The wages of PAX are figures!

Started by puddingwrestler, November 01, 2015, 01:16:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

puddingwrestler

Greetings oh speculatively modeling masses! I have spent the last two days at yonder PAXAus as a Table Top Paint and Take volunteer and assistant painting coach. There I picked up some painting tips and took them with me in a mad dash for painting glory by entering the Speed Painting contest (TBH, this was just to kill time. My shift ended at 1400, but I had to wait for 1800 to help pack up. The Table Top area held not enough diversions for four hours, and I get dizzy in the video gaming hall, so entering speed paint gave me something to do.)
The rules of speed painting are simple: Each participant is dealt an identical miniature (in this case, a Reaper Bones cowgirl - the event was sponsored by Reaper) and given access to the exact same set of paints. A single fresh detail brush is provided and unlimited access to slighlty used drybrushes given. There is exactly 60 of your foolish earthling minutes provided to paint. There is no rule six, nor is there need for rules six.
Deciding on a whim, a mere pecadillo if you will (but you won't, cause I don't think the word works like that), I decided to try some of the new ideas I had picked up instead of my usual hyperspeed painting. This then is the result of my madness:

My duster coat was enough to get the figure shortlisted, but I was not able to finish the hair on time, and had trouble with the face's lack fo features. I considered alien skin tone since she didn't look very human... I'm pretty sure there was no nose on mine...

Having an hour left before the kicking out time advertised, I then grabbed a figure and sat down in the Paint and Take to try out some ideas, and lay claim to the greatest dwarf model known to man (because his shield really has a beer stein as it's heraldry!). I did not finish him either, but the beard and the green armour areas are complete.

The cloak was not quite ready when I highlighted it, so it's a bit muddy. The gold needs highlighting and detaling up, while I have not painted any of the other metallic bits.

You may also find my last month's output of interest.
There are no good kits, bad kits or grail kits, just kitbash fodder.

Weaver

I always thought a pecadillo was a spotty, heavily armoured bird that eats termites out of of tree trunks using a sharp beak and a long tongue, which would explain why it was rare, since termites don't live in tree trunks. However I think a lot of things...

Congratulations on your painterly endeavours. I doubt whether any attempt I made at those figures would look as good after four weeks, let alone four hours.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

puddingwrestler

These would look a lot better after four hours. They had one hour each.

Weaver

Quote from: puddingwrestler on November 01, 2015, 04:30:08 PM
These would look a lot better after four hours. They had one hour each.

Then they're four times as impressive. ;D
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

zenrat

Hmmmm, I had foolishly thought PAX was just video games.  I should make an effort to visit next time.

Figures look very good despite your modest protestations.

BTW H you are thinking of the Greater Peccadillo.  The Northern Hemisphere species.
The Mere Peccadillo is the amphibious Southern subtype indigenous to Melbourne's Albert Park Lake, Bacchus Marsh and the Korumburra Desalination Plant.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

puddingwrestler

Quote from: zenrat on November 02, 2015, 03:18:06 AM
Hmmmm, I had foolishly thought PAX was just video games.  I should make an effort to visit next time.

Figures look very good despite your modest protestations.

BTW H you are thinking of the Greater Peccadillo.  The Northern Hemisphere species.
The Mere Peccadillo is the amphibious Southern subtype indigenous to Melbourne's Albert Park Lake, Bacchus Marsh and the Korumburra Desalination Plant.

They sometimes turn up in the Leongatha reclamation pool too, having hitched lifts on the utes of workmen who are employed by the gvernment to move the Desal plant from Wonthaggi to Korumburra in an attempt to make it look like the damn thing actually has some sort of purpose.

zenrat

Oops :unsure:
Once you get over there <waves hand airily in general direction of Gippsland> it's all a blur to me.
Some nice motorbiking roads though.

Isn't its purpose to boost the Victorian Table Salt industry?
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..