1/72 Armstrong Whitworth A.W. 49 Archer

Started by The Big Gimper, October 21, 2015, 02:47:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Big Gimper

With the A.W. engineers over joyed with the success of their A.W. 45 Arcturus, they decided via the Guinness mental lubrication methodology that bigger was still better.

This a Tempest V rescue. The radiator has been moved to the wings. An oil cooler will be installed under the chin (this is the hole you see). Wings are of course are from a Ta-152.  Right wing is done. left will be done tonight. Small vertical stabs were added to the horizontal stabs.  
Work In Progress ::

Lots of stuff

PR19_Kit

Needs longer wings............  ;D :lol:

I'm secretly pleased my doctrine is spreading amongst the WhiffWorld.  :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

zenrat

As one already indoctrinated, i'm suspecting some kind of subliminal brain washing signal emanating from the signature...

This is looking very promising BG.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Dizzyfugu

Nice!  :thumbsup:

I have also considered a high altitude Tempest, but not as radical as this one (since I already have a similarly converted Mustang in the collection), rather something like the Spitfire Mk.VI with extended/pointed wing tips.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: zenrat on October 21, 2015, 09:23:44 PM

As one already indoctrinated, i'm suspecting some kind of subliminal brain washing signal emanating from the signature...

Curses, I've been rumbled.....  ;D :lol: ;)
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

The Big Gimper

Quote from: PR19_Kit on October 22, 2015, 12:57:43 AM
Quote from: zenrat on October 21, 2015, 09:23:44 PM

Curses, I've been rumbled.....  ;D :lol: ;)

It's your charisma Kit. You are the Rev Sun Myung Moon of styrene. But I am a "Wingie", not a "Moonie".

Meanings include: "Any blind, unthinking, unquestioning follower of a philosophy" and "A person who shows exceptional enthusiasm for a cause or organization, a zealot."

Yup, that is me.

Lots of stuff

The Big Gimper

I'm calling this build done.

The Irish always have wide open arms to welcomes tourists. At least those with passports and Visas. However if you tried to enter Irish airspace without a flight plan or take a short cut across the emerald isle way up high, you were sure to be greeted by a IAC Armstrong Whitworth A.W. 49 Archer.

The tri-colour tail came about as a result of fundamental goof on my part. I used an acrylic primer which of course fractured when hit with lacquer. Being silver, there was no way I could it down to get a smooth finish. So I replicated the underwing markings. The white stripes are decals. Makes life much easier. The red wing span wide stripes were also on the Seafire.

Bill of Materials;

Academy Tempest V. This was a rescue.
Wing extension from a Aoshima Ta-152
Plastic card for the vertical stabs
Spitfire Radiators and oil cooler from the spares box
Landing Gear from a Typhoon 1b. Tempest LG is way to weak.
Main colour from a Tamiya Spray Bomb
1947 Seafire MK.III Decals. Carpena Exotic Spitfire sheet 72.17
White stripe decals

Lots of stuff

PR19_Kit

BRILLIANT stuff!  :thumbsup: :bow:

Actually you don't need a passport to enter Eire, at least I don't anyway. Mrs_PR19 and I travelled there using our bus passes as IDs once.  ;D

Regards
Kit

sandiego89

Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

JayBee

Brilliant.  :wub:

Transiting Irish airspace still needs special permission if you are certain categories of military flights. Like no ofensive munitions etc.
Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!

The Rat

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

Tophe

Congratulations! :thumbsup: (both to the designer and to the manufacturing factory...) ;)
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

Glenn Gilbertson

Captain Canada

Love the look of this one ! Great additions to add to the realism. I thought surely the prop was from another scale, as it looks huge as well ! Love the colours on her too.

:tornado: :thumbsup: :wub:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

zenrat

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..