Markings for hypersonic stealth aircraft? Yes or No?

Started by seadude, October 24, 2015, 05:00:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seadude

Most stealth aircraft tend to have some markings (Unit, National Insignia, Tail code, etc., etc.) on them for identification, maintenance, or other purposes. But what about aircraft flying at Mach 3 or above, and 75,000 feet and above? Does it even make sense to put markings on hypersonic aircraft traveling that fast? At such high speeds, most markings might tend to "burn off". No sense in incurring higher maintenance costs to keep applying such markings, right?
Take for example the supposed Aurora hypersonic spyplane which may or may not exist and is supposed to fly at around Mach 6. Would any type of markings really be necessary for this craft? Ask yourself this: If you're on a secret high speed and high flying mission over enemy territory, you sure as hell don't want the enemy seeing any national insignia on your craft and deducing where it came from.
Modeling isn't just about how good the gluing or painting, etc. looks. It's also about how creative and imaginative you can be with a subject.
My modeling philosophy is: Don't build what everyone else has done. Build instead what nobody has seen or done before.

Mr.Creak

Wouldn't matter what markings it had: there's an old, possibly apocryphal, story about the result of an SR-71 overflight of Israel during one of their wars.
They complained through diplomatic channels to the USA and when asked "What makes you think it was us?" replied ""Well, given the speed and altitude from the radar track we looked in Janes AWA and the only thing that matched was the SR71. And you're the only people that fly them. Stop it".
What if... I had a brain?

Rick Lowe

Quote from: Mr.Creak on October 24, 2015, 05:17:49 PM
Wouldn't matter what markings it had: there's an old, possibly apocryphal, story about the result of an SR-71 overflight of Israel during one of their wars.
They complained through diplomatic channels to the USA and when asked "What makes you think it was us?" replied ""Well, given the speed and altitude from the radar track we looked in Janes AWA and the only thing that matched was the SR71. And you're the only people that fly them. Stop it".

LOL!

I sometimes wonder whether the Intelligence Services really need people to go and work 'Behind the Lines', when with a good library and search engine they could probably get more information and a better picture with just a few people hovering over keyboards...  :blink:

Allan

at our hobby club meeting one night there was a speaker from the US Air Force who had flown stealth aircraft and he made the point that hadn't occurred to me before and it is that these stealth aircraft fly only at night because naturally even a stealth aircraft would be seen during the day

RAFF-35

You make a very good point Seadude, but the Sr-71 had markings, and that's the fastest stealth aircraft that we know of. And the fastest plane we know of, the X-15, had NASA slapped all over it  :lol:
Don't let ageing get you down, it's too hard to get back up

perttime

Markings might be irrelevant while it is flying fast. They could make it faster to identify the wreckage once it is shot down or crashed...
I seem to recall there are some international norms about military aircraft markings???

zenrat

Aurora, if it exists, would need markings so it wasn't shot down when intercepted by the mach 8 interceptors we don't even suspect exist.

I may have said too much...

Quote from: Allan on October 24, 2015, 10:20:24 PM
at our hobby club meeting one night there was a speaker from the US Air Force who had flown stealth aircraft and he made the point that hadn't occurred to me before and it is that these stealth aircraft fly only at night because naturally even a stealth aircraft would be seen during the day

That's what they want you to think.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

sandiego89

I vote yes, small and not flashy, but yes.  Just a US roundel in boring gray or red, a spurious serial number and red warning labels (ramps, ejection seat triangles, etc).  I seem to recall red has better heat properties. 

Technically nationality markings are required by international treaty for a military aircraft, yes I know this is a spy plane....
Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

Captain Canada

I'd say yes to all, national, unit, servicing....adds interest and I'm sure it would wear them in real life.

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Rick Lowe

I would thing Esprit de Corps or Unit Pride would ensure some sort of markings were in evidence.

jcf

No such thing as hypersonic stealth, airframe heating from such speeds creates a IR signature
that makes the lower speed LO features moot.

Seriously, do you guys not think through poo-poo before you post?

zenrat

Quote from: joncarrfarrelly on October 25, 2015, 11:00:43 PM
...Seriously, do you guys not think through poo-poo before you post?

Not often, no.  When i'm on a roll it just pours out of my fingers onto the screen.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

PR19_Kit

No such thing as hypersonic stealth, airframe heating from such speeds creates a IR signature

But the two capabilities can, and were, combined in one airframe, the SR-71 being the case in point.

Presumably Kelly Johnson designed the different aspects for the different speed regimes.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

jcf

Quote from: PR19_Kit on October 26, 2015, 02:53:29 AM

But the two capabilities can, and were, combined in one airframe, the SR-71 being the case in point.

Presumably Kelly Johnson designed the different aspects for the different speed regimes.

The SR-71 is not and never was a hypersonic aircraft.

PR19_Kit

I's the nearest thing there is to one....................
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit