Folland Gnat 34SQN RAAF CAS mount

Started by Aussie747, October 26, 2015, 09:15:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aussie747

The Folland Gnat was ordered by the RAAF in August 1965 after it was decided there was a need for high-performance jet training to prepare pilots for the EE Lightning then entering service. This was part of a trend that developed in the 50s and 60s to implement an "all-through" jet training syllabus, with pilots going from ab initio to advanced training on jet aircraft.

Of a total of 97 Gnats operated by the RAAF, the first 20 were assembled in Australia from UK production, with the remainder produced by the Commonwealth Aircraft Corporation (CAC) and Hawker de Havilland with an increasing level of local components. By aircraft A7-031, production aircraft contained approximately 85% local content. In addition, CAC also built the Gnat's Bristol Siddely Orpheus turbojet engine under licence. The Gnat's main operator was No 2 Flying Training School (No 2 FTS), operating the type from 1970 until the final course on the type in 1991. In addition, the Gnat was operated by the Central Flying School (CFS) to train RAAF flying instructors and also in the lead-in fighter role by No 2 Operational Conversion Unit, No 5 Operational Training Unit, and Nos 25, 76, 77 and 79 Squadrons.

and with friend

Ray
Canberra
*-*-*-*-*-*-

In work:
1/72 C-65J
1/72 P-7B
1/144 C-17T

The Rat

Looks like she was made to wear that scheme. Well done!  :thumbsup:
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

zenrat

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Mossie

I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Dizzyfugu

Quote from: The Rat on October 26, 2015, 09:24:42 PM
Looks like she was made to wear that scheme. Well done!  :thumbsup:

Second that. VERY pretty!  :wub:

Weaver

"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Captain Canada

Gorgeous. She sure does look good in that scheme, probably the best I've ever seen ! Love the look. And great job on such a wee aeroplane !

:cheers: :wub: :tornado:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Tophe

Marvelous, at the glory of the Kangaroo roundel! :thumbsup:
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

nighthunter

Makes me want to make an IAC version, lol!
"Mind that bus." "What bus?" *SPLAT!*

PR19_Kit

That works VERY well, and the stand is a work of art in itself.  :thumbsup:  :bow:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Aussie747

Thanks everyone, it was a quick build. Though I found a few gotchas with the kit.
Ray
Canberra
*-*-*-*-*-*-

In work:
1/72 C-65J
1/72 P-7B
1/144 C-17T

Glenn Gilbertson

comrade harps

Whatever.

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.