66 Ford Galaxy - Big Bertha

Started by zenrat, December 20, 2015, 11:44:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zenrat

Sykoic's AMG Mercedes reminded me of this.
What if you wanted a classic big Ford that went, stopped and handled like a more modern car?
It's an AMT '66 Ford Galaxy with a Tamiya Mercedes SLR 500 V8 engine, transmission and running gear transplanted in.

I don't appear to have any pictures of the completed underside but heres one of work in progress.

If anyones interested ;et me know and i'll get it out and take more pics of her bottom.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

PR19_Kit

Oh YESSSSSSSSSSSSS!  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I love those '66 Fords with the stacked headlights, and the 2 doors look even better with the long C pillars. What a super job.

And yes please, more pics of the underside.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Dizzyfugu

The Benz wheels look good on this classic car, too, esp. in this purple tone. NICE!

PR19_Kit

Being a GM fan the name 'Big Bertha' always means the DTV Holden V8 powered Ventora driven by the ire-pressable Gerry Marshal.

My mid-engined Triumph 2.5 PI powered Bedford CF van also shared the same name.  ;D

Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

zenrat

Here you go.

RHD dash is scratch built and the racing stripe is Hasegawa carbon fibre foil (actually adhesive backed mylar) which wasn't originally planned but was added to hide a paint flaw - possibly a chipped bonnet corner due to dropping it onto a concrete floor.
Fred

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

The Big Gimper

I have a '66 Ford Galaxy story.

As a young padawan, I decided to fall off (about 3 feet) my parent's back porch and smack my head on the stone patio. I was seeing double and mumbling about building future aircraft WHIFs. It was decided to take me to the hospital to restore me back only OTB builds. I was placed in the front seat of a very new 1966 Ford Galaxy (same colour as your build Fred) and decided to to go to hyperspace to putting the car into neutral. Being a sloped driveway, the car rolled down the driveway across the road and into the wrought iron fence in front of the school.

The next event was the school caretaker knocking on our front door with me in tow and asking my parents if that was their car impaled on his fence? I was exonerated from any beatings due to my previous brain damage. Luckily damaged was limited a shiny chrome bumper now having a "beauty" mark.
Work In Progress ::

Lots of stuff

PR19_Kit

But what about the damage to the fence???  :o  ;D

Love the car Fred, that running gear looks as if it was meant to be there. Which rather begs the question, 'Are the Ford engine, trans and axles under the Merc now?'  ;D

Regards
Kit

McColm

Excellent work,
Have you left the door mirrors off for a reason?

The Big Gimper

Quote from: PR19_Kit on December 22, 2015, 02:51:03 AM
But what about the damage to the fence???  :o  ;D

Love the car Fred, that running gear looks as if it was meant to be there. Which rather begs the question, 'Are the Ford engine, trans and axles under the Merc now?'  ;D

The same fence is still there albeit with a fresh coat of black paint. I will be in Toronto over the holidays so I will take a picture of moi with said fence. Sadly the '66 Galaxy is long gone.
Work In Progress ::

Lots of stuff

zenrat

Some cars look better with no door mirrors.  Impractical (especially on one this size) but true.
Also, quite a few kits (especially older AMT & MPC moulds) come without them.
You may also note there is no inside rear view mirror either.  This is because I never put one on any of my builds - if they don't need one on TV then I don't need one on my model.

Kit, the Ford engine (in Cammer guise) and transmission are in a Batmobile while the running gear is probably in a parts box.

Fred

McColm

Thanks for explaining the reason.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: zenrat on December 23, 2015, 09:58:58 PM

Kit, the Ford engine (in Cammer guise) and transmission are in a Batmobile while the running gear is probably in a parts box.

A CAMMER? Magic stuff, I love the look of that engine!  :thumbsup:

I used one in my 'Super Bug' Competition Coupe yonks ago. I think mine came from the IMC Ford GT kit.

Regards
Kit