DONE +++ Blackburn Bonxie T.I 'NY-B'/‘T1675' of RAF 362 (Faroe Islands) Squadron

Started by Dizzyfugu, October 12, 2015, 01:16:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nighthunter

"Mind that bus." "What bus?" *SPLAT!*

Dizzyfugu

In the meantime, ready for painting. I basically keep the Bonxie in classic RN colors, Dark Sea Grey (Humbrol 224) and Dark Sea Grey (Humbrol 164), while the undersides become Sky Grey - I used Humbrol 166 (RAF Light Aircraft Grey). Floats will become bare aluminum, probably with black and chipped paint under the waterline.

Conservative choice, yes, but there'll be a twist.  ;)

1:72 Blackburn Bonxie T.I (Whif/Kitbashing) - WiP by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

ericr

interesting struts, especially the front ones going so far up  :o

Dizzyfugu

Yes, it looks a bit odd. It's the (interesting) result of the transplantation of the Blackburn Shark's struts - the construction is rather unusual! Adapting it was tricky, but looks interesting, nevertheless.  ;)

zenrat

Ooh I like it.
Have you thought of using one of those long front float struts to carry a ladder for the crew to climb up?
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Dizzyfugu

That's been placed at the wings' training edge.  ;) The front end would IMHO be too hazardous, in the proximity of the propeller and the exhaust.

zenrat

No no no.  Just put a warning label there and everything will be OK.  Trust me, i'm a Health & Safety professional... ;D
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

ericr

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on November 05, 2015, 12:06:29 AM
Yes, it looks a bit odd. It's the (interesting) result of the transplantation of the Blackburn Shark's struts - the construction is rather unusual! Adapting it was tricky, but looks interesting, nevertheless.  ;)

yes, right, the original indeed has the same high-up position
(to me "interesting" has  positive meaning anyway  ;D )

Captain Canada

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

nighthunter

"Mind that bus." "What bus?" *SPLAT!*

The Rat

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

Dizzyfugu

Thanks a lot! In this wake of enthusiasm. some more progress concerning the Bonxie's paint job.

Black ink wash:

Panel shading, upper sides:

Panel shading from below - note the overpainted roundels (with Sky) as part of the whiffing plan  :wacko::

bxi00887 by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

The reason behind this treatment to be revealed soon...  ;D

Dizzyfugu

Now the moment of revelation - this was the inspiration behind the Bonxie, the Faroese flag (Merkið) and the islands's role in 1940:

Exotic, isn't it? ;D And this becomes of it on the kit, with scratched national markings (from separate decal strips) in Norwegian style:

1:72 Blackburn Bonxie T.I; aircraft 'NY-B'/'T1675' of RAF 362 (Faroe Islands) Squadron, Sørvágur Harbor/Vágar, during Operation Valentine, summer 1940 (Whif/kitbashing) - WiP by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

1:72 Blackburn Bonxie T.I; aircraft 'NY-B'/'T1675' of RAF 362 (Faroe Islands) Squadron, Sørvágur Harbor/Vágar, during Operation Valentine, summer 1940 (Whif/kitbashing) - WiP by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

And there's an official title for the machine:
Blackburn Bonxie T.I; aircraft 'NY-B'/'T1675' of RAF 362 (Faroe Islands) Squadron, Sørvágur Harbor/Vágar, during Operation Valentine, summer 1940

PR19_Kit

Magic stuff there!  :thumbsup: :bow:

Who'd EVER have thought of operations over the Faroes?  :unsure:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit