Luftwaffe Avia B.35

Started by Nick, November 01, 2015, 12:46:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nick

I suppose I should announce my entry which hopefully will make an appearance at Telford.  :mellow:

In 1938 the Czech aviation firm Avia were working on the B.35 monoplane fighter developed from their biplane B.534. It was rather basic for the time having fixed undercarriage and spats and only one machine gun in the nose. Flew in 1939 and abandoned after the German invaasion.

My thinking is that Avia produce a squadron or two and these are sent to France for use by the Luftwaffe. They don't last long against the Hurricanes....

The kit is the old and basic Kopro kit which looks the right shape. Only 25 parts in the box including the stand!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avia_B.35
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avia_B-135   Anybody know what the differences were?

JasonW

B.135 was basically the B.35 with retractable landing gear. Other minor differences included a revised armament B.135 had engine mounted cannon and two machine guns) and more powerful engine. There was also a slightly different prop and the wing leading edge of the 135 was straight as opposed to the slight curve of the B.35.

The B.35 was test flown by the Czechs just before the Germans invaded. The Luftwaffe test flew the B.35 as well but had no further interest once they completed their testing. The Bulgarians flew a squadrons worth of B.135's and used them for homeland defence. I believe they were able to shoot down a US bomber during one of their missions over Bulgaria.
It takes only one drink to get me drunk. The trouble is, I can't remember if it's the thirteenth or the fourteenth.

- George Burns

dogsbody

A couple drawings from this book:

Chris
"What young man could possibly be bored
with a uniform to wear,
a fast aeroplane to fly,
and something to shoot at?"

JasonW

I have that book, priceless info on this little known fighter. Also have their book on the B.534 fighter. Lots of great info, pictures and drawings from Czech archives.

The B.35/135 book is the only book I've been able to find on the aircraft. Not a lot of English language books out there on Czech aircraft.
It takes only one drink to get me drunk. The trouble is, I can't remember if it's the thirteenth or the fourteenth.

- George Burns

TallEng

If you close your eyes and squint a bit :unsure:
Doesn't that just shout "the one before the Spitfire"?
Substitute the engine with say a Kestrel, make the fin
A bit more 'Spitfire' like and et voila......

Regards
Keith
The British have raised their security level from "Miffed" to "Peeved". Soon though, security levels may be raised yet again to "Irritated" or even "A Bit Cross". Londoners have not been "A Bit Cross" since the Blitz in 1940 when tea supplies ran out for three weeks

PR19_Kit

Quote from: TallEng on November 02, 2015, 12:51:31 PM
......., make the fin
A bit more 'Spitfire' like and et voila.....

As it is it looks very 'Hurricane' like.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

The Wooksta!

I always fancied grafting a Merlin onto one.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

kitbasher

Quote from: PR19_Kit on November 02, 2015, 02:21:30 PM
Quote from: TallEng on November 02, 2015, 12:51:31 PM
......., make the fin
A bit more 'Spitfire' like and et voila.....

As it is it looks very 'Hurricane' like.

A real life whif Spitfire + Hurricane mashup to me. Seen the design before and thought the wing plan was similar to the Spit's, but never twigged the Hurrican factor until now.  It's the rear fuselage and fin/rudder that does it.
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

JasonW

As far as the B.35, the KP kit isn't too bad. Decent really when considering the age of the molds. If you're in the market for a B.135 kit Nick there is a 1/72 injection kit available from RS Models which is pretty good. One boxing has Bulgarian and another has Czech whiff markings for an operational aircraft in 1940.

- George Burns

Captain Canada

That is going to be a nice one Nick ! And thanks for the pics Chris, that is an interesting looking aero and one I basically knew nowt about ! Defo has potential.

:thumbsup:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Army of One

Side reminds me slightly of a Lagg 3 tail n front part a slightly squashed Typhoon......
BODY,BODY....HEAD..!!!!

IF YER HIT, YER DEAD!!!!

NARSES2

Quote from: JasonW on November 03, 2015, 04:53:48 AM
As far as the B.35, the KP kit isn't too bad. Decent really when considering the age of the molds. If you're in the market for a B.135 kit Nick there is a 1/72 injection kit available from RS Models which is pretty good. One boxing has Bulgarian and another has Czech whiff markings for an operational aircraft in 1940.

I've built the RS kit and can vouch for it  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

nighthunter

So, in the spirit of the Build, I created the "Avro Swallow Mk. I/Ia" from the B-135:

"Mind that bus." "What bus?" *SPLAT!*

Dizzyfugu

Has potential. And I have a KP B.35 left, as well as an early Hurricane Merlin. Maybe that becomes #11 for the GB, I like the sleek lines of the Czech aircraft, it's really pretty.  :wub:

PR19_Kit

That looks like someone at an Aircraft Repair Depot grafted a Hurricane tail onto a Spitfire front.  ;D :lol:

But I like it a lot.  :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit