Man in the High Castle - Concord

Started by Hman, November 22, 2015, 09:13:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hman

Just watched the first episode on Amazon Prime.  Well worth a look.  It featured a 'Concord' click here
"Lusaka Tower, this is Green Leader..."

RAFF-35

Wasn't sure whether it's be good or not, how plausible is it?  :lol:
Don't let ageing get you down, it's too hard to get back up

jcf

Quote from: RAFF-35 on November 22, 2015, 09:34:22 AM

Read the novel and answer the question for yerself.  ;D

Captain Canada

I just downloaded it I'll give it a try !

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

JasonW

I watched the first episode as well. It's actually pretty good and reasonably plausible. If alternate history is your thing (which it is for me) then you will probably like this one. I don't usually watch serials on television as I don't like to spend a lot of time watching television but I'm hooked into this one now.

At least I can watch this at my leisure on Amazon Prime, so I'm not tied into their schedule.
It takes only one drink to get me drunk. The trouble is, I can't remember if it's the thirteenth or the fourteenth.

- George Burns

lenny100

just finished with the whole lot got really hard to follow towards the end, to much going on and very disjointed
Me, I'm dishonest, and you can always trust a dishonest man to be dishonest.
Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to watch out for!!!

sandiego89

I too have just watched the first episode.  Liked it- and the "Concorde" looked very good.  Interesting cars as well for both the German and Japanese occupied zones. 
Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

zenrat

Quote from: joncarrfarrelly on November 22, 2015, 10:06:25 AM
Quote from: RAFF-35 on November 22, 2015, 09:34:22 AM

Read the novel and answer the question for yerself.  ;D

Read it once and its on the list to do so again but its in storage.  I hate that most of my books are in storage at the moment.  I keep going to look stuff up but the shelves are bare...
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Captain Canada

I've been so busy at work I forgot all about this ! Hoping to watch today...after my chores lol

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Logan Hartke

I watched the whole first season so far, and I quite like it. A lot of the actors do a good job, but I'm surprised by who I think has become the most interesting character in the series—Rufus Sewell as SS Obergruppenführer John Smith. Probably the most clearly "bad" of any of the main characters, he still plays the role with enough depth and conflict that you don't usually know what he's going to do next and even in the cases where you do, you still want to watch him do it.

I'm sure I don't need to remind most viewers of this, but pay attention to the details. Uniforms, flags, memorabilia on shelves, signs, posters, etc. They've really put a lot of effort into the costumes and set dressing to give the universe its own life and flavor. See the uniform above? It's not a standard SS uniform. Little touches like the modified armband and US-style row of ribbons subtly sets it apart.

Cheers,

Logan

Madoc

Logan,

Agreed!  Both the primary bad guys - Obergruppenführer Smith and Inspector Kido - are really well done.  They go far, far beyond the typical "Two Dimensonal Bad Guy" characters.  This, while still also being exceptionally evil men.  That takes great writing and excellent acting and they both hit high marks for it.

The "Nazi Concorde" is actually supposed to be some sort of rocket plane so it's far beyond what the Concorde actually was.
Wherever you go, there you are!

sandiego89

Mrs. Sandiego89 and I binged watched the 10 episodes over a few weeks.  Agree the acting, set design, costumes etc. are really well done.  Good show  :thumbsup:

Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

Gondor

Quote from: Logan Hartke on December 21, 2015, 11:14:28 AM
I watched the whole first season so far, and I quite like it. A lot of the actors do a good job, but I'm surprised by who I think has become the most interesting character in the series—Rufus Sewell as SS Obergruppenführer John Smith. Probably the most clearly "bad" of any of the main characters, he still plays the role with enough depth and conflict that you don't usually know what he's going to do next and even in the cases where you do, you still want to watch him do it.

I'm sure I don't need to remind most viewers of this, but pay attention to the details. Uniforms, flags, memorabilia on shelves, signs, posters, etc. They've really put a lot of effort into the costumes and set dressing to give the universe its own life and flavor. See the uniform above? It's not a standard SS uniform. Little touches like the modified armband and US-style row of ribbons subtly sets it apart.

Cheers,

Logan

I disagree Logan,

In the reference material I have the row of ribbons was used on uniforms by Germany. The nearest to the armband I could find is a triple white band used by NSDAP District and Group Leaders which did not have the bordered white disc for the Swastika, which would be totally inappropriate for a member of the SS to wear. However I do only have one small volume to look at so something could have been used that would be close.

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

Logan Hartke

Oh, neat. I'm not that familiar with SS uniforms to be honest, but the armband is clearly alternate history inspired by the US flag. You see the new Nazi American flag throughout the series, too.

Cheers,

Logan

martinbayer

Quote from: Madoc on December 21, 2015, 12:57:54 PM
The "Nazi Concorde" is actually supposed to be some sort of rocket plane so it's far beyond what the Concorde actually was.

This may be the case in the book, but in the adaptation the SST clearly has Concorde like underwing engine nacelles with inlets, see https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CI3Ikr8WwAQG0fk.jpg, indicating an airbreathing propulsion system. Now of course that could still be some sort of airbreathing rocket a la the Reaction Engines SABRE concept, but at least as shown it's certainly not a "pure" rocketplane.

Martin
Would be marching to the beat of his own drum, if he didn't detest marching to any drumbeat at all so much.