Project Hermes, or, Brits On The Moon

Started by KiwiZac, December 10, 2015, 05:37:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Weaver

Quote from: PR19_Kit on December 17, 2015, 08:52:47 AM
Quote from: Weaver on December 16, 2015, 08:10:16 AM

How about RAF Gan in the southern Maldives? That got a base in 1941 and remianed in UK use until 1976.

There's not much to Gan, it's little more than an airstrip with very little extra area to each side. But maybe a humunugous reclamation programme could enlarge it.  ;D

Actually I was looking at various atolls, including Gan and Diego Garcia, and wondering how feasible it would be to have structures in the middle of the lagoon, either floating or fixed to the seabed. Sea Launch managed to conduct successful launches from an actual ship, so it must be technically possible at least.

Sea Launch: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sea_Launch
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

PR19_Kit

Good idea but the platform would need to be a LOT larger than the SeaLaunch one, a Saturn V is MEGA compared to a Zenit 3!
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Weaver

Quote from: PR19_Kit on December 17, 2015, 02:01:43 PM
Good idea but the platform would need to be a LOT larger than the SeaLaunch one, a Saturn V is MEGA compared to a Zenit 3!

Oh granted, but then I'm not talking about a moving ship, just a floating tethered platform. In fact, the scale of the rocket might be the precise reason for choosing a stationary platform in an atoll rather than an actual ship which can go to the equator.

Also, I wasn't neccessarily thinking of Zac's 'British Apollo' missions using Saturn Vs anyway. There are other ways to run a Moon mission, one of which is to send multiple craft on separate, smaller launchers which only meet up at the Moon.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."

- Indiana Jones

KiwiZac

Quote from: Nick on December 16, 2015, 01:38:41 AM
Fantsatic model work there!

I just don't get the backstory. Why would a govt spend billions on something like this for no public benefit? Surely it'd be something to shout about?
It's classified for security reasons - ie, I'm not clued-up enough on why the military would want moon bases/expeditions. You could say the same for Apollo, minus the shouting about it: what did it achieve?
Zac in NZ
#avgeek, modelbuilder, photographer, writer. Callsign: "HANDBAG"
https://linktr.ee/zacyates

Martin H

if your looking for an alternative UK aligned location near to the equator. Theres always Ascension Island.

No local population to displace, no Tourists either. Entry has always been very tightly controlled so every thing could be kept away from prying eyes, and It would be easy to ship the Saturn sections direct from the U.S. eastern seaboard and from the Uk.

Bar the launch site, the only real construction needed would be a decent harbor and more facilities at Wideawake
I always hope for the best.
Unfortunately,
experience has taught me to expect the worst.

Size (of the stash) matters.

IPMS (UK) What if? SIG Leader.
IPMS (UK) Project Cancelled SIG Member.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Martin H on December 20, 2015, 12:02:21 PM
if your looking for an alternative UK aligned location near to the equator. Theres always Ascension Island.

No local population to displace, no Tourists either. Entry has always been very tightly controlled so every thing could be kept away from prying eyes, and It would be easy to ship the Saturn sections direct from the U.S. eastern seaboard and from the Uk.

Bar the launch site, the only real construction needed would be a decent harbor and more facilities at Wideawake

Yes, but the launch vehicle would pass over Africa a very short while after lift off. Ascension's pretty close to the coast, in spaceflight terms anyway.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Weaver

Quote from: PR19_Kit on December 20, 2015, 02:33:38 PM
Quote from: Martin H on December 20, 2015, 12:02:21 PM

Yes, but the launch vehicle would over Africa a very short while after lift off. Ascension's pretty close to the coast, in spaceflight terms anyway.

Also, you might have astronauts coming down from an abort in some pretty dodgy places, both practically and politically.

- Indiana Jones

Weaver

Quote from: KiwiZac on December 20, 2015, 11:18:27 AM
Quote from: Nick on December 16, 2015, 01:38:41 AM
Fantsatic model work there!

I just don't get the backstory. Why would a govt spend billions on something like this for no public benefit? Surely it'd be something to shout about?
It's classified for security reasons - ie, I'm not clued-up enough on why the military would want moon bases/expeditions. You could say the same for Apollo, minus the shouting about it: what did it achieve?

All three branches of the US military put considerable effort into studying moon bases pre-Apollo. It was seen as the ultimate surveillance and nuclear retaliation option.

- Indiana Jones

NARSES2

Quote from: KiwiZac on December 20, 2015, 11:18:27 AM
You could say the same for Apollo, minus the shouting about it: what did it achieve?

Teflon ? Pens that work upside down ? Although pencils already did that  :rolleyes:

Seriously there were a fair few spin offs from the space programme that entered every day life. Teflon was one if I remember my "Tomorrow's World" from the 60/70's
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.