Worst resin kits?

Started by seadude, October 18, 2015, 07:53:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seadude

What in your opinion are some of the worst resin kits that you have bought, worked on, or have heard/seen? I'm just curious.
Modeling isn't just about how good the gluing or painting, etc. looks. It's also about how creative and imaginative you can be with a subject.
My modeling philosophy is: Don't build what everyone else has done. Build instead what nobody has seen or done before.

Tophe

If you see something you don't like, it is better to say "personnally, I don't like it" rather than "objectively, this is the worst in the whole World".
This way I disagreed with other ones hating some kits that I adored. I think different opinions are possible.
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

Rick Lowe

But he was asking for personal opinions...
I realize something I have real issues with may have been someone else's favourite, and vice versa.

If nothing else, maybe there can be some hints'n'tips going back and forth for making life easier when wrestling with some of these beasts?

Just my thoughts.

Cheers

zenrat

Two cars spring to mind.  Both 1/25

R&R '49 Ford Woody Wagon which had detail so soft it was hard to tell the structural wood from the panelling and which had more bubbles than an Aero.
Cavalier Mad Max Interceptor which had a seriously warped chassis due to how it had been packed and which looked slightly wrong (I could never put my finger on what was wrong but it just didn't look right).

Also a Detroit Diesel truck engine which had strange lumpy sections where the moulds appeared to be damaged.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Mossie

I wasn't very happy with my Early War Minatures Mark VII tank Mark IX supply carrier.  They are large nearly one piece castings with a few extra pieces.  I haven't checked accuracy (which I've read is not great), but they're not well cast and the body angles are not square.

To be fair, they are intended as wargame pieces and seem to be well received by that crowd.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

The Wooksta!

Anything by Unicraft or Final Touch/Kitbits.

The former has a massive range of very unusual subjects but the casting is absolutely vile.  The resin is brittle, full of air bubbles and flash.  Most parts themselves are badly cast lumps which require serious work to get them to be anything near useable.  Quality control is none existent - I do my own moulding and casting and I've thrown away better casting than Unicraft are charging money for.  All at Czechmaster prices for a product that makes Merlin kits look like Tamigawa by comparision. 

Really, it's better off scratchbuilding, because with one of those kits, you have to do much of it anyway and if you do it yourself it'll be cheaper and certainly more satisfying.  Avoid them like the plague!
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

NARSES2

I won't go so far as Lee, but yes the worst resin kit I've built was a Unicraft one.

I still built it however and yes, strangely I enjoyed it  :blink: If I'm in the mood I will build them as they do some subjects that are just  :wub: but I just do a little bit at a time and work on mainstream kits at the same time.

Strangely I've got annoyed with a couple of the more recent CMR kits. Superb bits of resin certainly but they can get far to fussy and fiddly and some of the parts are TINY ! Great kits, but enjoyable ? I prefer their early stuff to be honest. Very few parts nice and easy builds.

So for the best I've built ? Some of the earlier CMR and most (if not all) the Planet kits I've built
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Librarian

I've used good quality resin for parts/conversions over the years but never a complete kit, except once. A lot of money and what arrived in the post was an air bubble loosely held together with strands of resin. Wish I could remember what it was and who made it but it put me off for years. I'm sorely tempted now, with accumulated age and experience, to attempt Planet Models 1/48 Welkin :wub:.

JayBee

The worst I have ever had was a Star Models TSR-2.
The fuselage was, vertically, so banana shaped it was impossible to do anything with it.
It got binned.  :banghead:
Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!

JasonW

I've been working on a Unicraft kit for a couple of months now. The casting is horrid. Detail is almost as bad.

That said, where else can you find a kit of the nSupermarine TOR.4040? Really great subject matter but the kits are a real bear to build.
It takes only one drink to get me drunk. The trouble is, I can't remember if it's the thirteenth or the fourteenth.

- George Burns

Martin H

you can always try what I did once. Cleaned up the parts for one of Unicrafts conversions then recast it in decent resin. I was sorely tempted to send a copy to Igor with a note saying "this is how it should be done"
I always hope for the best.
Unfortunately,
experience has taught me to expect the worst.

Size (of the stash) matters.

IPMS (UK) What if? SIG Leader.
IPMS (UK) Project Cancelled SIG Member.

Gondor

Quote from: Martin H on October 25, 2015, 04:57:39 AM
you can always try what I did once. Cleaned up the parts for one of Unicrafts conversions then recast it in decent resin. I was sorely tempted to send a copy to Igor with a note saying "this is how it should be done"

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:  :wacko: ;D

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

Steel Penguin

ill whack in some of the games workshop "finecast"  kits / figures  some of the early ones seemed to be cast off the same moulds as the metals were, the details were vague,  missing, slipped, stepped and horrible, some of the initial pure finecast ones were a set of sprue with a figure on the gates and a complete web of flash, which was a nightmare to try to clean as it feathered,  I got a mounted Knight kit ( bretonian green knight)  and it took 4 or 5 different boxes to get 1 useable kit  when I took it back due to the miscast parts...  Now the GW staff who sorted it out were beyond  the call on it,  as in if the last one had been bad the manager was promising to go home and get his own, but its the fact that they managed to get past QC.
the things you learn, give your mind the wings to fly, and the chains to hold yourself steady
take off and nuke the site form orbit, nope, time for the real thing, CAM and gridfire, call special circumstances. 
wow, its like freefalling into the Geofront
Not a member of the Hufflepuff conspiracy!

zenrat

You really think they had any QC worthy of the name?
Doesn't sound like it.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Bungle

Just to add my two-pennies-worth into the Unicraft debate with patience they are workable see the three examples below. Yes the detail is not existent and you have to have a good imagination to fill some of the gaps but like the early vacuforms they can be made up ok. My issue is that I have discovered my 'Messerchmitt me-110' twin engined 109 advertised as 1/72 scale is obviously not. It's obviously an upscaled 109 fuselage to fit 110 wings and visually it just doesn't work. At £32.50 it turned out an ex[pensive mistake on my part and it is that kind of thing that p*** me off more. (Like opening a large model box with a fantastic picture only to find the same 1970's kit re-popped without any of the glamourous add-ons from the picture and a three quarters empty box). Rant over.

"A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five." - Julius Henry Marx (Groucho)