 196 floats, or rather more authentic Shark floats - the Shark's gear has the benefit of being "more realistic", but it's also designed to carry a torpedo between the struts. The Arado's, with its W-shaped struts, will certainly need some surgery...

We'll see.

JayBee

The old FROG Shark under it's Eastern Express disguise is still listed by Hannants.

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/EA72286

Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!

Dizzyfugu

I have both at hand - the Eastern Express re-issue is a rather nice new offering, based on the FROG thing. The tons of rivets are gone, and instead there are clean surfaces with engraved details. Still very basic, but probably a good conversion basis. There's also a Pavla and Special Hobby offering, but that kits comes at a price tag five times as large, and that's not worth it...  :-\

Same goes for the Blackburn Shark, if you are after some authentic floats for a Roc or an early aquatic Spitfire!

The Rat

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on October 12, 2015, 08:22:04 AM
I have both at hand - the Eastern Express re-issue is a rather nice new offering, based on the FROG thing. The tons of rivets are gone, and instead there are clean surfaces with engraved details.

Rivets? :unsure: I'm building the old Revell/Frog one now, not a rivet in sight. Raised panel lines, but not too intrusive.

It's a fairly easy build, but the landing gear was a bit troublesome. I glued the gear legs to the doors with what seemed like a normal lie, but when they were installed the axles had a pronounced slant to the rear, so the wheels would have been distinctly pigeon-toed. You may wish to attach the legs to the doors after attaching the doors to the wings, so that you can ensure they lie straight. Unless EE reworked the canopy, the frame lines are so thick that in real life the visibility would be severely limited.

I also thinned the rear edge of the cowling to make it more realistic, if you do that be sure you leave at least three thick parts as attachment points.

The wing-fuselage join was a canyon, you may need to shim it with some plastic card.
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

Dizzyfugu

Yes, #10 will materialize. Rather subtle, in typical British naval colors and as a torpedo bomber on floats. Yet, with a design twist for its theatre of operations... ;)

BTW: yes, no rivets - sorry for the misnomer. Besides, you get sinkholes, flash, and the landing gear looks rather troublesome. Good that I will not need it, I guess that scrathcing it completely would be easier than trying to install the stuff...  :-\

Dizzyfugu

Work on #10 started. The Skua is SO horrible that I won't put much effort into extra interior detail, but I'll add a tank between the seats in order to fill that huge void. The wing/fuselage intersection promises lots of entertainment - I tried a very early dry-fitting, and I doubt that wings and fuselage actually belong to the same kit? Hell...  :-\
The Shark floats went together nicely, though, and I will use struts from the Shark kit for an individual solution. The Shark's torpedo is also a welcome item, despite being rather clumsy.

Captain Canada

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Dizzyfugu

Barely... It's like glueing two mummies together!  :-X

On the other side, this one promises to bear real retro-charm. The Skua on floats looks very natural, reminds me a lot of the Ar 196, even though it's more slender.

Currently fighting with the fuselage and the wings. NOTHING fits, sinkholes everywhere... the Skua looks so innocent, but the kit is not.

Dizzyfugu

By the way, more views from the "mummy-mess":

1:72 Blackburn Bonxie T.I (Whif/Kitbashing) by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

Inside of the cockpit a huge tank was added, IIRC it's from a Revell Me 262 and is just right in size and shape to fill the huge void between the crew members - the canopy is pretty clear, so this added detail is worthwhile. The landing gear wells have been filled, as well as the tail wheel space under the tail fin.

Note the sorry French F4F in the background that awaits completion.  :rolleyes:

Dizzyfugu

Not much progress lately, lots of work and extra hours. Nevertheless, the Shark's torpedo installation found its place:

Initial holes for the float tsruts have also been drilled up, and the fuselage front holds a light blocker/bulkhead in the form of a sheet of foamed styrene.

Dizzyfugu

Again, some hardware news - the floats! It's really tricky to add floats to an aircraft. It's got to be stable, have some more or less plausible attachment points, and in this case I need space for the torpedo and its launch. Parts are taken from the Blackburn Shark, proportions are good. A new exhaust with flame dampers will be fitted, too. Its position behind the float strut is not perfect, but it works.  ;D

1:72 Blackburn Bonxie T.I (Whif/Kitbashing) - WiP by dizzyfugu, on Flickr