North Korean Yak-15 in 1/72

Started by KiwiZac, November 23, 2015, 01:27:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KiwiZac

Hi all,
A while ago I was browsing Wikipedia as I do many days at work, and started looking at the Yak-15. Essentially a Yak-3 with a jet whacked on the front, it began to intrigue me to the point I started looking at cheap Yak-3 kits online to bash with one of the hand-me-down built Me262s I received a while back. THEN I saw a Pioneer2 1/72 Yak-15 kit on TradeMe (NZ's eBay) for less than the cost of the cheapest Yak-3 so I figured why not?!

Well...how to paint it? This bothered me for a while until I rediscovered an A-Model Yak-18 sheet and AHA!

So now I have a nice little Korean People's Army Air Force Yak-15 from early in the Korean War. The type seems like a no-brainer for North Korea given they had Yak-9 piston-engined fighters. I have no backstory, just the kit - some fit issues around the wing you'll see but I just wanted a "slammer" - decalled with the aforementioned Yak-18 roundels and the nose number from the original kit.

Taildragging jets are just such a bad idea but I love how this type looks. I have to confess that, for the first time in a long time, I found myself "flying" it around the bench! I've downloaded versions for Microsoft Flight Simulator and Strike Fighters 2, so I look forward to seeing how it performs.

The only addition from the spares box was a small strut to replace the left gun barrel, which was gone when I got the kit. Nice and relaxing.

I hope you like it!
Zac in NZ
#avgeek, modelbuilder, photographer, writer. Callsign: "HANDBAG"
https://linktr.ee/zacyates

sandiego89

I do like it!  Good WHIF potential with this kit. 
Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

PR19_Kit

Excellent kittle build there.  :thumbsup: :bow:

Did it come with the clear canopy or is that a vacform one? I ask because the two Pioneer 15s I used to build my Yak-15Db had a yellow and a blue tinted canopy.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

DogfighterZen

"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

KiwiZac

Thanks folks!

Kit: it was a clear, injected canopy which had awful fit. A lot of extra cement was used to fill a big gap on the port side.
Zac in NZ

Dizzyfugu

Simple and clean, but a bit bare? It could have taken some tiger stripes in dark olive over the aluminum? Coll, anyway.

dumaniac

There is a 48 scale kit available as well (can't remember the manufacturer) - I did mine in Soviet red

PR19_Kit

Quote from: KiwiZac on November 23, 2015, 07:04:57 PM
Kit: it was a clear, injected canopy which had awful fit. A lot of extra cement was used to fill a big gap on the port side.

OK, I guess Pioneer used whatever 'clear' stock they could get hold of at any one time.  ;D

I recall that my canopy needed a LOT of PSR to get it to fit too.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

KiwiZac

Thanks Flyer!

Dizzyfugu - I don't like the look of stripes to be honest. Most of the North Korean MiG-15s I found were allover silver anyway, so that's what I went with. I agree it looks bare but I can't imagine what else I could add by way of markings that wouldn't get into silly territory (not going for silly here like, for example, my RNZAF Vulcan!).
Zac in NZ

sandiego89

Quote from: KiwiZac on November 24, 2015, 11:39:37 AM
Thanks Flyer!

Dizzyfugu - I don't like the look of stripes to be honest. Most of the North Korean MiG-15s I found were allover silver anyway, so that's what I went with. I agree it looks bare but I can't imagine what else I could add by way of markings that wouldn't get into silly territory (not going for silly here like, for example, my RNZAF Vulcan!).

Maybe not more markings, but perhaps some black anti-glare paint forward of the windscreen and some wing walk areas on either side of the cockpit?  Many NMF aircraft have both.  Realistic, and not silly at all- gives a bit of color interest to break up the silver. Also even just some small warning markings in yellow/red can add interest, a red ring around the nose intake might do the trick.    

Also a different shade of metal for the high heat areas on the belly aft the engine could provide some contrast.    

Not a criticism at all- just trying to offer some thoughts- NMF can be pretty boring. 
Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

KiwiZac

Dammit - the anti-glare panel!!! I thought there was something I forgot!

And good point about the belly. Expect some photos this weekend.
Zac in NZ

Captain Canada

Definitely a nice little build ! That's a cool aeroplane and looks like it would be fun to fly around the room ~!

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

zenrat

Lovely.
Mine flew round my shed pretty well but did leave scorching on the bench on take off...
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

KiwiZac

Thanks guys!

Yeah, taildragging jets...it's a shame, cos I think this and the Attacker look awesome.

Ok. Finished for real this time.

Zac in NZ

NARSES2

Come out well Zac.

I always find tail dragging jets look better posed in flight
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.