RAF. Lockheed U.2 ?

Started by TsrJoe, December 22, 2015, 08:38:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TsrJoe

A bit of a long shot, i recall a book launch at Telford a few years ago for a U2 history by Chris Pocock, im looking for a snap of the Lockheed display model which was on the authors signing table, I seem to recall it had roundels on the black finish ? (im wandering if it was part of Lockheeds ASTOR proposals or a stand alone submission?) I dont recall seeing the U.2 noted as a type the RAF. were interested in purchasing directly?  altho I do no a number of RAF. pilots flew the aircraft operationally

Cheers, Joe
... 'i reject your reality and substitute my own !'

IPMS.UK. 'Project Cancelled' Special Interest Group Co-co'ordinator (see also our Project Cancelled FB.group page)
IPMS.UK. 'TSR-2 SIG.' IPMS.UK. 'What-if SIG.' (TSR.2 Research Group, Finnoscandia & WW.2.5 FB. groups)

PR19_Kit

Didn't I just read this post a while ago?
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

TsrJoe

Yip, id posted it in the wrong section,  :rolleyes:

One of my tasks during the festive break is to see if I can find the folder of relevant Telford snaps, im sure I photographed the model in question  :banghead:

Cheers, Joe :)

IPMS.UK. 'Project Cancelled' Special Interest Group Co-co'ordinator (see also our Project Cancelled FB.group page)
IPMS.UK. 'TSR-2 SIG.' IPMS.UK. 'What-if SIG.' (TSR.2 Research Group, Finnoscandia & WW.2.5 FB. groups)

Dizzyfugu

The RAF would have certainly insisted on a Spey in the tail, and PRU Blue should look good on an U-2, too...?

PR19_Kit

I dunno know why they'd have needed U-2s when they already had Meteor PR19s.............. ;)
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

Leading Observer

Quote from: PR19_Kit on December 23, 2015, 03:27:31 AM
I dunno know why they'd have needed U-2s when they already had Meteor PR19s.............. ;)

:thumbsup:
LO

Observation is the most enduring of lifes pleasures

TsrJoe

Hehe, good point Kit  :thumbsup:

Roy Braybrook sketched a U.2 like Hunter derivative c. late 60's, I finished a model of same in overall PRU.blue, def suited the colour :)

Cheers, joe

PR19_Kit

Quote from: TsrJoe on December 23, 2015, 05:09:24 AM

Roy Braybrook sketched a U.2 like Hunter derivative c. late 60's, I finished a model of same in overall PRU.blue, def suited the colour :)

I've seen the drawing and your model Joe.

It looks superb, and a suitable candidate for a Freightdog conversion if only Revell would re-pop either of its Hunter kits!

Regards
Kit

KJ_Lesnick

PRU Blue wouldn't be good for the U-2 except maybe on top as the sky's black at high altitude or very very dark blue.  You would want something like

1. Bottom: Dark-blue/black
2. Top: Hill Grey variation would have been decent
That being said, I'd like to remind everybody in a manner reminiscent of the SNL bit on Julian Assange, that no matter how I die: It was murder (even if there was a suicide note or a video of me peacefully dying in my sleep); should I be framed for a criminal offense or disappear, you know to blame.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: KJ_Lesnick on February 03, 2016, 03:56:59 PM
PRU Blue wouldn't be good for the U-2 except maybe on top as the sky's black at high altitude or very very dark blue.  You would want something like

1. Bottom: Dark-blue/black
2. Top: Hill Grey variation would have been decent

But it looks GREAT!

Regards
Kit

Dizzyfugu

I'd go with PRU Blue or Medium Sea Grey upper sides (or even both for a two-tone scheme? The European U-2s based in Germany carried a two-tone erap-around scheme in light grey and light blue grey, IIRC) and Extra Dark Sea Grey undersides, which should be effective at altitude.

KJ_Lesnick

Dizzyfugu,

I thought they were all painted black?
That being said, I'd like to remind everybody in a manner reminiscent of the SNL bit on Julian Assange, that no matter how I die: It was murder (even if there was a suicide note or a video of me peacefully dying in my sleep); should I be framed for a criminal offense or disappear, you know to blame.

McColm

NASA has a few white and blue ones.

PR19_Kit

The early U-2s weren't painted at all, they were still in NMF even when the USAF started flying them.

Regards
Kit

Dizzyfugu

Quote from: KJ_Lesnick on February 04, 2016, 05:40:46 PM
Dizzyfugu,

I thought they were all painted black?

No, only later machines (when the TR-1 started) were black, AFAIK.
Here's one in that two-tone scheme: