Armstrong Whitworth Lamington

Started by zenrat, November 12, 2015, 12:54:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zenrat

The Lamington.  Not the delicious coconut dusted cube of cakey goodness but the Armstrong Whitworth high altitude photo reconnaissance aircraft.

I have just fitted the Napier Cutlass Inverted Vee 12 opposed cylinder two stroke heavy oil engine.  The turbo chargers will be installed behind the engine.

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

PR19_Kit

If that's meant to fly at high altitude it's going to need MUCH longer wings!!!
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

perttime

Interesting...
I was thinking that the front end looks long and heavy  :unsure:

Tophe

Interesting... what is/are the basis kit(s) you used?
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

zenrat

Quote from: PR19_Kit on November 12, 2015, 07:42:33 AM

So you don't think they are long enough as they are?
Lucky then I have some nice long wings to add which will increase the span by approx 50%.

Tophe - the fuselage is an ARK models Dewoitine D520.  It's repopped from Frog moulds and somehow in the process the underside centre section appears to have shrunk slightly because there is a significant gap at the front (assuming it fitted when Frog were making them which might be foolish).  The engine is from an Academy Ju-87G.  In reality the Napier Cutlass, being a downsized Napier Culverin (which was itself a license built Junkers Jumo 204) was a twin crank, six cylinder, 12 piston inline engine which existed in prototype form only.  Of course in Whiff world it can be whatever I want it to be and so becomes a 3 crank, 12 cylinder, 24 piston Vee engine.  I would have made it a deltic but the cowling isn't wide enough across the base.

Pertime - I made it long at the front 1) to allow room for turbos in the fuselage behind the engine and 2) to exaggerate the rearward set cockpit design.  Also, the wings I will be attaching have a greater root chord than standard and I will be lining up the trailing edges.

Fred

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: zenrat on November 13, 2015, 12:23:04 AM
Quote from: PR19_Kit on November 12, 2015, 07:42:33 AM

So you don't think they are long enough as they are?
Lucky then I have some nice long wings to add which will increase the span by approx 50%.

As they are in the pic I think the wing loading would be a tad high.  ;D

Even a 50% increase won't help too much, but maybe you meant a 50% increase on the Dw 520's standard wings? That sounds much more plausible.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

Captain Canada

Love it so far ! At first I thought it was the engine/ nose from a P-6E, but that's not inverted. Also intrigued by the 2-stroke !

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

zenrat

There are more 2 stroke diesels than you'd think.  IIRC the big Detroit Diesel truck engines are 2 strokes.
Fred

PR19_Kit

... and the great majority of US railroad diesels are 2 strokes as well. As EMD exported a bunch of them to the UK, albeit shrunk to fit our small railway, there's a lot over here too.

[A bit later] IIRC opposed piston diesels have to be 2 strokes too, as any valve gear, other than sleeve valves, would be incredibly complex. Which means the Fairbanks-Morse diesels on WWII USN submarines were 2 strokes as well.

Regards
Kit

zenrat

Yes, of course <slaps forehead> i'd forgotten about the valve gear issue.

When you say two stroke normal people tend to think of the small stinky motors in mopeds and whipper snippers.
Fred

Tophe

Quote from: zenrat on November 13, 2015, 12:23:04 AM
Tophe - the fuselage is an ARK models Dewoitine D520.
The engine is from an Academy Ju-87G.
I am ashamed I have not recognized the D520 (which is the local hero in my country), but now that you say it, this is very obvious, thanks! And congratulations again!
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

Rheged

Quote from: zenrat on November 13, 2015, 11:23:12 PM
When you say two stroke normal people tend to think of the small stinky motors in mopeds and whipper snippers.

This particular person thinks of abominable devices for converting fuel into noise......motion is merely a side effect
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Rheged on November 14, 2015, 01:45:50 AM

This particular person thinks of abominable devices for converting fuel into noise......

....................and smoke.

Regards
Kit

zenrat

Quote from: PR19_Kit on November 14, 2015, 02:18:41 AM
Quote from: Rheged on November 14, 2015, 01:45:50 AM

This particular person thinks of abominable devices for converting fuel into noise......

....................and smoke.

I've had a few 2 stroke bikes which fit that description.

This one sounded like a chain saw...

...and this one smoked like a bustard.

This one attracted small children...

...and this one their father (Captain Fat Hamster).

But they were all fun.
Fred

Captain Canada

Long live the 2-stroke ! I'll have to read into more of the big diesels etc.

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?