Fairey Supermarine Swift F10

Started by andrewj, December 13, 2015, 09:14:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

andrewj

In late November 1958 , folllowing the end of successful flight tests of the Fairey Fireflash missile / Supermarine Swift F7 combination the Air Ministry decided to order the combination for squadron service with the RAF , however one proviso was that the aerodynamic faults of the early Swifts , including an unfortunate tendancy to pitch up would have to be cured.
As joint contractors Fairey in a very magmanious move offered Supermarine access to their delta wing research, and sop within a very short period of time the FS Swift F10 was born .
The new jet basically comprised a modified Swift F7 fuselage with a re-heated RR Avon engine mated to a new delta wing designed by a joint team from the two companies. Armaments comprised two Fairey Fireflash missiles and two 30mm cannon. The new wing eliminated the Swifts Aerodynamic faults , but also gave reduced fuel consumption and increased cruise speed , allowing the new jet to be marginally supersonic in level flight.
The aircraft served for most of the 1960's with the RAF until replaced by the EE Lightning in the interceptor role , they were also exported to several friendly nations.

Model is 1/48 scale and represents an aircraft of 74 Sqd RAF in the mid sixties

Andrew

PR19_Kit

What a SUPER job that is!  :thumbsup: :bow:

Not only is it a great idea but the model itself is superb. What are the components you used please? And did they include Mirage wings perhaps?

[Later] I'm already translating it into 1/72, Airfix FR5, Freightdog F7 conversion, Mirage III or V wings?

[Even later] Ah yes, looking at the underside view I can see they are Mirage wings, from the main gear and the tank. NO way would the standard Swift belly tank fit between those main gear legs.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

KiwiZac

I like it a lot. That wing is perfect on the Swift fuse. Gorgeous! Well done.
Zac in NZ
#avgeek, modelbuilder, photographer, writer. Callsign: "HANDBAG"
https://linktr.ee/zacyates

The Rat

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

sandiego89

wow, she looks great as a delta.  :thumbsup:

-Dave
Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

DogfighterZen

"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

CammNut

Someone made the Swift look elegant - amazing! Great concept, really great execution.

The Chaos

NARSES2

Quote from: CammNut on December 13, 2015, 09:12:07 PM
Someone made the Swift look elegant - amazing! Great concept, really great execution.

Agree totally, lovely model  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Dizzyfugu

THAT's cool, a great match. It would IMHO just need a pointed nose, just to make it look faster?

Well done, love it! Got to remember this combo...  :thumbsup:

stevehed

Lovely job. Reads and looks like a winner.

Regards, Steve

andrewj

Thanks for all the very kind comments.
Well spotted Kit it is indeed a Mirage III wing , in fact it's all Mirage from the intakes back . I happened to come by a Mirage kit with the nose missing and had a spare Falcon Swift F7 nose, the rest is history as they say.
Dizzyfugu, I kept the rounded nose because I thought a pointed nose would lose much of the Swift look.

Andrew

Gondor

Quote from: PR19_Kit on December 13, 2015, 11:10:00 AM

Not only is it a great idea but the model itself is superb. What are the components you used please? And did they include Mirage wings perhaps?

[Later] I'm already translating it into 1/72, Airfix FR5, Freightdog F7 conversion, Mirage III or V wings?

[Even later] Ah yes, looking at the underside view I can see they are Mirage wings, from the main gear and the tank. NO way would the standard Swift belly tank fit between those main gear legs.

Don't forget there is the Cold War GB at the start of next year kit so plenty of time to get the parts together ready for the build  :thumbsup:

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Gondor on December 14, 2015, 09:47:38 AM
Quote from: PR19_Kit on December 13, 2015, 11:10:00 AM

Don't forget there is the Cold War GB at the start of next year kit so plenty of time to get the parts together ready for the build  :thumbsup:

Gondor

My thoughts exactly Alastair.  ;D ;)
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit