Messerschmitt bf 110 Tri-motor

Started by Bungle, November 10, 2015, 03:29:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bungle

So I've returned from my holiday and fortunately missed some of the banter that's been going on. I mean Tuna Fish ? really ?  Can't you guys take this serious? There's no plaice for that kind of comment.... anyway still struggling to come up with a backstory that doesn't sound like a fish out of water.  Here's the kit I'm using...

and as you can see  by the instructions the nose is a separate component which, hopefully, I can utilize with the resin engine I have

I also have some spare parts from a couple of A Model 109E's ... I'm thinking twin cannons on each wing ?

"A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five." - Julius Henry Marx (Groucho)

Bungle

This is my first Eduard kit and I'm quite impressed ! Lots of detail two decal sheets, a PE fret, painted and canopy masked which I've never used before. Exceptional... so lets start with the cockpit.....

Blimey the last 110 I built was the Airfix way back when there was no internet, in fact no PC's or laptop, or any cockpit detail.

Instrument panel.....

And radio....

All fits together nicely ....

I may enjoy this build  ;D
"A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five." - Julius Henry Marx (Groucho)

NARSES2

It is a lovely kit overall but I'll be interested how you get on with the nose cone and armament. I had some fun getting mine sorted. May (probably was) just have been me but I have read a few things as well
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Bungle

Quote from: NARSES2 on November 24, 2015, 06:31:46 AM
It is a lovely kit overall but I'll be interested how you get on with the nose cone and armament.

I'm putting the kit nose cone aside so first thing is to try and saw the pouring slug off the new nose as straight as possible...

First thing I notice is that the oil filter is in place on the port side. That will have to come off. Now comes the swearing.... I may have cut off too much. What I thought was the slug may have been actually part of the cowling. Oh well too late now I'll glue it on anyway. ;D

Fairly square cut. So a little sanding and then when I attach it there's just a small gap to be filled with plastic card.

Ok so the engine is perfect height but it is a shade too thin, probably  1mm either side. I reckon I can smooth that in with a little putty, a little sanding and a great deal of foul language.

Doesn't show a lot of detail but that's more to do with the camera than the casting. I'll try to get a better, flash-free picture before I sand all the detail off by mistake !

Tophe

Quote from: Bungle on November 24, 2015, 08:12:43 AM
so the engine is perfect height
And your model building seems perfect as well!
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

JayBee

You know Bungle, I wouldn't carp about what people are saying, this does look good.
Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!

PR19_Kit

Ok so the engine is perfect height but it is a shade too thin, probably  1mm either side. I reckon I can smooth that in with a little putty, a little sanding and a great deal of foul language.

I noticed when I was doing the plan that the centre engine is notably wider than the fuselage, so maybe a sliver of styrene on either side before the inevitable PSR may work?
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

Quote from: NARSES2 on November 24, 2015, 06:31:46 AM
It is a lovely kit overall but I'll be interested how you get on with the nose cone and armament.

I'm putting the kit nose cone aside so first thing is to try and saw the pouring slug off the new nose as straight as possible...

I should have worked that out....the clues in the word Trimotor Edwards  :banghead: Apologies for being thick.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Bungle

Right puttying and sanding done. Now for a quick spray of white primer before dipping it into a bowl of custard.

You can see a little of the detail here . Then as I say a quick dip into custard and voila !

Pretty !

Now in all my 61 years I have never used a canopy mask. A traditionalist, using painted masking tape has always been my favoured route but since the kit came with a mask I thought it better I use it...

I'm surprisingly pleased. a lot of work and still the paint to apply but so far so good. Canopy attached to the fuselage after adding the rear gun.

Next it's on with it's rear flippers and a quick RLM65 coating on the under surfaces,

(and before you ask, yes I'm using yellow masking tape )

Needs a second coat which will be done tonight.

Bungle

With work getting the way (new product roll out, staff leaving and building work meaning I have to vacate my comfortable office) and the log in issues with the site means I haven't had much of a chance to post updates. Work has continued but lack of concentration has meant mistakes.  :banghead:

So last night I sat down to view the photo's I'd taken through the recent build process. 30 pictures taken and only a handful usable ! Camera has autofocus but for some reason a hell of a lot of them are blurred.

Anyway here's what I have sorry there are some big gaps.

First off fuselage and wings get a coat of RLM65 underneath then it's taped off for an upper surfaces RLM02

Next it's a splinter pattern in RLM71 :drink:

Now at this point something definitely went blurry. Could be  :cheers: or  :wub: but more likely  :blink:  because when I glued the wings to the fuselage a/ the camera decided that it wasn't going to play ball and b/ those colours didn't look right. I made the assumption it was the light I was working by and it would have to wait until daylight (i.e. a weekend) to clarify.

The weekend came and I have no idea what colour I used but it wasn't RLM71 - far too dark !

Bungle

So this is where everything actually falls apart .... trust me I compared the 110 against some of my bf109s colour definitely wrong. I even took a photograph to prove it but it's worse than wearing tights over your head on a foggy day with your eyes shut.

And so I set about re-painting and all those photos are lost until I come to the final glueing all the bits and bumps on ... so sorry missing a part of the work-in-progress but then thankfully you are not bored to tears !

First picture in natural light on Sunday evening.

and the second when I got the flash to work (dear Santa I have been good, please could you get me a new camera this year [and not bl00dy socks again !])

Going to dressing her in finery during the evenings and (hopefully) getting a presentable 'finished' picture or two.

Tophe

[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

dumaniac

now if you painted all three cowlings in yellow - that would make a statement in the sky

just a suggestion

PR19_Kit

Quote from: dumaniac on December 16, 2015, 12:51:04 AM
now if you painted all three cowlings in yellow - that would make a statement in the sky

just a suggestion

It might also stick out like a sore thumb too............  ;D :lol:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Bungle

Quote from: dumaniac on December 16, 2015, 12:51:04 AM

just a suggestion

That was my original intention but I decided too much 'bling' was a bad thing.