M1 Abrams, All variants: Current and future.

Started by seadude, November 20, 2015, 05:53:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seadude

The M1 Abrams Main Battle Tank has been a staple of the U.S. Army for decades. It has gone through plenty of modifications and variants, and has been exported to lots of foreign countries.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M1_Abrams
But I can't help but wonder if the M1 could still get quite a few variants out of it yet. For example, instead of the U.S. developing a seperate MLRS tracked rocket system, why couldn't a MLRS have been put on an existing M1 chassis? Or how about an air defense M1 variant?
I could think of a couple more potential variants, but that's just for starters. Anybody else have any ideas for M1 variants?
Modeling isn't just about how good the gluing or painting, etc. looks. It's also about how creative and imaginative you can be with a subject.
My modeling philosophy is: Don't build what everyone else has done. Build instead what nobody has seen or done before.

seadude

Modeling isn't just about how good the gluing or painting, etc. looks. It's also about how creative and imaginative you can be with a subject.
My modeling philosophy is: Don't build what everyone else has done. Build instead what nobody has seen or done before.

Mr.Creak

Quote from: seadude on November 20, 2015, 05:53:28 PMFor example, instead of the U.S. developing a seperate MLRS tracked rocket system
They didn't.
The MLRS M993 chassis/ vehicle is a derivative of the M2/ M3 Bradley.

Quotewhy couldn't a MLRS have been put on an existing M1 chassis?
There's no point having an artillery system that's intended to fire from waaay behind the front line being as heavily armoured as that of the M1.
What if... I had a brain?

seadude

Well, I've got a Gepard anti-aircraft tank and I'll probably combine some parts from that onto an M1, but I plan to use four 1/144 (or 1/100) gatling guns from a Gundam robot kit (Shown below). I want to add some sort of missiles or missile system, but I'm not sure what yet.

Dizzyfugu

Then I'd rather use a Tunguska AA turret, because it is more "state of the art" with its combination of guns and missiles? Maybe replace the Russian AAm launch tubes with Sidewinders, as a kind of Chaparral AAM?

Captain Canada

Nice start to a thread ! Some great ideas so far.

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

seadude

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on November 21, 2015, 01:15:39 AM
Then I'd rather use a Tunguska AA turret, because it is more "state of the art" with its combination of guns and missiles? Maybe replace the Russian AAm launch tubes with Sidewinders, as a kind of Chaparral AAM?

I don't have the money to blow on that Russian kit. And using Sidewinders as a kind of Chaparral AAM? No thanks. I'll look for something else. Chaparral is dead. Poor range and speed.

scooter

Quote from: seadude on November 21, 2015, 08:56:35 AM
Quote from: Dizzyfugu on November 21, 2015, 01:15:39 AM

I don't have the money to blow on that Russian kit. And using Sidewinders as a kind of Chaparral AAM? No thanks. I'll look for something else. Chaparral is dead. Poor range and speed.

There's always SLAMRAAM.
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

seadude

How about this for Abrams whif's: Civilian construction equipment? Think of all the things you could put on that Abrams chassis, then paint it yellow.  :thumbsup:

jcf

seadude

Quote from: joncarrfarrelly on November 21, 2015, 12:21:28 PM
Three pages already in this thread:
http://www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic,5727.0.html

Before I had started my own thread, I did try to do a search for past threads, but nothing came up. I'll read the other thread later when I have more time.

thundereagle1997

The army's new Griffin light tank (the Mobile FirePower) in 2023 is worse in almost every way in comparison to something GDLS hobbled together in the '90s. The army is regressing in many, many ways. We need armored vehicles that balance the following ideas. Rugged simplicity high reliability perfect  mobility compact but effect protection perfect surprise excellent ergonomics & extremely simple logistics is the way to go for armored vehicles not fat complex unreliable vehicles that don't work at all. The Abrams Bradley & Stryker anyone? Check out Blacktail Defence on YouTube for better detail on why the 3 armored vehicles I mentioned all suck!

seadude

thundereagle1997

Sorry about that I just don't think that an unmanned turret would make the M1 better. We need a new battle tank that uses the the lessons & doesn't repeat the mistakes of the Abrams.

scooter

Quote from: thundereagle1997 on May 06, 2023, 07:04:49 PMWe need a new battle tank that uses the the lessons & doesn't repeat the mistakes of the Abrams.

Please, enlighten us as to what you think the mistakes of the Abrams, as its a mature and successful (when used properly in a combined arms force) platform, are.
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng