A Defiant and a Tempest

Started by NARSES2, October 17, 2015, 06:13:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NARSES2

Couple of my latest

Bolton Paul Defiant Mk I of 8 Squadron, Aden Protectorate early 1942.

As more and more dedicated night fighters became available the Defiants that had been put into service in this role gradually became redundant and were passed on for second line duties. For some unknown reason a dozen of them found themselves onboard a freighter headed out east and in February 1942 were unloaded at the port of Aden.

This therefore is how 8 Squadron RAF became the only user of this aircraft in the Middle East theatre. 8 Squadron had been reformed in the Protectorate in the 1930's and had been equipped with numerous differing types for its roles of coastal shipping lane protection and the policing of the desert regions. Equipped in the main with 1930's biplane Army-Cooperation types the Defiants were a welcome change to a more modern type and were to serve together with the Squadron's Blenheims until the end of the war.

One immediate problem however was that the aircraft was not fitted out for use in the dusty conditions found in the area. This was soon solved however by the base engineers at RAF Khormaksar who well versed in the skills of fabricating equipment in relatively primitive conditions quickly came up with the rather neat dust filter that forever after was known as the "Khormaksar Filter".

Initially used in the air sea rescue and coastal patrol roles it was soon realized that the aircraft was far more suited to the policing of the tribal areas. In the 1920's the British had discovered that policing the North West Frontier regions of India was much more efficiently done, and more cheaply as well, from the air. Any restless villages would first be bombed by leaflets warning them of an impending attack if they did not behave and then if necessary they would be attacked from the air. This usually resulted in the tribe/clan behaving it 'self (at least for a while) and was far cheaper in both cash and life than using the traditional punitive column.

Thus armed with 20lb Cooper bombs on the racks initially used for the ASR packages and flares and, quite often with two of the 0.303" Browning's removed from the turret the aircraft had was quite successful in the air-policing role right through to the end of the war when they were replaced with more modern types looking for something to do. The removal of the two Browning's, whilst maintaining the four gun ammunition load meant that the aircraft could remain on station far longer and it wasn't the weight of fire that was required to keep heads down while its partner dropped its bombs, purely the fire it 'self.

The kit is the new tool Airfix one and is the second I've built. To my mind this is the best single seater Airfix have made. It beats the Hurricane in my opinion although that kit is superb and it will be interesting to see how the new Wildcat compares. (First signs are very good). So no problems with the build then. The "Khormaksar Filter" is a cut down Volkes type from Airfix's older Mk II Hurricane and once trimmed fits as if it was made for the Defiant. Paints this time are Lifecolor for the camouflage with Humbrol, GW and Vallejo for the details. Now I like Lifecolor but I must admit their Azure Blue has a problem with Klear. When you coat it with Klear it ends up with purplish streaks ! No idea why and none of their other shades reacts this way. Is it just this pot ? I've no idea but it happens consistently so I'll be getting some of their own varnish at Telford that's for sure. Transfers are from the kit and the spares box.

Now to be honest the two gun solution came about because I broke a barrel off ! I tried to glue it back, but could I ? Could I heck ! Anyway the sharp eyed will notice that she is almost a single m.g. machine in the photos. Yup clumsy me nearly broke another off during the photo session and I didn't notice. Fixed now however, touching wood.

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

NARSES2

Here's the second build

The Hawker Tempest Mk I was always the prettiest of the type but unfortunately problems with its engine meant that it only ever existed in prototype form. However as What If modelers it is in our power to alter history and depict such machines as being in service.

