RAF. Lockheed U.2 ?

Started by TsrJoe, December 22, 2015, 08:38:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on February 05, 2016, 02:00:58 AM
Quote from: KJ_Lesnick on February 04, 2016, 05:40:46 PM
Dizzyfugu,

I thought they were all painted black?

No, only later machines (when the TR-1 started) were black, AFAIK.

Not the case Thomas, some were black even in the early days. The one in the roof at Duxford is a black U-2A.

Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Captain Canada

I have never seen a camo U-2 ! Love it. I like the blue and gray idea, especially in RAF roundels.

:wub: :thumbsup: :cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

JayBee

Early examples of the U-2 were in NMF.
When the CIA started operating them (two years before the USAF got any) they were black, and that tended to be the totality of markings that they carried.
USAF examples were NMF or overall light grey, and a whole lot of special schemes depending on what they were being used for.
The two tone camoflage scheme was known as the "Saber Scheme" and was applied to U-2Cs operating out of bases in the UK. This was at the insistence of the UK Government as it was felt that overall black would appear too sinister.  :rolleyes:

The later "big" U-2s, U-2R etc, were invariably black.

There were of course examples operated by civilian agencies and these tended to be mostly white.
Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!

KJ_Lesnick

The two tone "sabre scheme" was the white and blue one?
That being said, I'd like to remind everybody in a manner reminiscent of the SNL bit on Julian Assange, that no matter how I die: It was murder (even if there was a suicide note or a video of me peacefully dying in my sleep); should I be framed for a criminal offense or disappear, you know to blame.

Dizzyfugu

Quote from: KJ_Lesnick on February 24, 2016, 08:34:06 AM
The two tone "sabre scheme" was the white and blue one?

Yes: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:U-2C_in_%22Sabre%22_livery_%282184203314%29.jpg

Not certain, but my bet would be on FS36622 (Camouflage Grey, from the SEA scheme; could also be FS36440) and 35190 (Pastel Blue) - there were USAF Cessna A-37s painted in a similar livery.