Northrop SM-62 Snark

Started by rickshaw, November 26, 2015, 07:14:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rickshaw

I'm specifically looking for photos of it's launch shelter.  I'm aware of the general, medium altitude airshots that are available of Presque Isle Air Force Base (the only operational Snark launching base) but I'm interested in shots showing the exit to the shelter, which the missile was launched from, if possible.

So, does anybody know of any?
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

scooter

The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

Captain Canada

Great link ! Thanks for starting this thread and sharing that one. Love seeing that kind of stuff. The aerial shot at the end is interesting. Time to start googling Snark stuff !

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

rickshaw

Quote from: scooter on November 27, 2015, 04:38:32 AM
Check here

Thanks.  So, where the missiles just assembled/stored in the shelter or were the missiles launched from it as well, like the Matador/Mace?

scooter

Quote from: rickshaw on November 27, 2015, 04:48:41 AM
Quote from: scooter on November 27, 2015, 04:38:32 AM
Check here

Thanks.  So, where the missiles just assembled/stored in the shelter or were the missiles launched from it as well, like the Matador/Mace?

I think they might be both.
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

PR19_Kit

The photo captions on that interesting site indicate that the missiles were rolled out of the buildings onto the circular pad thingies for launch. One of the captions mentions the fuel and air lines leading to the pad.

I'm surprised the Snark reached an operational stage, especially as it's test record was so abysmal, and until I saw that site I'd always assumed they scrapped it earlier on.

Thanks Scooter, that's good work.  :thumbsup:

Hmmm, I wonder what project Brian is working on so that he needs this information??  :unsure: ;)
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

rickshaw

Quote from: PR19_Kit on November 27, 2015, 06:55:47 AM
The photo captions on that interesting site indicate that the missiles were rolled out of the buildings onto the circular pad thingies for launch. One of the captions mentions the fuel and air lines leading to the pad.

OK, that, in a strange way makes sense and it was something I suspected might be the case the first time I saw an aerial photo of the launching site.   I couldn't figure out what the circular pad was there for, otherwise.

I'm surprised the Snark reached an operational stage, especially as it's test record was so abysmal, and until I saw that site I'd always assumed they scrapped it earlier on.

Well, it was a very much a case of technical over-reach.  Obviously the Programme had a momentum all it's own because by the time it reached the field, it was obviously not working very well in Real Life.

Thanks Scooter, that's good work.  :thumbsup:

Indeed.  It's made the task I've set myself a little easier.

Hmmm, I wonder what project Brian is working on so that he needs this information??  :unsure: ;)

You will have to wait and see, my friends, you'll have to wait and see.  ;)

The Big Gimper

From Spaceline - Covering the Past, Present and Future of Cape Canaveral - Snark Page

With an operational life of only four years, the Snark still remains one of the best remembered programs in the history of the Cape. Not only will the "skid strip" name endure in honor of the missile, so will tales of "Snark infested waters" stemming from Snark failures.
Work In Progress ::

Lots of stuff