So here we have a Hawker Tempest Mk I of 3 Squadron RAF Shoreham during the autumn of 1943. 3 Squadron had been chosen to become the first users of the new Hawker type in the latter half of 1942 and had transitioned from the Hurricane in January 1943. However extended teething problems meant that the Squadron did not become operational until the late summer of 1943. It was eventually realized that the appearance of far more complex and sophisticated engines such as the Nappier used in the tempest meant that RAF fitters and mechanics needed to have far more training on the specific types. Once this change had been made to the regime the aircraft serviceability rates shot up exponentially. The RAF was in the lucky position at this stage of the war with the UK no longer directly threatened to be able to do this. This would have been impossible in 1940 and even 1941 and was a problem which would now start to haunt the Luftwaffe. Tempest Mk I's continued in service to the end of the war and were eventually joined by their cousins the Mk II, Mk V and the Mk VI. Used initially against hit and run raiders where its high speed proved a distinct advantage it finished the war mainly in the fighter bomber role.

Now as far as I know there is no kit for the Tempest Mk I so this model is based on the Ventura conversion, picked up for £2 at a show, which basically consists of the fuselage, the wing radiators and a vacform canopy. The conversion kit is designed for the Heller Tempest V but as I didn't have one of those but loads of Academy ones I decided to use it on one of those. It fitted as though it was made for the kit. Truly a very, very easy conversion that produces a model of an extremely attractive aircraft. If you see one of these conversion kits and are worried about the work involved, don't. It seriously just required a little trimming and putty at the wing root and that was it.

Paints are my usual mix Xtracrylic, Lifecolor, Humbrol, GW and Vallejo, with the transfers coming from a DP Casper sheet for Operation Jubilee and the Academy kit for the serial.

My first serious conversion for a long time and it's encouraged me to try more. Well worth it.

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

They BOTH look and read remarkably believable Chris. Excellent jobs all round.  :thumbsup: :bow:

Does the Tempest have a dihedral tailplane BTW?
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

Quote from: PR19_Kit on October 17, 2015, 06:17:39 AM
They BOTH look and read remarkably believable Chris. Excellent jobs all round.  :thumbsup: :bow:

Does the Tempest have a dihedral tailplane BTW?

Cheers Kit. As for the tailplane ? It does on mine. Not sure in real life but that's the way the roots go

kitbasher

very nice Chris.  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:  Surprised we've not yet seen a Defiant TT conversion for the Airfix kit.
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

PR19_Kit

Quote from: kitbasher on October 17, 2015, 07:25:25 AMSurprised we've not yet seen a Defiant TT conversion for the Airfix kit.

Didn't someone do one for the earlier, rubbish, moulding? I keep thinking C Scale, but they tended to do their work for more modern stuff.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

The Wooksta!

The TT was based on the Defiant mk II with the longer Merlin cowling.  Pegasus did a complete kit, which isn't bad and certainly superior to the older Airfix kit.

Just masking one off now, with a half built one that was donated and two unstarted in the stash.  ;D
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

PR19_Kit

Quote from: The Wooksta! on October 17, 2015, 01:54:44 PM

....which isn't bad and certainly superior to the older Airfix kit.

Almost anything by Starfix was superior to that load of old rubbish!  ;D

I'd forgotten the Pegasus kit, thanks for the reminder Lee.  :thumbsup:

Regards
Kit

The Rat

Those both look great! The Defiant is, in my opinion, a very handsome aircraft, turret and all. A real pity that there weren't more real world versions. But I guess that's what we're here for eh?  :lol:
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

The Chaos

zenrat

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Tophe

I am surprised; I knew the Tempest was a very famous very ugly airplane with a very ugly chin-like radiator, and you turned this heretically into a top beauty!? Veterans will hate such lack of History respect, preferring beauty instead of memory... No? (As far as I am concerned, I love this, but I have no veteran medal)
;) :wub:
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

NARSES2

Tophe

"My" Tempest Mk I was a real aircraft. Unfortunately engine problems meant itt wasn't developed

kitbasher

Quote from: Tophe on October 18, 2015, 06:52:37 AM
I knew the Tempest was a......very ugly airplane

What??!!

How very dare you sir!
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

tc2324

Nice work there mate.  :thumbsup:

Love the look of the Tempest.
74 `Tiger` Sqn Association Webmaster

Tiger, Tiger!