1/72 RAAF F-104G Starfighter

Started by KiwiZac, November 14, 2015, 10:03:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KiwiZac

Hi all,
I have a lot of spare time at work, and have recently felt the urge to build things out of my comfort zone. So I rifled through the profiles threads and found a Gekko_1 original from ten years ago:

Funnily enough I had that exact squadron marking in my stash! So I then bought an Academy 1/72 Starfighter and:
afc7eb52-0560-444c-992a-40729b1e3fa7_zpsholxhkut_35511966442_o by Zac Yates, on Flickr
aca98a5a-31a4-43e2-a1ab-f3da6c1cbe2f_zpsaijkoreq_35550686501_o by Zac Yates, on Flickr
a6989de8-6cb9-4512-89f2-5479212bcff8_zpsuxjkbd92_34871791753_o by Zac Yates, on Flickr
c98abb32-bfdf-40bb-a46c-a36daf9be827_zpsuvrsbnkk_35511945272_o by Zac Yates, on Flickr

And a final pair of shots showing my two most recent builds - ANZAC fighter allies. They look rather good together, don't you think?
ce76a6ee-f415-43ed-8c38-0381f09e1e21_zpsz5x1pv2b_35511940792_o by Zac Yates, on Flickr
ca97672f-9d23-442e-b896-05187a58f1d9_zpsayshoroa_35680961225_o by Zac Yates, on Flickr

No fancy backstory here, just really liked the look of Mirage IIIO camo and marks on a Starfighter. The decals are the kit's for stencils, Italeri MB326 for roundels and finflash, and spares box roundels to make the blue bigger. The 75Sqn flash was a dry-rub transfer that came from....someone...on this very forum about eight-10yr ago, possibly Tophe. So thank you!

I hope you like it.
Zac in NZ
#avgeek, modelbuilder, photographer, writer. Callsign: "HANDBAG"
https://linktr.ee/zacyates

nönöbär

:thumbsup:
A Starfighter is always good - do not see them here too often :)
Daily updates from my engineer: https://twitter.com/Scratchbr1

--------------------
German Naval History               : www.german-navy.de
Bärenreisen                             : www.barenurlaub.de

NARSES2

That's stunning Zak  :bow:

Is that the kit's canopy ? Doesn't look like a 104's but suits the model
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

VERY smart indeed! Even better looking than your RNZAF Phantom, I think so anyway.  :thumbsup: :bow:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Dizzyfugu

Quote from: NARSES2 on November 15, 2015, 01:42:01 AM
That's stunning Zak  :bow:

It's the Academy Starfighter... (*shudder*).  :rolleyes:

Anyway, very nice whif, the colors suit the F-104 well.  :thumbsup:

KiwiZac

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on November 15, 2015, 09:21:19 AM
Quote from: NARSES2 on November 15, 2015, 01:42:01 AM
It's the Academy Starfighter... (*shudder*).  :rolleyes:
Exactly right! Everything plastic is OOB apart from the wingtip 'winders, they're from my spares box. It's a nice kit that looks like a Starfighter and is cheap and plentiful here...but those gear wells and cockpit!!! Nasty! But I agree about the canopy, to me it looks a lot more fighterish.

Thanks for the kind words, folks! I'm very grateful for all your praise - given I bought this last week and pretty much rushed it through, I'm pleased with how it came out and you're all very kind for saying what you've said.

nönöbär - I'm glad you like it, I have some other ideas involving this kit. I think the LHS still has one in stock...

Kit - but.....the wings are so tiny! How can you like this?!
Zac in NZ

PR19_Kit

Quote from: KiwiZac on November 15, 2015, 12:35:57 PM

Kit - but.....the wings are so tiny! How can you like this?!

I must admit I had to switch off my 'Small Wings Filter' to see the pic, but (apart from the wings....) it looks great.  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Captain Canada

Wow.....that looks great Zac ! Especially the shot of them together.

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

zenrat

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

KiwiZac

Thanks folks for your kind words! I was very pleased at how well they work side by side.

Quote from: PR19_Kit on November 15, 2015, 01:03:10 PM
I must admit I had to switch off my 'Small Wings Filter' to see the pic, but (apart from the wings....) it looks great.  ;D
Then you'll be pleased to know an MPC U-2 is on its way to me!  :thumbsup: Although it won't be whiffed.

I've read elsewhere the Academy -104 is a caricature - I'm no expert but given it was less than $15 and looks like a Starfighter, I like it! But I will have to do something about boxing in the gear wells and redoing/adding to the cockpit next time.

As a teaser for the next few months: this isn't the last of this RAAF scheme you'll be seeing from me. Two other models are to get this treatment, and I'm excited! Just need to get decals.
Zac in NZ