1/72 F-111K Build

Started by Gondor, October 18, 2015, 09:20:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Canada

The weapons bay tanks, those are neat, love the way they are shaped to use up every inch of space.\

Sounds like you are really working this one ! Can't wait to see some more photos.

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Gondor

Not because you asked Captain but because I was due to do so, here are some more pictures for the interior of the nose.

First the panel through which the cameras looked has been cut out and is to be rebuilt in thin plastic card.

Some of the interior frame work that I am building to hold the cameras as well as the refuelling probe on the top of this fuselage area.

Lots of work still to be done. Weapons bays still need to be built and the whole rear of the aircraft too.

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

Gondor

A slight progress to report. Trying to work out measurements from an isometric exploded drawing where half the information required is hidden behind one panel or another is not helpful  :banghead:

I decided that as I am building an F-111B as well and had removed a large section of fuselage from in front of the windscreen that I could use as a replacement panel on nose above the camera bay which would allow me to work on the inside from the outside then simply close up afterwards so here is what I have done

A bit more work on the internal panels

And here is the internal work so far inside the forward fuselage. I have glued the nose on with PVA as it broke away from the rest of the forward fuselage, and the internal bulkhead for the rear of this area has also been added

Still loads to do to the internal area.

It's frustrating, and satisfying as so far I have only made a mess of only one panel which was easy to replace and so far it looks as it it could be right.

Gondor

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

NARSES2

Quote from: Gondor on October 29, 2015, 04:17:07 PM
I decided that as I am building an F-111B as well and had removed a large section of fuselage from in front of the windscreen that I could use as a replacement panel on nose above the camera bay which would allow me to work on the inside from the outside then simply close up afterwards so here is what I have done

I had to read the inside/outside bit a couple of times to get it and then on looking at the picture it was obvious - I'll go and stand in the corner  :banghead:

Great work  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Gondor

Quote from: NARSES2 on October 30, 2015, 07:25:11 AM
Quote from: Gondor on October 29, 2015, 04:17:07 PM

I had to read the inside/outside bit a couple of times to get it and then on looking at the picture it was obvious - I'll go and stand in the corner  :banghead:

Great work  :thumbsup:

Don't worry about it NARSES2 and thanks for the thumbs up

Gondor

Captain Canada

Great idea, and the internal details are really coming along !

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Gondor

Got my donkey in gear late this evening and managed to get a small amount done although I did have three goes at making one piece which I still got wrong  :banghead:

All the made pieces from tonight most of them in place.

Not much difference in this picture other than the fact that I have raised the spine of the equipment bay slightly. It won't be seen but I don't want the bay to be see through.

The new panel which has the refuelling probe opening to be cut into it. It still needs to be shaped fully but I have imparted the rough curvature into the part.

Here you can see part of how I curved the 10thou plastic card into shape. Freshly boiled water was poured over the parts followed by cold water to lock the part into it's new shape.

I do have lots of fun building this even if the progress is small, from not only turning the idea into reality, but also in writing this build thread.

My main problem at the moment other than drive is trying to decide which part to build/detail first as I have to fit it all into one side of the forward fuselage and I don't have all the parts ready to fit it into place yet.

Gondor

DogfighterZen

That's excellent work you're doing!  :bow: :thumbsup:

"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Captain Canada

It sure is. And I'll be saving the boiling water trick for future reference as well.

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

zenrat

Quote from: Captain Canada on November 22, 2015, 06:33:28 AM
It sure is. And I'll be saving the boiling water trick for future reference as well.

Steam usually does the trick.  Jam a kettle switch into the on position and hold the plastic over the spout.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

NARSES2

Quote from: zenrat on November 23, 2015, 12:56:12 AM
Quote from: Captain Canada on November 22, 2015, 06:33:28 AM

Steam usually does the trick.  Jam a kettle switch into the on position and hold the plastic over the spout.

And don't forget to un jam it afterwards - from your H&S rep  :rolleyes:

zenrat

Oh it usually switches off when it boils dry...
;D

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Gondor

The weather has been dry and sort of warm enough for me to get outside and finish using a rattle can of white plastic primer on the majority of the undercarriage parts so by the weekend I should have most of the fuselage assembled.

Gondor

PR19_Kit

Quote from: zenrat on November 25, 2015, 02:02:16 AM
Oh it usually switches off when it boils dry...
;D

Mine doesn't so much 'switch off' as frighten the life out of us by firing the kettle plug out of its socket with considerable force! It makes one hell of a bang, and usually adds more bangs as the ballistic plug then cannons off anything else that's in the area!  :o
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit