Aichi D3A Val, Luftwaffe SG77, France August 1940

Started by nönöbär, October 18, 2015, 03:40:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nönöbär

The Plane:

In Spring of 1939, Germany and Japan signed a cooperation in assisting each other in aircraft development. As part of this agreement, Luftwaffe testpilots were allowed to test new Japanese Army or Navy aircraft, and Japanese pilots were able to do the same with Luftwaffe aircraft at Rechlin.

As part of this cooperation, the Luftwaffe tested the Aichi D3A dive bomver which was introduced by the IJN in 1938. With a higher speed and range the Aichi had some advantages compared to the Junkers Ju 87, however, the Junkers was able to carry a higher bomb load.

In Summer 1940 - after the fall of France - the Luftwaffe shifted its main focus on Britain. During the planning of Luftwaffe attacks on South England, Luftwaffe officers criticized the vulnarabiity of the Ju 87 which they seem to be too slow compared to the British fighters.
Surprisingly, the Luftwaffe Oberkommando listened to those warning voices and made a request to Japan to buy (or better exchange) Aichi D3A for the Luftwaffe Stukageschwader in France.

In late July 1940,  Aichi D3A were flown form Japan to Germany, together with the same number of Mitsubishi A6M Zeros (see https://www.whatifmodellers.com/index.php/topic,39028.msg643194.html), using several stops in the Soviet Union. One aircraft was damaged during the transfer flight but the 35 remaining were quickly integrated into the Stukageschwader at the French coast.

The Val was initally used during the attacks on Adlertag - August 13 - there it targeted the British Home Chain radar staions. Like the Stuka dive bombers, the Aichi planes could not convince in those attacks as the caused damaged could easiely be repaired.
With further progress of the Battle of Britain, the planes were mainly used against costal shipping and pin-point attacks on RAF airfields. With only 35 planes on duty, the toll of continuous attacks was high and after 4 weeks of operations, only 11 planes were left.

Even with the higher speed, the overall performance was not much better than the one of the Ju 87 and the planes proved to be too vulnerable against RAF fighters.

After the Battle of Britain, the remaining planes were used in the Mediterranian and North Africa. Additonally the planes were tested on board of the carrier Graf Zeppelin.

The model shows a Aichi D3A Val of the Stukkageschwader 77 just before Adlertag.

Various views of the Aichi D3A Val

Japanese aircraft in Luftwaffe service

The Model:

The Aichi D3A Val is made from an Airfix kit which seemed to use some quite old molds. Made OOB, only the colors and decals are different to the original. Decals were taken form an Italieri Ju 87 and the spare part box.
The model is airbrushed with Revel AquaColor. 
Daily updates from my engineer: https://twitter.com/Scratchbr1

--------------------
German Naval History               : www.german-navy.de
Bärenreisen                             : www.barenurlaub.de

zenrat

Nice.  It looks right in those clothes somehow.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

PR19_Kit

Sure beats the hell out of a Stuka in the looks department.  :thumbsup: :bow:

Very believable backstory and the model looks great as well.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Captain Canada

Looks great in those colours and markings, and love the little dio as well. The story makes sense too,

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

NARSES2

Quote from: zenrat on October 18, 2015, 04:03:07 AM

Totally agree. Excellent model  :thumbsup:

I've got an old Airfix kit in the stash; Hungarian ? Possibly
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

kitbasher

Quote from: NARSES2 on October 18, 2015, 07:14:14 AM
Quote from: zenrat on October 18, 2015, 04:03:07 AM

Totally agree. Excellent model  :thumbsup:

I've got an old Airfix kit in the stash; Hungarian ? Possibly

Yes - to me a Stuka first flown in 1930 rather than the mid 30s.  Amazed to read that the first Ju 87 prototype was built by AB Flygindustri (sv) in Sweden and secretly shipped to Germany in late 1934.

Hungarian?  That would be smart.  Better still Spanish Civil War Condor Legion.
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter