Allan home-made mottle mask

Started by Allan, October 16, 2015, 09:35:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Allan

knocked this up in an hour or so.....cut the clear plastic into shape with scissors, then punched some holes  in it with an awl (paper punch might be the go next time)and shaped each hole with files of differing shapes and sanded both sides with sandpaper...the holes look about 1/48 scale to me....when I'm using it I may cover the mottles I'm not interested in with some clear tape

NARSES2

Good idea Al

Aeroclub ? used to do an etch one with 1/72-1/48 size holes. I used it a couple of times with spray cans but it was a bit fiddly on 1/72 to be honest.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Captain Canada

Nice one Allan ! I might have to try that.....

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Allan

Chris and Capt
I'm working on a 1/72 Fw 190D and mottling might be hard with an airbrush even with the mask, so I'm going to try pastels with a short brush after matt coating the light blue to give the pastel something to grip

NARSES2

Be interesting to see how the pastel idea goes
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Ed S

I've used the pastel method for this previously, and have had excellent results and it really is easy to do. It's forgiving and if you do screw up, you can remove the error with a soft pencil eraser and redo it.

Ed
We don't just embrace insanity here.  We feel it up, french kiss it and then buy it a drink.

Rick Lowe

Quote from: NARSES2 on October 17, 2015, 05:48:28 AM
Good idea Al

Aeroclub ? used to do an etch one with 1/72-1/48 size holes. I used it a couple of times with spray cans but it was a bit fiddly on 1/72 to be honest.

IIRC it was Airwaves... you might find a picture online, then you could cut a piece of sheet to match.
There were both the mottle blobs and a nice wavy edge on the same mask.

Found one - Eduard have one in 1/48:

https://www.modelhobbies.co.uk/shop/eduard-mottle-mask-xf564-p-25641.html

FWIW, HTH

NARSES2

Allan

I've always loved the scalloped edges to the wings and so photocopied the mottle mask and cut out the edges with a knife and taped them to the wings of my 190 D9...then thinned some blue paint and ever so gently misted on some coats with the airbrush a little distance from the wing and moving the brush from the back of the wing to the leading edges to prevent paint getting under the tape...when I remove the masking later on we'll see how things turned out

Allan

I don't really blow my own horn very often, but it is with perhaps justifiable pride that I present this photo of the tape removed from my 190D showing that the wing leading edges scalloping has truly turned out pretty well...I feel very Matrixone-like with the way I have used my airbrush to achieve this effect
I've anointed both sides of the fus with Testors dull coat and now have to decided whether to start the pastel mottling first or mask the plane again to paint the fuselage spine in the two camo colours and then attempt the pastel mottling

NARSES2

That's turned out really well mate  :thumbsup:

Allan

the model is now finished and I will show you next time

dumaniac

nice camo and paint job - looking forward to seeing the finished model

NARSES2

Allan