1/72 EE Lightning HF.2A

Started by The Big Gimper, October 17, 2015, 04:39:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dizzyfugu

Nice! How about a tandem landing gear with small outriggers (Harrier style)? Even if a tricycle landing gear retracts into the fuselage, the track is pretty narrow... ground handling must be rather wobbly and hazardous?
Anyway, the idea is cool, and I am curious about the paint scheme. An all-grey low-viz livery?

McColm

The B-47 type landing gear arrangement could be used.

trickyrich

I love this idea!!!  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Can't wait to see where you go with it! I liked what you used for the main wing, mach easier than trying to make big wings!

If you had the room in the rear section a tandem main gear setup would be the way to go with outriggers, but judging the fuselage you won't have that much room. Other idea would be to copy what they did with a couple of the Soviet passenger jets and fit a pod to each wing into which the main gear can fold back into. That way each main gear truck can have 4 smaller wheels, will leave the wings nice and smooth, plus you have the forward section of the pods free for sensors etc!

kitnut617

Quote from: The Big Gimper on October 18, 2015, 05:39:29 AM
Quote from: PR19_Kit on October 18, 2015, 05:10:46 AM
You have S-3 kits in the PLURAL?  :o

Yup. I needed 4 TF-34 engines for another build so I have two engineless S-3s.

Have a look here Carl, there might be something you could use instead   (under engines)

http://www.contrailsmodels.com/Engines.html
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

The Big Gimper

Quote from: trickyrich on October 19, 2015, 02:12:09 AM
I love this idea!!!  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Can't wait to see where you go with it! I liked what you used for the main wing, mach easier than trying to make big wings!

If you had the room in the rear section a tandem main gear setup would be the way to go with outriggers, but judging the fuselage you won't have that much room. Other idea would be to copy what they did with a couple of the Soviet passenger jets and fit a pod to each wing into which the main gear can fold back into. That way each main gear truck can have 4 smaller wheels, will leave the wings nice and smooth, plus you have the forward section of the pods free for sensors etc!

@TrickyRick: Those pods (which are cool BTW) are Anti-shock body's also known as Whitcomb body or Küchemann carrot. Anti-shock bodies, apparently developed in TsAGI and serving dual purpose as undercarriage bogie fairings, were first applied to Tupolev Tu-16 ''Badger'', that flew for the first time in April 1952, and were to remain a unique feature of the company's products up to and including the Tu-154.

I like the look of them and will into the feasibility of using them.

@Dizzyfugu: The finish will be either NMF or all-grey low-viz livery. It depends on when I want to the in-service date.
Work In Progress ::

Lots of stuff

trickyrich

Quote from: The Big Gimper on October 19, 2015, 03:57:27 AM
Quote from: trickyrich on October 19, 2015, 02:12:09 AM

@TrickyRick: Those pods (which are cool BTW) are Anti-shock body's also known as Whitcomb body or Küchemann carrot. Anti-shock bodies, apparently developed in TsAGI and serving dual purpose as undercarriage bogie fairings, were first applied to Tupolev Tu-16 ''Badger'', that flew for the first time in April 1952, and were to remain a unique feature of the company's products up to and including the Tu-154.

I like the look of them and will into the feasibility of using them.

@Dizzyfugu: The finish will be either NMF or all-grey low-viz livery. It depends on when I want to the in-service date.

Arr I just learnt something, thanks. The more I think about them the more I like the idea, pity I don't have a project to use this idea for!!

Weaver

This looks great - nice project!  :thumbsup:

I agree with the Küchemann Carrot solution to the undercarriage: gives optimum wing structure to take a LOT of stress adds area-ruling and gives a decent undercarriage track.

Colour-wise, how about some variation on PRU blue for the undersides at least, or maybe a darker blue to hide it against the sky as seen at high altitude?
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones