Tamiya Ki-84 (old kit) finished.

Started by matrixone, December 23, 2015, 12:42:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

matrixone

No, its not a whiff but I nearly put this one in full Fw 190 camo and markings. :wacko:

This is an older Tamiya kit of the Ki-84 that was built O.O.B. except for the markings which are from Aeromaster, the kits decals had aged quite badly and were not usable.

Matrixone

Allan

a completed model by our very own Matrixone is very much an EVENT and this jewell is wonderful!
but for some reason this plane didn't receive either a jazzy Japanese or English name, did it....wonder why?
Allan

jcf

Quote from: Allan on December 23, 2015, 03:31:56 PM
a completed model by our very own Matrixone is very much an EVENT and this jewell is wonderful!
but for some reason this plane didn't receive either a jazzy Japanese or English name, did it....wonder why?
Allan

Uhhh, the Japanese name was Hayate which means 'gale', the Allied code-name was Frank.

sandiego89

Perfect amount of weathering and chipping.  Excellent. 

-Dave
Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

Allan

yes, you're right, it is the Hayate.....it was the Ki 100 I was thinking of that hasn't a jazzy name

matrixone

Thanks for the comments! :thumbsup:

Allan,
Unlike the Ki-84 the Allies did not even know about the Ki-100 until the shooting stopped so it did not get a name assigned to it.

Here is a picture showing both the Ki-84 and Ki-100 on the tarmac.

The same two aircraft at the airfield.

Matrixone

NARSES2

That's just gorgeous  :bow: :bow: The weathering is stunning, even down to the drop tanks
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

matrixone

Thank you NARSES, this older kit did not have that much surface detail on it which would have made weathering much easier.
When I can I would like to get a 1/32 scale model of this airplane, this is an attractive design and would love the chance to paint and weather a better detailed kit.

Matrixone

matrixone

Thanks Dizzyfugu! Much appreciated. :cheers:

Matrixone

DogfighterZen

It sure looks old to me... ;D
Excellent work as always! The weathering really makes it interesting, there's so much to look at.  :bow: :thumbsup:

:cheers:
"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

matrixone

Thanks DogfighterZen!

The challenge of making models of aircraft with simple camouflage schemes look interesting was made easier because of the way the paint chipped off many of the WWII Japanese Army aircraft.
The weathering I did on this one was as far as I wanted to go but believe it or not I have seen photograph's of other Ki-84's that had even more paint chipping than this one. :o

Matrixone

Dizzyfugu

Well done. And, in fact, a simple livery with some good weathering looks more interesting than a complex scheme that can easily look a bit too artificial. Melikes alot, inspiration for a Japanese whif on the bench in the near future...  ;D

broadside