Resin for casting.......

Started by Army of One, October 24, 2015, 01:15:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Army of One

Dear all.....i am a complete novice at casting. I have been looking for resin to use. My local Hobbycraft doesn't stock it any more. They do the moulding stuff still. I tried a search on the site but came up with old info or suppliers from abroad. Is there any regular shop/store in town that may stock it. I've been to B&Q and Homebase. Or can any of the casters suggest something to use......many thanks for any help.   
I have checked google and found stuff but the postage wad the same as the price of the product........just over £8 for the resin and £7.99 postage......
BODY,BODY....HEAD..!!!!

IF YER HIT, YER DEAD!!!!

Army of One

I should have added products from the UK please......
BODY,BODY....HEAD..!!!!

IF YER HIT, YER DEAD!!!!

The Wooksta!

You live in London?  Try Alex Tiranti - sure they're on your manor, guv!

http://www.tiranti.co.uk/

Near to Euston, no less!

"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

Rick Lowe

Quote from: The Wooksta! on October 24, 2015, 06:20:12 PM
You live in London?  Try Alex Tiranti - sure they're on your manor, guv!

Ere, Leave it Aht!  ;D

Army of One

Mr Creak........many thanks........

Chaps......get yer pants on.....yer knicked......and cheers Lee.....should be able to get there Mon or Tue...
BODY,BODY....HEAD..!!!!

IF YER HIT, YER DEAD!!!!

Martin H

Go with Lee's Alec Tiranti suggestion. Ive been using them for years. using both the shop in London and mail order.

The G31 resin they do isn't the cheapest they sell but Ive found its a bit better on cast quality. for starters buy a 1kg pack. Its a straight 1 to 1 mix so no need for complex formulas. Most of the resins Tirant's sell are 1 to 1 ratios so easy to work with. They also sell the RTV, and it will work out better value than the Hobbycraft stuff. for most molds the T21 RTV is more than adequate. Buy an extra can of the catalyst thou. as they only supply just barely enough with the rubber to cure the can contents.  

I always hope for the best.
Unfortunately,
experience has taught me to expect the worst.

Size (of the stash) matters.

IPMS (UK) What if? SIG Leader.
IPMS (UK) Project Cancelled SIG Member.

Army of One

OGL.......thanks for that......they will obviously sell a release agent........or would a light dusting of talc work....?
BODY,BODY....HEAD..!!!!

IF YER HIT, YER DEAD!!!!

NARSES2

We need to know what this resin is needed for ?  :wacko:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

The Wooksta!

No need for release agent, parts should just pop out.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

Army of One

Lee......cheers.......
Chris......wanna have a go at making parts so that i don't have to rob good kits for a part or two......gonna start simple and experiment.....wanna do some ordanance as well....
BODY,BODY....HEAD..!!!!

IF YER HIT, YER DEAD!!!!

Martin H

forgot to say the following.

Be warned resin casting can be bloody messy! also invest in a large box of disposable medical gloves.(the same sort the plods use for stop and search would do lol)
I always hope for the best.
Unfortunately,
experience has taught me to expect the worst.

Size (of the stash) matters.

IPMS (UK) What if? SIG Leader.
IPMS (UK) Project Cancelled SIG Member.

Steel Penguin

or if its something that's solid and you want to try, use plaster of paris, then  paint over it with liquid poly with extra poly dissolved in it, the poly will solidify on the surface giving a solid plastic outer, ( only mentioning it if you want to hurry, or have the plaster handy)  ;D
the things you learn, give your mind the wings to fly, and the chains to hold yourself steady
take off and nuke the site form orbit, nope, time for the real thing, CAM and gridfire, call special circumstances. 
wow, its like freefalling into the Geofront
Not a member of the Hufflepuff conspiracy!

Army of One

Steel Penguin......something to remember...... :thumbsup:
OGL......got plenty of those at home......cheers
BODY,BODY....HEAD..!!!!

IF YER HIT, YER DEAD!!!!

Steel Penguin

ive used it to make fuel tanks for a flamethrower apc  (  I made a set of Warrior alikes to use in warhammer40000 from card, and to make a heel hound I took a latex mould of a fuel tank from a 1:35 HEMMIT and used that, cast in plaster,  plastic paint, and it look more than adequate from 3` on a wargames table) 
it can also make things like cupolas, the latex and plaster take the detail well and the poly stops them being fragile when assembling, and also gives you the ability to attach poly parts to it with normal poly cement
the things you learn, give your mind the wings to fly, and the chains to hold yourself steady
take off and nuke the site form orbit, nope, time for the real thing, CAM and gridfire, call special circumstances. 
wow, its like freefalling into the Geofront
Not a member of the Hufflepuff conspiracy!