Curtiss XP-37/YP-37

Started by KJ_Lesnick, November 30, 2015, 01:54:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wuzak

Quote from: KJ_Lesnick on December 23, 2015, 06:57:31 PM
Nope

All those I mentioned were air cooled in-lines.

As were/are the Lycoming and Continental opposed 4 and 6 cylinder general aviation engines.

The Ranger was used in the Bell XP-77

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bell_XP-77

KJ_Lesnick

wuzak

QuoteAll those I mentioned were air cooled in-lines.
How did they manage to get air to the aft cylinders?
That being said, I'd like to remind everybody in a manner reminiscent of the SNL bit on Julian Assange, that no matter how I die: It was murder (even if there was a suicide note or a video of me peacefully dying in my sleep); should I be framed for a criminal offense or disappear, you know to blame.

wuzak

KJ_Lesnick

Quote from: wuzak on December 26, 2015, 03:51:52 PMI'm baffled. Magic?

http://forum.valka.cz/attachments/3588/Dagger_Mk.VIII.jpg
So the air intake included passage ways that cooled all the cylinders.  Why did people keep developing radials and liquid cooled inlines?
That being said, I'd like to remind everybody in a manner reminiscent of the SNL bit on Julian Assange, that no matter how I die: It was murder (even if there was a suicide note or a video of me peacefully dying in my sleep); should I be framed for a criminal offense or disappear, you know to blame.

wuzak

Quote from: KJ_Lesnick on December 26, 2015, 07:19:40 PMWhy did people keep developing radials and liquid cooled inlines?

Liquid cooled cylinders can generate more power per unit capacity.

So air cooled engines tend to use bigger cylinders and/or more cylinders.

Air cooled engines also have to be of separate cylinder construction, so an air-cooled in-line 12 will be longer than the equivalent capacity liquid cooled 12.  And less rigid for mounting.

The radial allowed a lot of cylinders to be placed in a relatively compact volume.

KJ_Lesnick

KJ_Lesnick

Since the P-37 lead to the P-40 (due to the problems with the YP-37): I'm curious why they originally placed the radiator where they did initially (under the fuselage) rather than under the engine?

dogsbody

Quote from: KJ_Lesnick on January 17, 2016, 11:17:28 AM
Since the P-37 lead to the P-40 (due to the problems with the YP-37): I'm curious why they originally placed the radiator where they did initially (under the fuselage) rather than under the engine?

Have you tried reading any P-40 histories?

Chris
"What young man could possibly be bored
with a uniform to wear,
a fast aeroplane to fly,
and something to shoot at?"

jcf

Quote from: dogsbody on January 17, 2016, 01:32:46 PM

Chris

Why would she do that, when she can just come here and be a parasitic lamprey?  :banghead:

dogsbody

Quote from: joncarrfarrelly on January 17, 2016, 01:55:39 PM
Quote from: dogsbody on January 17, 2016, 01:32:46 PM

Chris

Why would she do that, when she can just come here and be a parasitic lamprey?  :banghead:

Where's the " Like " button?

Chris
with a uniform to wear,
a fast aeroplane to fly,

KJ_Lesnick

dogsbody & joncarrfarrelly

Actually, I have read several P-40 histories: What I have found was the following, and please correct me if I'm wrong

• The P-40 was based around a P-36 with a V-1710 engine
  • The R-1820 used by the P-36 had a ventral carburetor intake
  • The V-1710 required a carburetor intake up top
  • The P-40 had a carburetor intake up top
  • The XP-40 had a radiator placed along the lower ventral fuselage (no explanation as to why)
  • The XP-40 did not achieve an adequate degree of speed and as a result the radiator was repositioned forward to the production standard
That's what I got: The one piece of information I'm looking for I cannot find :banghead:

dogsbody

with a uniform to wear,
a fast aeroplane to fly,

KJ_Lesnick

dogsbody

QuoteAerodynamic drag!
I could have told you they pushed it forward for that reason -- why was it located back at first?  Did they believe that would be the best set-up?

wuzak

QuoteIt's the same reason why the Hawker Tornado originally had a ventral radiator (like the Hurricane) but ended up with a chin radiator (as did the Typhoon).
So that was believed to be a low-drag layout?

rickshaw

Quote from: KJ_Lesnick on January 19, 2016, 04:03:20 PM
dogsbody

QuoteAerodynamic drag!
I could have told you they pushed it forward for that reason -- why was it located back at first?  Did they believe that would be the best set-up?

*SIGH*, do you deliberately set out to upset people, Kendra/Robyn?  Of course they thought it would be a better set up or do you honestly believe they had decided to deliberately sabotage their brand new, wonder-weapon fighter plane before it had even reached production?

And you wonder why so many people believe you are a troll?   :banghead: :banghead:
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.