Luftwaffe Messerschmitt P.1101 , April 1945

Started by nönöbär, December 20, 2015, 11:45:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nönöbär

Luftwaffe Messerschmitt P.1101 , April 1945

The Plane:

The Messerschmitt P.1101 was an experimental aircraft of a new fighter which was started to develop in mid 1944. While this aircraft was mainly planned to be a testbed for various new technolgies, its successor the P.1110 was planned to be the new primary Luftwaffe fighter.
The P.1101 was equipped with movable wings. They could be moved on the ground between 35° and 45° to find out the right angle for a swept wing configuration.
While the planed HsS-011 jet engine was not available yet, the first prototype was build with the well known Jumo-004 instead.

When US forces occupied the Oberammergau construction facilites, the first prototype was close to be completed and almost ready for its first flight. However, the aircraft caught interst of the US airforce and it was transported to the USA.
While it was never flown there, it was used to build the Bell-X5 experimental plane which was very similar to the P.1101.

The model shows the P.1101 V1 during flight preperation in April 1945, just before the facility was taken over by the US Army.

Various views of the Messerschmitt P.1101

The Model:

The P.1101 is an old Huma 1/72 scale kit. It did not fit very well so the result is not too good. The model is painted with Revell Aqua Color, decals are taken form the Huma model and some additional ones from the spare part box.
Daily updates from my engineer: https://twitter.com/Scratchbr1

--------------------
German Naval History               : www.german-navy.de
Bärenreisen                             : www.barenurlaub.de

dumaniac

Yes Huma was good for its time, producing aircraft that other manufacturers did not.  I have a few of those as well. Love your diorama and the He 280 (I think) on the side.

Nice going.

NARSES2

That looks really nice in that clean state  :thumbsup:

Must admit I've enjoyed every Huma kit I've built and I've built a few
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

nönöbär

Yes indeed, Huma made some intersting models. But for some of them (the older ones?) - quality is not so good. Of those i build, the P.1101 and EF128 did not really fit good. The He280 however was quite good to build. I have a few of them here left, so I hope they are better (especially the Fa 223 I have here).

--------------------

matrixone

Great job on this one and I like the pictures too! :thumbsup:

I am finishing a Me P.1101 right now, my model is being built from a Dragon kit and might actually fly, if I have one more problem with it the model will fly Mach 1 right into a wall. :banghead:  Dragon kits can be a little 'off' in the assembly phase and have been known to cause frustration.

Glad you had better luck with your Huma kit. :smiley:

Matrixone

nönöbär

Quote from: matrixone on December 23, 2015, 12:50:46 PM
Great job on this one and I like the pictures too! :thumbsup:

I am finishing a Me P.1101 right now, my model is being built from a Dragon kit and might actually fly, if I have one more problem with it the model will fly Mach 1 right into a wall. :banghead:  Dragon kits can be a little 'off' in the assembly phase and have been known to cause frustration.

Glad you had better luck with your Huma kit. :smiley:

Matrixone

Well......... Do you know why I kept the engine open? Ok, it looks nice, but the other thing is that that those engine covers simply did not fit. or the engine did not fit where it should. And not to forget about the pilot. When he was in, the cockpit cover did not fit anymore, because he was "Hans-the-2,30-meter-man".... Or so. So I had to get him out again and left the cockpit empty.
So much abut the Huma kit.....

But just wait for the next What-If, this kit does not have such details like a cockpit at all..... :)

--------------------

Tophe

Quote from: nönöbär on December 23, 2015, 01:42:21 PM
Do you know why I kept the engine open? Ok, it looks nice, but the other thing is that that those engine covers simply did not fit. or the engine did not fit where it should. And not to forget about the pilot. When he was in, the cockpit cover did not fit anymore, because he was "Hans-the-2,30-meter-man".... Or so. So I had to get him out again and left the cockpit empty.
I think this is the (genius) principle of "proactivity"... (I don't know if this word exist in English,) it means that, when you encounter a problem, you take it as an opportunity to do even better... :-\ ;D
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

matrixone

Yes I am well aware of the fit problems of the Huma kits, while I have not built the Huma Me P.1101 I have built several others including the Bf 609 which was fiddly to assemble and still sticks in my mind.
Right now I am finishing a Huma Ju EF 128 which was not too bad to put together but the wing roots were a bear to fill in as there were massive gaps and filling in the lower gaps next to the fuselage was difficult because they were nearly impossible to reach.

From what I understand Huma is no longer in business which is really sad, their line of kits were brilliant even if they were sometimes a chore to put together.

Again, you did a fine job on your model and the airfield style pictures are a joy to view. :thumbsup:

BTW, even though you might be burned out after building the Me P.1101 from Huma the Dragon Me P.1101 is a nice kit with better detail than the Huma version but can also be a challange to put together.

Matrixone

nönöbär

Yes, Huma did some interstign models and they are out of buisenss for quite a while now. I still have the Fa223 Draceh helicopter (looks more complicated to build) and the Ju 287 from them there.

I also made the EF  128 (http://www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic,40904.0.html), whih did fit better than the P.1101. But as this is a quite small palne, I was not able to put enough weight in the nose of it... :(

I don't think that I will make another P.1101 in the near future as there is so much other stuff to build here, but if so I will take a look for the Dragon kit, thx.

--------------------

matrixone

I like your Junkers Ju EF 128 too.

On my build of that kit I was able to cram enough weight to get it to balance....but just barely!
Look for pictures of the finished model in a few days, it is nearly finished AND the weather is supposed to be halfway decent. My area has received a record breaking amount of rainfall for the month of December. :blink:

Matrixone

NARSES2

Quote from: matrixone on December 25, 2015, 11:04:53 AM
it is nearly finished AND the weather is supposed to be halfway decent. My area has received a record breaking amount of rainfall for the month of December. :blink:

Matrixone

So have parts of the UK. The world's weather seems to be crazy at the moment
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

nönöbär

Same here in Germany, right now there are 16+ degrees, sunshine. No rain and of course no snow. Not what you expect for christmas. But maybe we have to in the future  :unsure:

--------------------

comrade harps

Simple but effective  :thumbsup:

As for the weather, here I am about 40km from the MCG Boxing Day test and I am modeling.  Usually it's too hot for that now.
Whatever.

Captain Canada

Love it. Such a tiny little bird ! Looks great in the dio setting as well.

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?